U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
148 posts, read 421,839 times
Reputation: 115
Default Do you have much trouble with "Critics" and "Office Politics" at work?

Some of my friends who work as senior level managers in corporate America are just sick and tired of the SUBJECTIVE harsh criticism that they get almost every day. They tell me that corporate America is getting meaner and more political every day.

Now that the economy is in really bad shape the amount of nit picking, office politics and critical coworkers has gone up because everyone is scared to death they are going to be fired. So they try to make their coworkers look bad so they can look better.

Is this a serious problem where you work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
 
359 posts, read 726,646 times
Reputation: 157
Yes, but I don't let that get to me. I just put on my headphones, and listen to the internet radio to steer myself away from that non-sense talk. I don't really care about what would happen to me and my career since I still live with my parents. If anybody came at me about political non-sense, I just RUN, RUN FAR AWAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
 
40,871 posts, read 42,078,943 times
Reputation: 12248
The times bring on competition more than ever and the stress shows in many peole who don't feel secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,696 posts, read 3,948,868 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Yes, but I don't let that get to me. I just put on my headphones, and listen to the internet radio to steer myself away from that non-sense talk. I don't really care about what would happen to me and my career since I still live with my parents. If anybody came at me about political non-sense, I just RUN, RUN FAR AWAY.
You sound like a real role-model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,536,954 times
Reputation: 1075
We don't have it at all. If we do, then I'm blissfully unaware of it. I'm too busy to pay attention to such junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
1,368 posts, read 4,275,583 times
Reputation: 497
I work for a small company, and we have some small office politics... but, small office politics means politics from me, the lowest tech... to the CEO.

I do know who some people like and dislike, but there's no job scare worry. I'm probably the only person who is easily fired, firing anyone else would bring the company to its knees. And firing me would have severe negative consequences as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
 
130 posts, read 284,760 times
Reputation: 73
It used to be a serious problem. A new Division President with vision got rid of all ot the rubbish causing the problems.
It's a lot easier to get things done and we do it without having replaced the fired people.
Things work out every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 02:30 PM
 
984 posts, read 764,895 times
Reputation: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Some of my friends who work as senior level managers in corporate America are just sick and tired of the SUBJECTIVE harsh criticism that they get almost every day. They tell me that corporate America is getting meaner and more political every day.

Now that the economy is in really bad shape the amount of nit picking, office politics and critical coworkers has gone up because everyone is scared to death they are going to be fired. So they try to make their coworkers look bad so they can look better.

Is this a serious problem where you work?
Yep endless nitpicking, criticism, just do your job with no mistakes and your not being proactive enough, start being proactive and your stepping on other people toes, say boo the wrong person and your out of job, colleagues always looking to determine your weakness or the area your not knowledgeable, outwardly presenting a friendly face but always looking to nail you.

Yep its just competition like running a Business, view your coworkers as competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 AM
 
1,403 posts, read 658,465 times
Reputation: 1532
YES!

The trouble was most of my critics were unknown and went around the office saying how terrible I was but never had the courage to go to me directly with their concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
 
789 posts, read 570,921 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
We don't have it at all. If we do, then I'm blissfully unaware of it. I'm too busy to pay attention to such junk.

I was, too. Got fired last week and friends who still work for the company say I should have known and anticipated it because the was a group who wanted a friend of theirs in my position and had been working against me for a while. I knew I dealt with some difficult co-workers and just kept trying to make projects we had to work on together easier on them.

I totally missed what was happening by working hard and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top