Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times

Advertisements

I am at the point to where I don't even feel "real" when I am in a job interview. It's getting tougher for me to "play the game". I just can't do it anymore. Although I do need to continue my job search, it's just becoming a painful process mentaly. Sometimes I feel like I am making a complete ass out of myself. I am so sick and tired of "telling them what they want to hear". I feel like I am losing apart of myself.

I know what I want to do in terms of my "career" but I have to have cashflow coming in so I can make things happen. What I want to do involves creating my career(entreprenuership) not going out and begging someone for it!

Am I wrong for feeling like I don't want to do this stuff anymore?

The jumping through hoops and all the other bull you have to do. Can someone really know who I am based on 1 sheet of paper and a half hour conversation?

Has anyone else felt this way before?

cr

Last edited by Ron.; 06-10-2008 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,159,691 times
I know exactly what you are feeling and I feel like I am putting on a performance every time I interview. I have interviewed alot in my time and everytime you have to have "enthusiasm and a high level of interest" in what your interviewer is saying, while inside you are ready to either go to sleep or bolt out of the door because you know within the first five minutes if you want this position or not. Guess this is why so many never leave their jobs and tend to play it safe. In a way I envy them, but I would be bored out of my mind. Unless you work for yourself, you have to jump through the hoops to work for someone else. Is there a way for you to get a loan from your bank or a family member to invest in your dream? At least you seem to have a vision of what you want to do professionally. I haven't since I was 21 which is a very long time ago. I feel like I have a career...professional interviewer/bull****er!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
When I start to feel that I way I tend to sign up for a course at the community college that sounds interesting and at least vaguely useful. Even stuff like "planting a vegetable garden". When the interview asks what "makes me different" or something then I can bring up the class and sound enthusiastic about SOMETHING.

Of course this is even more important for career changes, and then I try to take classes related to the skill/industry. Courses like these can be very cheap. I mean like $35 for a weekend.

Just a tip.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM

P,

I am in the process of lining things up now as it relates to investing in my dream. It's pretty much DO or DIE. I am 34 andI just can't take the "job thing" anymore. I am not bragging on myslef but I am a very smart and talented person with a whoooooooooooole lot of unused potential. I MUST pursue my dreams or life probably will forever be a nonstop rollar coster ride without any stability.

I agree, many people do play it safe and will never leave the jobs that they absolutely hate. I just can't see myslef living like that. I don't know when I am going to die, it could be tomorrow and possibly in another 50 years. While I am living I want to be happy doing what I want to do, building my dream!

Thanks for responding. It's good to know that I am not the only person that feels this way.

I had a job interview this morning, and to be honest I could careless if they call me back or not! That's my attitude now. I just want to focus on what I want to do with my life, not what some company wants me to do with my life.

I do have a job that pays the bills and it's not a bad job but it pays very,very little. So it's a must that I have at least another part-time job or one decent paying job.

Good luck!

c.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I know exactly what you are feeling and I feel like I am putting on a performance every time I interview. I have interviewed alot in my time and everytime you have to have "enthusiasm and a high level of interest" in what your interviewer is saying, while inside you are ready to either go to sleep or bolt out of the door because you know within the first five minutes if you want this position or not. Guess this is why so many never leave their jobs and tend to play it safe. In a way I envy them, but I would be bored out of my mind. Unless you work for yourself, you have to jump through the hoops to work for someone else. Is there a way for you to get a loan from your bank or a family member to invest in your dream? At least you seem to have a vision of what you want to do professionally. I haven't since I was 21 which is a very long time ago. I feel like I have a career...professional interviewer/bull****er!

Last edited by Ron.; 06-10-2008 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Yup C.E, you have the right idea.

Also I am going to start volunteer teaching financial literacy workshops. At leat I know I'll be helping someone improve their life while I work on improving mine!

c.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When I start to feel that I way I tend to sign up for a course at the community college that sounds interesting and at least vaguely useful. Even stuff like "planting a vegetable garden". When the interview asks what "makes me different" or something then I can bring up the class and sound enthusiastic about SOMETHING.

Of course this is even more important for career changes, and then I try to take classes related to the skill/industry. Courses like these can be very cheap. I mean like $35 for a weekend.

Just a tip.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,197,417 times
I know what you mean. I know I'm not my real self when I'm in an interview unless it's for a position that I'm really passionate about. Then I don't realize how "fake" I was until I get to working somewhere and my real self comes out and I worry that everyone is thinking of me differently.

I have two jobs myself, and they're still not exactly cutting it. I'd love to be able to work for myself, but I'm not sure that I'm really good at any one thing. Sometimes I just sort of feel mediocre at everything.

good luck to you though.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM

SNG, I think many people may somewhat feel mediocre at many things. I don't feel I would be the best business owner but I do think I can be successful and a great boss. I enjoy enriching the lives of others. I want to use the tool of entreprenuership to enrich my own life. It's exciting just thinking about it.

SNG, I am sure there are manyy things you're great at, especially with a name like SNG, that's very telling in itself!

Good luck~

c.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I know what you mean. I know I'm not my real self when I'm in an interview unless it's for a position that I'm really passionate about. Then I don't realize how "fake" I was until I get to working somewhere and my real self comes out and I worry that everyone is thinking of me differently.

I have two jobs myself, and they're still not exactly cutting it. I'd love to be able to work for myself, but I'm not sure that I'm really good at any one thing. Sometimes I just sort of feel mediocre at everything.

good luck to you though.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
You will find it difficult to get hired on the merrit of who you are as a person and the potentials you think you have. An employer hires you for what you bring to the table and have proven to do so.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM

No kidding.

But that has nothing to do with the question.............

good luck

cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You will find it difficult to get hired on the merrit of who you are as a person and the potentials you think you have. An employer hires you for what you bring to the table and have proven to do so.

Last edited by Ron.; 06-10-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM

732 posts, read 4,147,911 times
You are not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search