Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I am on the right track I hope. Ive been going to night school for 8 years to get my degree. I will continue on to my MBA soon. I have a good resume for my age so I hope my dream job will come when My wife and I relocate.
Good luck to you and your wife on your relocation. Change can be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I don't know what my dream job is...all I know is that my current one is NOT it. But I am young (I graduated college last year!) so I know that I have lots of time to figure my life out and go back to school if need be.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Always wanted to be an Electrician like my Father was. So here I am after 26 years and while I still love the job, it is getting hard to do. Years of pulling wire wears on you, and that part isn't fun at all anymore, but other aspects of the job have taken over as great things to do. A lot of my jobs now involve some sort of data cable and communications, and I love it. Warm in the winter and cool in the Summer, plus you are in a different place all the time so it doesn't get old. I am due for a change in career though, I am getting burned out. Wondering how a well educated, overweight, ex-construction worker can land a fishing show on ESPN or Versus. Now that would be a tough gig to get up for every day... "What, I have to go fishing AGAIN today, damn the bad luck ."

Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Great outlook Bydand and looking forward to seeing your new show!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Puffle, thanks for the encouragement. I am still thinking about a career change. Thing is, I am really good at the design stuff.

I have good references and have always gotten good reviews.

Just getting burned out on the continual job searches. I mean it is expected that there will be layoffs, but finding a new job every few years is heartbreaking and going on tons of interviews and not getting them is depresssing. It is only going to get worse as I get older. So I am thinking of jumping ship.

Working at a nursery is a good idea. There is one in town.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I love my "job"! BUT it certainly isn't what I went to school to do....I loved teaching, and I loved working in social services, but I was looking for a change. I think you just know when it's time to do something else, and it's important to move along if you can. I replaced my income and now work from home. My dream now is to retire DH by replacing his income. That will take me a while, he's got a great job, but I'd love to be able to have him home with me, and have the freedom to take off for the day or a few days at a time. We'll get there!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM

12 posts, read 26,448 times
Yes my dream job came thru and thats were iam at now my dream job

Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
NO.

I wanted to be a teacher. But at the time all the career counselors in the 80s said don't go into the field, it doesn't pay. What misguided advice! Our state has great salaries and benefits and a pension. I am too old now to start over in my mid-40s.

My other choices were graphic arts or journalism. I picked graphic design cause I am a pretty good artist. Wrong move. The field is totally glutted. Every other year they want you to be an expert in a completely new program. I started out illustrating and doing layouts, then computers came in. Then photoshop. Latest is html and 3-D rendering - yeah, I went to art school to become a code monkey... not. But you can't get a job without it. As the companies all want someone who can illustrate, design, retouch, copywrite, and in the meantime, design and keep up a website. And of course, don't want to pay jacksquat.

And when the economy hiccups, you are out of a job cause the marketing budget is the first thing to be cut. Oh yea, and work til 9-10:00 many nights. Some depts. overnight it or work til 2am... And weekends.

The company I just got laid off from didn't want to have to pay for you to learn all these new programs. So swamped with work, that there was never time to go to an enrichment seminar or a tradeshow.

Still at the same salary rate I was at 10 years ago. 3 rounds of Layoffs in 11 years, have stagnated my earnings. Layoffs are very common. And I don't like to freelance much cause of the whole benefits thing.

Seriously, you can make as much as an administrative asst. who does not need a college degree. I may do that if I don't get a position by Oct.

I should have chosen journalism, there are a lot more jobs available and it is more versatile of a degree. I could have worked in a wider variety of industries.

If I could do anything now, I would have something to do with landscaping or nurseries as I am a gardener by hobby.

Wow, same here, I had picked Graphic Design because I can draw. Doesn't matter now, because anyone and their brother can manipulate computer programs, just like photographers can't get jobs, because of stock photos. I worked at a marketing firm, and they were paying this freelance graphic designer all this money, and the ad was so poorly designed. My boss disliked it, so I said, "Get rid of the cheap clip art, it weakens the message, screen in a background, run the type over it, and leave white space around the ad. Let the logo and the positioning statement be the "title" of the ad." She liked it and said to call the designer and tell them what to do. The designer got paid $60 an hour and I got my $11 an hour for my work.
Starting a business in it is very hard, because you have to be more than proficient in the computer programs, which change like baseball players on team.
I still can draw, but there is no need for it in the real world. I can write too, but many people can make words dance on a page, and trying to make it as a writer, one needs very good connections or an uncle who owns an agency or publishing house.

One learns as one ages, that it's not always the best people who succeed. Look at the music industry. Most of those people the media screams about aren't the best musicians.

A dream job? I thought work was supposed to be work, so it's sort of an oxymoron. If you are being paid to do something you really enjoy, you are more than lucky. But the saying "Find what you love and the money will follow" won't work if no one wants to pay you for what you like to do.

Sometimes, career gurus live in ivory towers and say really funny things about the real world out there.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I dreamed of being an airline pilot from a young age. And here I am - and I hate it. My dream has eroded into a nightmare, so I'm looking for a way out. The industry is about to collapse anyway so...

My new dream would be to be a professional photographer with my own galleries. I have sold stuff in the past, and I'm getting more and more interest so who knows what the future holds.

I can understand this...since deregulation and all...I can remember when flying was a great experience. People actually got dressed up to fly, but now, it's a bus ride in the sky. No more stewardesses, but people paid to push carts down aisles and ask what you want to drink.

When my daughter was 4, we were flying to Florida, and she was so happy to get on the plane, and the pilot let us into the cockpit and flipped on the control lights which lit up like a Xmas tree. It is a very different world today.

You can pack your own lunch too.

And all this "security" has made it all insane. I don't feel safer up there at all.

I always respected pilots, but I think now, like any other industry, the bean counters are trying to weedle down your pay, make you work longer and harder, and basically ruin the business.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
The idea of a "dream job" is a part of the self-delusional post-sixties mentality that created "self-esteem", workaholic baby boomers who will spend their 90's at their desks, and a generation of kids who are too good to mow a lawn or work at a grocery store.

A job is a means to an end. My dream job is the one where I make so much money I don't have to work anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment