Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I posted this before, and I am going to post this again...because I made the mistake and you can learn from mine.

If you interview and go home, and they call you up and make you an offer...and you accept the job...Go online and find the nearest extended stay motel or hotel. Call and ask them to make a deal with you. Say "I am going to be staying there for about 2 months, can you give me something off the price?" Buy one way airline tickets, pack 2 suitcases. Have someone keep an eye on your home. Bring just what you need, you can buy things when you get there. Bring your checkbook and all...you can pay your rent or mortgage from your motel room. When Human Resources asks what your address is, say you are renting a room until you buy a home and you are picky.

Go there...try THEM out...because they are trying YOU out, and they will think nothing of having you move across the country, whether you or they pay for it, and letting you go if they decide they don't like you.

So go and try them out and you will get a good feel, but don't jump to conclusions the first 2 weeks when everyone is nice to you.

If you decide you like the job, you can fly back and arrange to move. If you don't, you can get airline tickets and tell them they aren't a good fit for you. Maybe you've spent a lot of money to find out, but you find out, and you're not stuck and trapped like I am.

Believe me, I wish I had done this.

Good advice! what if you don't like the place and the person had done what you suggested and "tried" them out BUT they don't have a job to go back to? Would they be stuck? You said you wish you had just tried them out so you would not have been stuck. So, are you suggesting take a temporary leave of absense from your current job and try out the new one? Need some clarification please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I don't think this whole doing the extended stay to see if the job works out philosophy is good. In theory it sounds fine, but as you point out, if the job doesn't work out and you return to your former state, you're still unemployed. Then what? Go back to your state unemployed or continue in your new state employed while looking for a better fit? And if you do take a leave of absense from your current job and then do like your new job, how do you give a reasonable notice and not tip off your new job? I mean, a bridge is a bridge and you don't want to burn either. Just doesn't seem logical to me. It's fence-sitting, straddling two states at once. Life is full of risks and you have to take them. Just MHO

Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
Good advice! what if you don't like the place and the person had done what you suggested and "tried" them out BUT they don't have a job to go back to? Would they be stuck? You said you wish you had just tried them out so you would not have been stuck. So, are you suggesting take a temporary leave of absense from your current job and try out the new one? Need some clarification please

I had lost my previous job so I had no job to go to...but it would have been far easier to not have had to move my son from his school and moved everything we had for this.

If you do have a job, I guess you'd have to do that leave of absence or if you have any vacation time coming, use it. But I really think it takes a good month or two to really know what a place is like. I don't think a week or two will really give a good read.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I don't think this whole doing the extended stay to see if the job works out philosophy is good. In theory it sounds fine, but as you point out, if the job doesn't work out and you return to your former state, you're still unemployed. Then what? Go back to your state unemployed or continue in your new state employed while looking for a better fit? And if you do take a leave of absense from your current job and then do like your new job, how do you give a reasonable notice and not tip off your new job? I mean, a bridge is a bridge and you don't want to burn either. Just doesn't seem logical to me. It's fence-sitting, straddling two states at once. Life is full of risks and you have to take them. Just MHO

Yes, life is full of risks, but it seems more prudent to try to minimize the risks and the stresses on one's children.

If you did take a leave of absence and accepted another job, you will have to give a notice, but remember, most employers give you NO notice and fire you and shove you out the door in the same sentence. I guess all of this would have to work if you had some vacation time coming, etc. I was working from a position of being unemployed.

I can't go back to my previous state to live without a job lined up.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
Quote:
I had lost my previous job so I had no job to go to...but it would have been far easier to not have had to move my son from his school and moved everything we had for this.

If you do have a job, I guess you'd have to do that leave of absence or if you have any vacation time coming, use it. But I really think it takes a good month or two to really know what a place is like. I don't think a week or two will really give a good read.
Gotcha!! I agree it is best to get a feel for the place but sometimes it just don't works out that way. Better keep looking for the next opportunity

Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM

There aren't opportunities...that's why I took this bottom of the barrel, carp bottom dredging job.
You can't get a feel for a place, not when they don't want you to have one. That's why no one wanted this job.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Yes, life is full of risks, but it seems more prudent to try to minimize the risks and the stresses on one's children.

If you did take a leave of absence and accepted another job, you will have to give a notice, but remember, most employers give you NO notice and fire you and shove you out the door in the same sentence. I guess all of this would have to work if you had some vacation time coming, etc. I was working from a position of being unemployed.

I can't go back to my previous state to live without a job lined up.
I hear ya. The logistics aren't always clean.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,407 times
Great advice everyone.

We plan on renting when we get there so we won't be jumping into the housing market right away and we are moving to be closer to family so this will probably be a permenant move regardless.

And I had the same feeling about putting a local address on my resume: one, it would be a lie, and two - what if they called and said - "Hey, come on down tomorrow afternoon for an interview...". What would their repsonse be when I said, "Uh, I'm in Seattle."?

Our 'pie in the sky' plan is to move there and then find a job... risky to be sure but we can't move unless our house sells here, and we can't very well find jobs then tell the employer, "Hey, soon as the market picks up & the house sells, we're there".

Also, there are several websites (www.vault.com and www.glassdoor.com are just two) that that rate companies and/or allow employees to rate the company on several facotrs - work environment, salary, overall company strength, etc. While no one will be able to say if they like a job/company or not until they are actually performing the work, I think it is alway prudent to do a little research prior to accepting an offer and a whole lot of research before moving. And nothing is permenant, right? Get out and find another job if the one you have is so terrible. Life is what you make it, and its certainly too short to live it in a state of misery.

Sorry, Nebulous1, that life has thrown you such a curve ball. I hope you can find your way out and to a happier place soon. Good luck in the search.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
Great advice everyone.

We plan on renting when we get there so we won't be jumping into the housing market right away and we are moving to be closer to family so this will probably be a permenant move regardless.

And I had the same feeling about putting a local address on my resume: one, it would be a lie, and two - what if they called and said - "Hey, come on down tomorrow afternoon for an interview...". What would their repsonse be when I said, "Uh, I'm in Seattle."?

Our 'pie in the sky' plan is to move there and then find a job... risky to be sure but we can't move unless our house sells here, and we can't very well find jobs then tell the employer, "Hey, soon as the market picks up & the house sells, we're there".

Also, there are several websites (www.vault.com and www.glassdoor.com are just two) that that rate companies and/or allow employees to rate the company on several facotrs - work environment, salary, overall company strength, etc. While no one will be able to say if they like a job/company or not until they are actually performing the work, I think it is alway prudent to do a little research prior to accepting an offer and a whole lot of research before moving. And nothing is permenant, right? Get out and find another job if the one you have is so terrible. Life is what you make it, and its certainly too short to live it in a state of misery.

Sorry, Nebulous1, that life has thrown you such a curve ball. I hope you can find your way out and to a happier place soon. Good luck in the search.

Thanks...and I wish you and yours good luck too. I still say try them out...we try on a pair of shoes...and they try us out.
Right now, the job market sucks, but still a big move is a big move.
Take care!!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,407 times
Yep, it is... a bit worried about all that but gotta take some risks... right??? <scared face here>

I know what you mean though about employers not really caring if they get rid of you as soon as they hire you - I was brought on with much fanfare to this current job, in Feb. Laid off two months later... (our contract was not renewed) and I LOVED it (the job, not the lay off)! But this is giving me the opp to move so... I'm trying to be positive about it. And lucky enough, I was picked up by the company that DID get the contract so I'm OK... for now.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search