Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times

Advertisements

Here's my story. I have had a variety of jobs in my middle age years and the one I hated the most was working behind the cosmetics counter in a department store. The down time is mind numbing as well as how your feet feel by the end of the day. You have hourly,daily,weekly, and monthly goals to meet as well. Well, this was 21 years ago that I first did the Dept. store thing. Fast forward...been a stay at home mom for over 13 years, have damaged nerves in my metatarsal from standing for years in sales, and a bad knee but we are struggling financially and need a second income. My husband works for himself, at home placing people for a living but hasn't had a placement since last October although he had two offers to two people but they turned the offers down. I had been looking for months for a job where I wouldn't have to ruin my feet any further or my knee both of which I have been getting corizone shots in order to reduce the pain and stall getting surgery, but the only job that hired me right away is the one job I promised I would never do again which is selling cosmetics for a department store. I absolutely hate this job not just because of the wear and tear on my 52 year old body, but because of how they shove opening credit cards down our throats everyday calling it Outstanding Customer Service. They want us to greet everyone that comes to our counter shaking their hand and introducing ourselves and ask for their name like in car sales. We get rated on how many poor souls we get to sign up for a credit card and if we do this greeting all day long....kind of hard to do both in this economy especially with the department as dead as a ghost town! The boredom alone will kill me and I cry on my drive home from the pain. I don't know what to do as I feel the weight of supporting my family on my shoulders which is new to me after being home with my child all these years. My husband is good at what he does and when he does make a placement it is usually a substantial fee, but he needs to build his business and close some deals to hire other recruiters to really make good money. I haven't had a well paying job since before I was married and I cannot go back to it as it gave me permanent back problems. So....should I quit and try again, maybe temp work or endure the pain and the mental stress? The more positive the better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
In the end unless you have some special skill that you love you may be stuck. Even things that sounds exciting at first can get old.Work is work unless you get very lucky or are born with a sliver spoon in your mouth.Wroking for yourself is risky because of what you have invested;long hours and you never are really away from work.Good luck

Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I'd find a job sitting down - receptionist, file clerk, working front office at a vet or doctor's office or dentist office, data entry, call center (inbound), dispatcher, anything where you spend most of the day sitting down.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
You want my opinion?

You find a job that suits your health better, even if it's less pay, like the preceding letter suggests.
Your husband finds a job that pays him a salary or hourly wage, not a commission only based job. A go-to-work job.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Ever considered a driving job? Maybe a flower delivery or parts delivery job? I use to be a truck driver when I lived in CA and it was the best job I ever had. I rarely had to lift a finger except for the small items and it was just a matter of jumping in the truck once the guys had it loaded and doing the rounds for the day. Any jobs with the school systems are good pay with great benefits like food service, bus driver although that would require some standing and walking. Now that we are semi-retired my hubbie sells parts online. He works about 4 hours a day and makes enough to help out a lot! Of course he has a great inventory because he closed up his shop in CA and we brought all those parts with us in our move! But I have heard of people making $$ with online jobs. I'll keep my thinking cap on and see if I can think of any other jobs you may want to consider. Personally I would also find it difficult to work in an environment such as in a department store too. The day would seem to drag on not to mention the standing all day long.........

Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Hubby won't change jobs...been there done that with that discussion and it is very frustrating, but he truly believes he can do it and has worked for himself since we have been married for 17 years most of which afforded us living very well until the dotcom industry took a dump..so did we but I won't bore you all with that. We only have one car due to finances but at least I own it! I look everyday for something else, mainly reception work... have an appointment today for a hair salon, use to be a hairdresser (involves standing.) I know how tough these times are for people keeping jobs and getting them especially being over fifty or with limited computer knowledge, which fits me both, but I am told that I look in my thirties so hopefully that will be an advantage.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM

On my Orthopedic doctor's advice, I quit my crappy job today. Standing jobs are not good for bad knees. Already had an interview today at a Spa for front office work and have another at a payroll company in customer service and admin..cross your fingers for me

Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
Good luck, I wish you the best!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Good luck, I wish you the best!
Thank you! Had two good interviews today besides melting in this horrible heat! One pays more than the job I just quit and should know by the end of the week. Will never work retail again!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I could use some advice regarding asking for more money than the original amount offered. I have a second interview scheduled with a company I only interviewed with today but we hit it off really well and the office manager wants me to meet the owner in two days. She said because it is entry level, that the salary is 30k. Since she liked me enough to call me back right away would it be out of line to ask for $31k? I would still take it but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment