U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 97,783 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have a question that I'm really stressing about.

Today I went for a second interview at travel agency. I've already successfully completed 2 of the 4 "steps" of the hiring process - interview with the recruiting manager, completed a personality assessment online and after that the recruiting manager called me back to schedule an interview (the third part) with the hiring manager at the branch where there is an opening.

That interview, like I said, was today. I really think it went really well. The manager went over the training, what they do on a day-to-day basis, the store hours, etc. The only questions she really asked me that the recruiting manager didn't ask was more about my internship at Disney World, why she should hire me, what I could do to market myself and the company, and if I have flexible work hours.

The manager wrapped up with telling me that the next step is the background check to make sure that I'm not a criminal or anything of the sort - which I'm not! The manager said that either she or the recruiting manager would call me on Monday and that the background check company calls me to conduct the interview.

So, my question is - do I have a really good shot at getting this job? If a company goes ahead and does a background check, that costs money, so if they are spending money for my background check that means they are seriously interested and I should be getting the job?

I'm a nervous wreck right now and I hope Monday comes soon! This is my dream job. I'm a huge travel fan and already plan vacations on my own. I've stressed that I would love the opportunity to work for the company and that it's practically my "dream job."

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,143,965 times
Hopefully, it's a good sign. Not to be a Debbie-downer but my husband has twice now taken expensive, third-party generated personality tests, "passed" (which means he went on to the next interview step) and still did not get the offer. He's in a different situation; we suspect it's age/experience and the fact that these companies found someone 15 or so years younger willing to work for $20K less. But the personality tests are very expensive to administer and you'd think a company would only be giving them out to a very few select group of people. Up until recently, the ONLY times he'd ever been asked to take these tests, he did get the offer.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM

630 posts, read 1,490,685 times
Splashy - Everything sounds very positive, and just like everyone else we want to know now. The interesting portion of this, at least to me, is that they call you to conduct a background via a phone conversation. I have had many backgrounds done and I've never had one done on the phone. It's always done through documentation and you sign it agreeing that the information is true and correct. To have basic backgrounds done is cheap, everyone does them. So as long as you have nothing negative, and don't hide anything I would say that things are very positive. Just put this out of your mind, I know how difficult that is, and enjoy the holiday weekend. Before you know it Monday will be here.

Good Luck to you !!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM

19 posts, read 97,783 times
Quick update - 3 hours after I left the location, the recruiting manager just called the set up my background check interview. It's this Tuesday anytime between 10 AM and 1 PM. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's a pretty good sign that they called not the 4 days but 3 hours later!

Findingme --- Thank you so much for your response. Also, I am so sorry that happened to your husband not once but twice! I've been on interviews where I didn't get a position because someone was older and more qualified than I am. Sometimes I just don't understand what companies do. I wish your husband the best of luck and finding a wonderful new career opportunity!

Magic --- Thank you!! During the interview today the manager had said since they have branches in New York City, Chicago, Jacksonville and Orlando they do extensive "in-depth" background checks. I know I have a clean record so I'm not really worried about Tuesday. I am totally going to put everything out of my mind right now and go read a book or magazine.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,490,685 times
Splashy - Congrats!!!

I know that call relieved a lot of stress for you. "In-Depth" has so many meanings, I have that plus (work with gov't). All sounds sooooo positive!!!! Now like you said relax and enjoy!!! I know you deserve it after being so stressed about it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment