Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 180,916 times

Advertisements

How many of you can't walk in to a department store without being asked to open a charge card? ( store credit card). I work at Macy's. One HUGE thing for Macy's is to open up store credit cards for people. Where I work we have to open at least 8 a month or we will be written up and after so long there will be disciplinary actions. We are told by Macy's, to ask the same customer 3 times if they want to apply for a card, before giving it up. Stores like Macy's have incentive's for associates when they open up a card for a customer . Between 1-5 dollar per activated card in cash or store coupons. Sounds great but to me it is not worth it. I know first hand what those revolving department store credit card do to your fico-score so why would I try to convince others it such a great deal. We have to say something like this.....
"mam, you can save 15 % today if you open a Macy's card, it will only take a couple of minutes"
We want to say this..
"mam, would you like to open a 23% interest credit card so you can save $10. on this purchase and a lifetime of debt.."

I am working hard on leaving Macy's for many reasons. If you work at Macy's you don't get sick leave. You can have a sick child or be sick yourself but the company couldn't care less. It is what they call an unexcused absent and after so many, maybe 5-10 days in a year you will be fired.

I am very tired of being treated like I am worth nothing at my job. If you are not happy at work how can you treat your customer with Macy's "outstanding service" attitude. At Macy's we have to ask our customer if they received outstanding service after every transaction. We have to ask them to go on our website and leave a comment about the outstanding service they received that day.
I can't do it anymore. I use to love what I do but not anymore.
I will find another job and never shop Macy's again.

Last edited by Bo; 03-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 AM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Check out Nordstrom's. A better reputation.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
I "have" to ask stupid questions to customers at my retail job. That's just the name of the game, I guess.

And the credit card, I have one from Macy's, but it actually has a -$1 balance because I paid it off as soon as I could.

Good luck, though. It's terrible to work for a "huge corporation" but receive very little perks or appreciation.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 AM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Corporate America has become very heavy handed in some of its customer relations tactics in recent years. They do more harm than good when they have their employees attempt to browbeat their customers into submission. I now try to support more Mom and Pop businesses these days and shop via the internet. That is the best way to avoid the heavy handed behavior of corporate America.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 PM

37 posts, read 180,916 times
I wonder what would happen if everybody just stooped open store credit cards. Would the department stores go under?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Corporate America has become very heavy handed in some of its customer relations tactics in recent years. They do more harm than good when they have their employees attempt to browbeat their customers into submission. I now try to support more Mom and Pop businesses these days and shop via the internet. That is the best way to avoid the heavy handed behavior of corporate America.
you know, that's kind of why I stopped shopping at Penney's, because no matter how many times I said NO I DON'T WANT YOUR CARD, they would just continue to push. not cool.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:30 AM

84 posts, read 297,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
you know, that's kind of why I stopped shopping at Penney's, because no matter how many times I said NO I DON'T WANT YOUR CARD, they would just continue to push. not cool.

what I do is tell them I already have one but decided not to use it.
this works for alot of sales pitches:

Q: would you like to switch to our long distance carrier ______?
A: I'm already with ______.

Q: Do you want to subscribe to LA times?
A: I already am with LA times.

Q: Would you like to buy this voucher to donate to this charity that was made up so we can take your money?
A: I donated yesterday.

see... it works for me. maybe it'll work for you? I don't believe in lying but more importantly, I don't believe in making myself a martyr either. so not being a martyr trumps fibbing every once in awhile so that people don't hurt me and I don't hurt them. you should try it! hehe

Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,315 times
Plus, Macy's stole our local department stores. In Miami, they stole our Burdines to replace them with Macy's. Bring back Burdines!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Macy's took over Lazarus here.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I have never been treat badly at macy's here. I find the shopping experience better than many other stores. Retial sals is like many others; a tough business to be in unless you have a knack. I have seen sales persons that were very good at their job 'helping but not being really annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment