Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 AM

386 posts, read 1,052,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
A 2nd interview and being introduced to the staff apparently doesn't mean anything. I got that as well at a job I really wanted. The 2nd person who interviewed me showed me around the place, and kept saying, "This is what you will be doing..." and would say that he hoped I got hired.

And then I lost the job to the one other candidate who got a 2nd interview as well.

That stung.

I have other work now but I really, really wanted that job. I still don't know what I did wrong and it's the first time, ever, that not getting the job really bummed me out. Of course, it was the first time in a long time that I actually really wanted to work there, not just show up to collect a paycheck.
Ya, it really hurts to not get the jobs you really want, especially when its you and one other person, and you never know why it didn't work. Being introduced to the ppl and having him say what u would be doing is especially difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 AM

17 posts, read 46,241 times
If you are confident about your answer in all the questions in the interview that is a good sign that you are a good contender for the job. No offense to you but we cant be as confident enough for their are also people who are much better that you. And it would be a big disappointment to you if you expect to much. Just wait for the call and if it is positive that you get hire that's the time you can assure that you got the job.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
If during the interview, the interviewer says "You would be doing x, y z etc." rather than "The person in this position would be doing X, Y Z". If they give you a definite timeframe to follow up rather than say 'we are still interviewing other candidates this week', walk you to the elevator at the end of interview & make small talk & point out different parts of the department than that is very positive.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
weird, some of my friends feel very optimistic, they think I have a very good chance at getting hired at the Grocery Store where I had my Interview at because of the Strike

Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I remember this lady gave me a tour of not only the company but the entire building and I still didn't get the job-lol

So i don;t think getting a tour is a good sign

Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I remember this lady gave me a tour of not only the company but the entire building and I still didn't get the job-lol

So that wouldn't be a good "hint" but, "You receive a response to your thank you letter the same day" is a good hint? Or a sign, or whatever. Just trying to keep all the ducks in a row when advice from an employment counselor is posted since, as much as I'm enjoying a temporary break from employment right now, I will eventually be looking and input from a professional is always welcome.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
If during the interview, the interviewer says "You would be doing x, y z etc." rather than "The person in this position would be doing X, Y Z". If they give you a definite timeframe to follow up rather than say 'we are still interviewing other candidates this week', walk you to the elevator at the end of interview & make small talk & point out different parts of the department than that is very positive.
Interviewer says, "You will be doing X, Y, Z" : check

Definite timeframe to follow up: check

Walk me to the elevator: check

Make small talk and point out different parts of the department: check

Still didn't get it. The only true hint is the phone call asking you to come to work.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So that wouldn't be a good "hint" but, "You receive a response to your thank you letter the same day" is a good hint? Or a sign, or whatever. Just trying to keep all the ducks in a row when advice from an employment counselor is posted since, as much as I'm enjoying a temporary break from employment right now, I will eventually be looking and input from a professional is always welcome.
Yes it was a good sign because no one ever replied to a thank you email before and she stated again what day I would hear from her. Someone is really going to go out of their way to write you back when they have no intention of hiring you?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Interviewer says, "You will be doing X, Y, Z" : check

Definite timeframe to follow up: check

Walk me to the elevator: check

Make small talk and point out different parts of the department: check

Still didn't get it. The only true hint is the phone call asking you to come to work.
If they gave you a DAY you would hear from them then it's a good sign.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Sad, but funny!
"Here's the workstation where we work (but of no interest to you), the coffee machine (that I'd show you to use, but what's the point since you won't be here), and here's the lounge (which you'll never get to use), and here's the...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search