U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,641,154 times
Default Humour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj973jersey View Post
Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris
I have to say that I laughed when I read your post. So, sincere. I hope you get the job, but some interviewers are purposely unreadable. Often you can tell, if an interview went well, particularly if it is just one person, versus a multipe person interview. In my opinion, the easiest to read are supervisors and owners of company, because they have less time to waste and are often the decision makers. The hardest to read are human resource people and young interviewers, since they have more time to waste and rely on the process rather than content and are not usually the decision makers.

But personally, from experience, I don't count on a job, until I have actually walked through the door and started working. Also, legally speaking, it is easier to prove that you were hired, when you have actually started working. In our "at-will" environment, Until you are actually on the clock, you are not hired, unless you have signed a business contract and I don't mean tax forms or background checks. Up until the point, they can easily renege without any unemployment repercussions.

Hopefully, you made a better impression that your competitors and Good luck with the new job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 21,471 times
i had my second interview and at the end the asst. dirrector said they will get back to me next week? but then she said she wanted my finger prints and i.d cards wich i had already obtained in order to be a temp. can someone tell me what in the world does that mean?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM

45 posts, read 137,446 times
I had my first interview today. Met with 5 different people. They said to email my references and they would have me come in for a casual interview on Monday or Tuesday.

Do I have a good chance?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,813,748 times
Who knows? At this point I wouldn't count on anything until I had the first check in my pocket.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,126,258 times
They set you up with a second interview right away or they say you are hired and to please fill out information so they can do a background check.

Quote:
Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris

Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,126,258 times
If they say they will call you early next week with their decision they are usually saying "We will not call you back". Basically a lie. It's another way of saying we are interviewing other people, don't wait for us to call.

Quote:

Chris

Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
FBJ

32,857 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:

Chris

1. The person you emailed a thank you letter to responds to your email the same day

2. The interviewer tells you a SET day that you can expect to hear from he/she

3.The Interviewer discusses pay frequency during the interview

4.Interviewer introduces you to staff members before you leave.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillHouse763 View Post
I had my first interview today. Met with 5 different people. They said to email my references and they would have me come in for a casual interview on Monday or Tuesday.

Do I have a good chance?

Sounds like it since they gave you a set day and not just NEXT WEEK

Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 PM

45 posts, read 137,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Sounds like it since they gave you a set day and not just NEXT WEEK
Doing a job shadow for half a day on Tuesday...they called me earlier today and I confirmed. It appears like I almost have the job locked up if I play my cards right.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillHouse763 View Post
Doing a job shadow for half a day on Tuesday...they called me earlier today and I confirmed. It appears like I almost have the job locked up if I play my cards right.

Yes from experience when you hear a actual DAY, that's a very good sign.

Bad Sign is-"we will contact you next week"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment