Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am honestly starting to question whether the big 3 will be around in 10 years. The bankruptcy of such an icon like Ford or GM would have been unthinkable at one time but it is becoming more thinkable everyday as I look at their business models. First of all they are hobbled by huge pension and healthcare cost for hundreds of thousands of retirees. Honda, Nissan, Kia and Toyota do not have that huge massive expense nor will they make such promises to employees. Also the big 3 staked their whole product line on gas drinking trucks and SUVs that they are now having to virtually give away to get rid of their inventory. And the average auto worker at GM and Ford probably makes $10 or more an hour over what a worker at Honda or Toyota makes. There is no way such a business model can survive forever. I did not think it would last as long as it has.
Even if they went bankrupt in 5yrs, there are still the existing equipment that will need occational repair and will be around at least another 20-30yrs. Even if Hybrids became manditory (which would never happen) Mechanics are already trained for Hybrids.
I should know, that's my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM

51 posts, read 241,444 times
Well, I am a speech language pathologist, no problem finding work. Straight out of grad school (required) very difficult to get into and to get through you can easily earn 50,000 a year. Problem is, after 10 years you most likely will not be making much more than that maybe 60,000, and if you go to change jobs, there are many but good luck making much more than you are already earning. I have a brother in the oil industry, less education by far than what I had to pay for (especially today) and he earns about 40 percent more than I do and to boot only works 2 weeks a month. So, I do not know, nursing, my sister is in, same situation as me, yes you always have a job but good luck with cost of living raises. For me, I just have to adjust by working many more part time jobs to keep up with increase in gas prices, heating costs, healthcare costs. That I think will be the key how many jobs can you work to keep up with inflation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment