U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,629,431 times
Also, don't get real hung on figuring out what you said or did wrong. Likely nothing, there was just someone else that was a better fit for the position.

I walked into one interview where they obviously had a candidate already picked out, but had to interview me anyway cause I was already scheduled... they couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

I have an interview today, wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 AM

4,189 posts, read 2,255,518 times
Good luck gardener!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,123,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj973jersey View Post
Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris

It is hard to get a good feel. Most interviewers are polite and friendly, they want to get a read on you.
Most will say they will be in touch with you or "you will hear from us" or "we will consider you for the job."
Well, it's not real until they call you for a second interview or on the phone, make you an offer. "We at Acme Incorporated would like to offer you the position of chief bonzo making $$$ per year."

Although I had one make me an offer like that, then tell me I had to move and start the job in 2 weeks. I was floored, because there was no way I could relocate and start in 2 weeks. Especially when it took her 2 months to get back with me after the interview. After making me a formal offer, she said, "Oh don't worry, we are still interviewing."...I said, "You just made me a formal offer with a dollar amount." She seemed clueless, a real out to lunch manager. Oh yes, make me an offer I cannot meet, because I couldn't move and relocate and start in 2 weeks.
Why not just tell me she found someone else, and wasn't interested in me anymore...being direct is so much better.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,299,628 times
i know i got the job if they make me go for drug test/physical. that they paid and i always pass it coz im not a junkie.

when they tell me they will call or give me their calling card after the interview.. 2 days later.. hello rejection letter.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,271,254 times
You know at the end of the interview whether or not you got the job. Either you got good feedback and you feel good or you got bad feedback and you feel like "man I sure f***d that up". I have interviewed for jobs where I have been asked questions that I was not prepared to answer. And if you cannot think of a good lie fast, you will give a stupid answer. I remember once when I was a finalist for a position in North Carolina, one of the interviewers asked me "so what is it about North Carolina that makes you want to live here?" and not being able to think of a lie because I knew nothing about North Carolina I said "well I guess that good old Sooner basketball here". Needless to say that didn't work out so well.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:23 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,338,534 times
I had a job interview for 3 hours! panel interview then sat with someone in their marketing dept....and STILL didnt get the job. The woman touched my arm and said I will be giving you a call end of the week (it was Thurs.) and NOTHING!!!!! a rejection letter. Needless to say I got another call back from someone again for a different position!! so well see!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,417,501 times
I had a job interview once where the person told me I had the job and they just had to interview the person who was coming in right after me because it was already scheduled and they didn't have time to cancel it. They never called me back. They gave it to the other person.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,298,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj973jersey View Post
Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris
When they have you come in to fill out reams of paperwork for HR purposes.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:41 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,645,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When they have you come in to fill out reams of paperwork for HR purposes.

Bingo..

I had an interview last week. I think my past work history is perfect for the job, and I think the interview went pretty well despite the fact that it was focused more on personality rather than my abilities. It went on for hours, and at the end I got the handshake, the card, and the "You'll hear from us early next week" thing too. So now its next week and time to play the waiting game...

Aren't interviews so exciting!?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,746,445 times
Had an interview today. I do not think its looking good for me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment