U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM

148 posts, read 421,560 times
Default Applicants calling employer and asking why they were not hired ("WHAT DID I DO WRONG"- MR EMPLOYER?)

When I worked in Human Resources years ago, I very polite and use to send a rejection letter to all applicants who interviewed but were not hired. Because my name was on the letter many people would call me and beg for advice and ask what they did wrong during the interview so they were not hired. Of course I could not tell them officially. Every once in a while I would tell them if they really did something wrong but it would usually get me in trouble when they would call up my boss and say I said mean things to them or were discriminating against them.

In most cases they did not do anything wrong and they interviewed just fine. But they were the wrong age, color, personality, sex, race, to tall, to short, to fat, to perky, to quiet, to aggressive or to passive. Most of the hiring decision were totally subjective because the majority of the people who were brought in for interviews had similar on paper skills and education.

NO, YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG IN YOUR LAST INTERVIEW. Other than being your self!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM

663 posts, read 1,407,267 times
yikes. this is a tad alarming.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 AM

146 posts, read 711,879 times
I read somewhere that most jobs were filled because the hiring person "liked" you rather than your actual skills. Now I believe it.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM

10,496 posts, read 14,344,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
When I worked in Human Resources years ago, I very polite and use to send a rejection letter to all applicants who interviewed but were not hired. Because my name was on the letter many people would call me and beg for advice and ask what they did wrong during the interview so they were not hired. Of course I could not tell them officially. Every once in a while I would tell them if they really did something wrong but it would usually get me in trouble when they would call up my boss and say I said mean things to them or were discriminating against them.

In most cases they did not do anything wrong and they interviewed just fine. But they were the wrong age, color, personality, sex, race, to tall, to short, to fat, to perky, to quiet, to aggressive or to passive. Most of the hiring decision were totally subjective because the majority of the people who were brought in for interviews had similar on paper skills and education.

NO, YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG IN YOUR LAST INTERVIEW. Other than being your self!

Hmmmm aren't there federal laws against this??? if you rejected anyone for the above reasons you were indeed discriminating against them....Heavy fines and potential for law suits

Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
Geeweez, people... one would think you just crawled from under a rock today...

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM

6,246 posts, read 7,376,835 times
Yeah, I agree that being the wrong sex, race, age, or color would not be a reason that would fly with me. I'm guessing you just typed that part without thinking?

But I totally agree about people calling and asking why they weren't hired. Like I said in another thread, it's just as creepy and annoying as when a weird guy in a nightclub asks you to dance, and you say "no thanks" and he then says "but WHY NOT?"

Just take No for an answer. No means no. No amount of hounding and begging is going to get you hired, or get you a better answer to your question. And aside from not having the correct qualifications, or we found someone more experienced, the real reasons you weren't hired are probably things you don't want to hear.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,017,499 times
When I use to interview on a board it most time was a matter of experinece and what we were loking for ahead of time. We always has a matrix for what we were looking for. With this matrix filled out after the interview we often were surpised at the outcome but this made a difference rather than one personal judgement.Of course we also had a test to try to make sure the person was not lying on his knowledge of the job requirements. I thnik that youy will find that often we were looking to add to our moneoity positons and this was a facotr sometimes and not illeagl at all.But it wasn't the deciding factor just one of many and often experience came out on top.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,556,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmmmm aren't there federal laws against this??? if you rejected anyone for the above reasons you were indeed discriminating against them....Heavy fines and potential for law suits

Ever heard of Equal Opportunity and "Diversity"? I know (in government jobs at least) that a black man or woman will almost always get the job over the white/hispanic guy even if the white/hispance guy has more experience. I watched it happen again and again at my old job.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM

10,496 posts, read 14,344,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Ever heard of Equal Opportunity and "Diversity"? I know (in government jobs at least) that a black man or woman will almost always get the job over the white/hispanic guy even if the white/hispance guy has more experience. I watched it happen again and again at my old job.

Equal opportunity?? I think maybe you mean affirmative action?? What a croc that is..and yes it amounts to reverse discrimination, some thing the politically correct crowd won't own up to

Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,556,279 times
Yes.. Affirmative Action...my bad. They both go hand in hand though. It is really sad that there is such as thing as "Office of Diversity." Is that just a government employer phenomenon?

I have overheard those people speak about their numbers "We are x% more diverse than last year, and if we hire Dr. Blargharh and Mrs. Soandso we'll look even better on paper!" They are about on par with the Veeps and directors that can only think of student enrollment == more money to fight for to get put into my budget so I can burn it on me/us and not students.

My experience is with colleges obviously who are probably more vulnerable to this than most businesses since they are all grasping for state funding and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.