U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

67 posts, read 135,359 times
I agree these are hard times. But hard times don't explain away plain financial irresponsibility, which is the case for many folk.

I've watched several people leave beyond their means, spend money they didn't have foolishly, and now it's just caught up to them. It's like the wall of denial has come tumbling down.

To those who are struggling: You need to come up with a plan. if your plan isn't working, then you need a better one. Get a job, or get another job. Get a roommate or rent out a room. Grow your own vegetables. Learn how to cook bean soup. Stop complaining and do something about your life.

There are people who do, and people who complain and mope about how unfair things are. Which one are you?

There are no dream jobs out there. You work to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 5,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You know the saying, "Do what you love and the money will follow"? How many of you are doing what you love as a living? If you aren't, why and what was your dream job?
I am blessed with doing what I love, and the money has followed. That came about in 1982, and I've lived a fruitful and rewarding life meeting wonderful people along the way, while cultivating a career/profession from my home office. We still live a modest lifestyle, are happy with that, and would have it no other way. In addition, there's a sense of satisfaction knowing I've accomplished this, and was only a part of the "employee workforce", which I hated, for a short time. Of course, working 24/7 is the way of the self-employed, but it suits me just fine! It just doesn't get any better than this for me, anyway!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM

5,852 posts, read 1,368,411 times
Thank you rdlr for proving the naysayers wrong. Dream jobs do exist....you just have to stop being negative and dream I am so happy you wrote your post and hopefully can inspire others to try and live their dream and if you have gotten lost along the way, try and learn something from the people that have posted here about their dream life and job. That was the purpose of my starting this thread.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM

9,808 posts, read 12,953,584 times
I have said for a long time, "If you have a dream, it's worth every effort. Sometimes you'll have to admit that it's not happening or going to happen. You'll have the satisfaction of trying and knowing what it is, and what it isn't. And be ready to pay an unknown kind of price that can cost you for trying."
It *is* worth every effort. But there are always people around saying, "Go for it," when they are unwiling or "unable" to do so, or are in a very different situation. I've "gone for it" more than once, crashed into the wall, found out what my dreams really are and what they aren't. I now plod along for my paycheck and pension, do a good professional job, and can't wait to stop doing it for retirement or part-time work.
I consider myself an honorable failure.
It is worth every effort. It might cost you in ways you can't imagine.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Great and honest post brightdoglover. Always appreciate what you have to say. I can't remember if you are a teacher or in the medical profession but either way you have an honorable job that hopefully is fulfilling in some way to you and that you are appreciated I am sure by many. Plus you love dogs so how can you not be a wonderful person! I don't agree with your choice of words of being an honorable "failure" just because things did not pan out as you had hoped. Those that try are not failures to me but very brave to have at least tried...your dreams still may be attainable...

Last edited by puffle; 06-22-2008 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I consider myself an honorable failure.
It is worth every effort. It might cost you in ways you can't imagine.
Dear brightdoglover,
No such thing as a failure.....We all try to be the best we can, do the best with what we've got, and I'm confident that you are an Honorable Person doing a Great Professional Job. That is not a failure!

rdlr

Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 AM

9,808 posts, read 12,953,584 times
Thanks so much for the kind words. I guess I still have the 1960s sitting on my shoulder (although I finished high school in 1971) and still think I should have found something meaningful, etc. etc. to do
I am currently working as a night psychiatric RN. I intended to work as an RN around other ventures. Actually, I did, got a master's in International Public Health, joined the Peace Corps, didn't make the 2-year commitment (See Under: Haiti right after Duvalier left), went to tech writing school, worked as a tech writer, hated it, worked at an AIDS hospice, joined the Army Reserve Medical, kept bouncing back to the psych hospital.
Oh,and before my RN at 28, I was in the carpenter's union as an apprentice (they had to take women or lose federal contracts), worked on non-union jobs, did PR for a housebuilding school,and before that, worked in public television as a news editor for 4 years. Oh, and worked from home for seven years, recently ended, as a copyeditor for "Frontline", for their website interviews.
Moved to Boston, New Mexico and Maine in search of the above.
I have found the most satisfaction in having my little dream house in the woods and adopting old homeless mutts- currently have five. I am also working to afford an annual horseback trip in the back lands of Utah and Colorado.
I have certainly tried!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 AM

brightdoglover.........
Certainly sounds like a SUCCESS STORY to me!!! You've done lots more than I have!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 AM

Wow! I am in awe of the effort you made to find your dream! Compare what you did and tried to someone playing it safe and working at the same job that they hate for twenty years just for a check. You still got a check but you also got huge life experiences that money cannot buy and made you a whole person with so much to look back on and I have no doubt, much to look forward to!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:13 PM

67 posts, read 135,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Thank you rdlr for proving the naysayers wrong. Dream jobs do exist....you just have to stop being negative and dream I am so happy you wrote your post and hopefully can inspire others to try and live their dream and if you have gotten lost along the way, try and learn something from the people that have posted here about their dream life and job. That was the purpose of my starting this thread.
It's nice to dream, but dreams don't pay the bills, do they? I think the reality is, and all I was trying to say was, if you are struggling for cash, then you need to go and and get a job to pay the bills. I know people who talk about their dreams jobs as a way to put off getting a real job and taking real responsibility for their lives.

Real "dream jobs" can be a lot of work. You may have to work for years and years before you get to a level of where your work feels rewarding.

I hope you are not letting dreams get in your way.

Best,

lettuce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment