U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,409,407 times
Default Electrician or plumber

If you had a choice would you rather be an electrician or a plumber and which one usually pays more?

I know in some towns there are companys that will hire you on and train you,In my city now I cant seem to find anything like this, it is the same way with dental assistants,everything here you have to go to school for.Do you know of anywhere like this or why its like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:55 AM

2,651 posts, read 7,103,456 times
Personally I would go for the electrician. Pays better and you're not dealing with anybody's stopped up toilet.

Electical work is a little more dangerous though.

Weirdly, if you want to write your own ticket and work internationally you know what's in huge demand? Generator techs. Private industry and the US government can't get enough generator technicians.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 AM

439 posts, read 838,240 times
I have a family member who is in the 3rd year of plumbers apprenticeship and he makes a pretty good buck, however he is out in all types of weather.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 AM

21,198 posts, read 16,456,661 times
If you are young and not afraid of hard work, check into well drilling. There is good money, the US will be drilling more for oil. Also, check with water well drillers. All of our trade journals are full of "help wanted" ads. These jobs are apprentice type licensing.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM

781 posts, read 2,556,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If you had a choice would you rather be an electrician or a plumber and which one usually pays more?

I know in some towns there are companys that will hire you on and train you,In my city now I cant seem to find anything like this, it is the same way with dental assistants,everything here you have to go to school for.Do you know of anywhere like this or why its like this?
I know a couple of guys in the plumbers union here in chicagoland.It pays $35 I think.They went to the plumbers union and took a test.One got help from the inside.It's a process for sure.They choose so many a year out of hundreds.The electrician is the same process,but pays a few dollars more.One guy I know says he make $40 a hour in the concrete union.Illinois pays good wages for skilled trades.A ready mix concrete driver make $29.50 a hour.Have you ever seen what they do? Talk about gravy train.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 AM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Personally if I had to chose: i would much rather be a electrician.Guys I know work for big industry and stil make 20-30 thousand a year extra on the side. I know one that does the wiring for several air conditioning comapnies on the side and say its quick and easy money.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,565,097 times
At least when my husband was in (non-union) training, he had to find the job first as an electrician helper, then, after he worked for a set time for them to decide he was worth it, they would sponsor him for the apprenticeship program. He was making $40 after 3 years of apprenticeship and before he was even licensed. But that was in the Washington, DC area. He is licensed now, but we move and he isn't making quite as much. He also switched from residential to construction b/c he didn't like dealing with customers.

FWIW, he went with electrician b/c you don't have to deal with toilets and you don't have 2am electrical emergencies.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 17,649 times
Default Curious about trades

I had been looking into a JATC electrician apprenticeship, but generator tech seems interesting. Any other ideas on best trades to enter for the travel-thirsty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Personally I would go for the electrician. Pays better and you're not dealing with anybody's stopped up toilet.

Electical work is a little more dangerous though.

Weirdly, if you want to write your own ticket and work internationally you know what's in huge demand? Generator techs. Private industry and the US government can't get enough generator technicians.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM

594 posts, read 732,574 times
Here in NYC, electricians are overcrowded. The union electricians have mandatory furlough, so they don't even get to work 52 weeks out of the year. And if you get laid off, you'll be on the bottom of the list for 40 weeks minimum. But that's just NYC, not sure about other places.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM

259 posts, read 202,687 times
Quote:
In my first 2 years of college, I was a maintenance person for an apartment complex. I installed light switches, plugs, light fixtures, rangehoods, ect, which obviously isn't the skills of a REAL electrician. However, I also have plunged toilets, worked on piping under sinks, sink clogs, whatever. It's messy, uncomfortable, and it sucks. Obviously, I wasn't a full skilled plumber either.

Point being, I would take the electrician job without looking back. No question at all. Well, actually I'd take being a CPA , but I will forever have respect for the blue collar workers~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment