Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,493,696 times

Advertisements

As they would say in Jersey..."You's guys..."

Can't we start a business or something? Everyday I see really bright, educated, or experienced people on here who are looking for work or a job where they don't work for the Marquis de Sade.
A company with a lot of really good people will crush any thing out there now, because most places are falling apart from the inside out.
I have been toying with some ideas, but heck, it's a real leap to start something alone.
I believe the only way to a quality life is to create it, because most employers only will work you to death, because they consider you, LABOR, a necessary evil they have to put up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 PM

151 posts, read 692,481 times
I completely get what you are saying. I am in the process of getting a cleaning service off the ground, mainly foreclosure clean outs. I am about to finish my flier and drop it off to every realtor that is in the area. Also I am going to get my license to become a daycare provider and open up my own daycare. Although there is a recession there are things you cancan do that will make money. people will always have kids, etc. etc. etc.
My husband always said people like bill gates didnt become rich by working for someone else all their lives.!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM

132 posts, read 402,881 times
Oh gosh, we have been toying with the idea of starting our own business for years, but the truth is, I actually would rather work for someone else. I know, I'm nuts. It is just that I have seen a lot of businesses go under. On top of that, I wouldn't want to have to deal with filing taxes every quarter or not being able to take vacation because who would run the shop, or having to figure out my own health insurance or retirement. I guess my personality is just too laid back to be in business for myself. If I were to open a business though it would be something like a tanning salon (yeah I don't mind giving cancer).

Old 06-04-2008, 08:34 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,144,733 times
Just because other businesses have failed, it has nothing to do with the success of yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Oh gosh, we have been toying with the idea of starting our own business for years, but the truth is, I actually would rather work for someone else. I know, I'm nuts. It is just that I have seen a lot of businesses go under. On top of that, I wouldn't want to have to deal with filing taxes every quarter or not being able to take vacation because who would run the shop, or having to figure out my own health insurance or retirement. I guess my personality is just too laid back to be in business for myself. If I were to open a business though it would be something like a tanning salon (yeah I don't mind giving cancer).

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,493,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
I completely get what you are saying. I am in the process of getting a cleaning service off the ground, mainly foreclosure clean outs. I am about to finish my flier and drop it off to every realtor that is in the area. Also I am going to get my license to become a daycare provider and open up my own daycare. Although there is a recession there are things you cancan do that will make money. people will always have kids, etc. etc. etc.
My husband always said people like bill gates didnt become rich by working for someone else all their lives.!

I am with you on this one, but there are already too many home cleaners in my area for me to start up on my own. I am trying to think of something else, that would be in demand. I could work well for myself, I am a hard worker. I don't need a title or an office.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

663 posts, read 2,257,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post

Hee! I hear ya! I am a very motivated person but not that motivated to devote my entire existence to my own business. Although I do think it would be kind of interesting to do.

I was thinking more of renee_cal's idea - a cleaning business, though. And cleaning foreclosures is a great idea of late!! But I can imagine some of them would be a big mess.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,811 times
Default Cleaning foreclosures

I am cleaning them out and making big money. Go to www.cleaningforeclosures.com and you can make big money also. Grat information to start your own business

Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,718,653 times
Different strokes for different folks.

While businesses may be rewarding, remember that 90% of all businesses fail and only 2-5% of the remaining actually expand into a profitable enterprise.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,712,024 times
It's way easier working for someone else than having your own business, where you can lose everything!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,515,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
As they would say in Jersey..."You's guys..."

Can't we start a business or something? Everyday I see really bright, educated, or experienced people on here who are looking for work or a job where they don't work for the Marquis de Sade.
A company with a lot of really good people will crush any thing out there now, because most places are falling apart from the inside out.
I have been toying with some ideas, but heck, it's a real leap to start something alone.
I believe the only way to a quality life is to create it, because most employers only will work you to death, because they consider you, LABOR, a necessary evil they have to put up with.
Confused about the reference to the Marquis de Sade ... help please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment