Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM

55 posts, read 202,677 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice or similiar circumstances to this:

I went out on a job interview several states away, and it went well and they offered me a position. The owner picked me up from the airport, showed me around downtown, the office, lunch, and they offered me the position before dropping me back off at the airport.

I accepted the position, after making a few changes to the offer contract about a week later. During this week I had some issues with escaping a rent issue, and I attempted to contact them to let them know and work a flexible start date into the contract. All my calls went straight to voice mail, no rings. I took this as them on vacation, and wrote it off.

Another week or two has passed and we solved the rent issue. I emailed yesterday morning letting him know I'll be there, and no response. I tried calling his cell today, straight to voice mail. Called the office, no one there.

Would you, as a new hire, feel confident moving your family accross the country to a place where there seems to be no employees? I once reached the part-time receptionist, but she just told me to leave a message for him. When I interviewed, I was told the general manager was away in Europe on vacation.

They did have all the programs for my job, an open office with computer/table/etc. The two I interviewed with were both very kind, I really thought the position was too good to be true to be honest. It's a small company, so I understand not having people in the office. It's hard, on the other hand, to believe that an owner of a company would not answer calls for a week.

We have to move in two weeks, with no place to live lined up and this unsureness looming in the air. Scary stuff for the kind of people who like everything planned and organized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
two words: Red flags!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Wow! I would leave 1 more VM and send 1 more e-mail indicating that the lack of communication on the part of the employer was causing me doubt my relocation plans. Unless I heard from someone PDQ I would not move unless I was wanting to relocate to that area for reasons other than this particular job.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
that is one hell of a scam. i dont wanna scare you but... maybe those free luch and free airfare is their payment for your identity. maybe they just need your information. you did put your SSN in the application right? coz you have to. that's why actually i have doubts on writing my SSN in job applications they really should not ask for it UNLESS they really are gonna hire you. so right now im also looking for job but what im gonna put now is "to be given once hired"

Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
That's spooky...did you try calling the BBB in that city for any info on them??

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 AM

55 posts, read 202,677 times
Still no word a day later. In response to above:

They don't have my SS#

And I don't know what the BBB means.

I'm planning on trying to stay patient until Monday. If no word by then, I'm going to say forget it.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsafloater View Post

They don't have my SS#

I'm planning on trying to stay patient until Monday. If no word by then, I'm going to say forget it.

Better Business Bureau

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Default tried these?

Can you put the word out on here and maybe on craigslist for that city, aand maybe some good samaritan can go to thelocation and see of they are indeed still there? (If you were coming to Wichita, I'd be glad to go check it out for you )

Hvae you tried to contact any of these people at home?? You would be surprised at what info you can find about someone with just a name and a city.

Obvioulsy you have an address for the business, can you call the power company and ask if the still have power?

Call the police department and ask for a welfare check...hey maybe they are tied up by robbers and stuck ina closet LOL
Or maybe try to get in touch with neighboring businesses and see if they can determine the other business is still there??
Call the post office and see if their mail is being forwarded?

Surely there is some way to verify before going there~

Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsafloater View Post

They don't have my SS#

CrazyMa's suggestion about having somebody check on the place is good, but you might also consider going out there by yourself and see what's going on.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
The Better Business Bureau is an organization the company JOINS but it mandates NOTHING.

If I were you, I would call the State Corporation Commission, look up the president of the company's name on the states courts website and see if you can find anything. Veromi.net has a corporation background check available, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment