Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times

Advertisements

Oh, and if you are single, your options are lessened. Women with husbands supporting them can go to career gurus and spend 10 years figuring out what they want to do "for a living." Books, group therapy, you name it. All on the road to personal gratification because the BMW and the big house aren't enough.

Why don't they stay home and dust the woodwork (oh the maid does it) and let other people have jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
My sister is a Chemical Engineer by day... dog trainer by night. I'm guessing by your screen name that this might be something for you. She feels she has to amortize all of the time, effort, and money spent on becoming an engineer, but spending time with dogs is where her heart is.
My schooling was in Fashion design, but I found that I liked houses better than dresses, and I now have a small construction company.
Life is way too short to spend most of your waking hours doing something you hate. First figure out how you like to spend your time, then figure out how to get paid doing it.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:45 PM

277 posts, read 883,867 times
Arrow tyeebeacon, what decisions and understanding of yourself led you to such a fun/great job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeebeacon View Post
I am a speech language pathologist, it is fun every day is a challenge and often different. I can go anywhere (just about) and get a job. I have worked with infants, preschoolers, schoolage kids, adults. What I love about this profession is there are so many angles to solve problems with communication, I am always brainstorming, and creating ne things for my clients, music is often used with kids (really respond), art and writing. You are a coach, a teacher, a researcher. It is demanding but, always options available. It is rigorous though, you have to have some undergraduate specific classes and must be accepted into a very demanding graduate school. Check out ASHA. org for more information. Good luck in your search. Love being an SLP.

Thanks for sharing information about this field. Could you provide more information on the path that you led you to this great fitting career?

Many of us must learn what a career path should look like, so we don't get discouraged if we spend a year in a job that isn't for us. But we should also know what people like you did to find that great job. Did you take personality exams, informational interviews, develop your hobbies, network more???

lol, I am aware that people write books on how to find yourself career wise, but I have a hunch that you can summarize your experience into three paragraphs!

I can't wait to hear!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM

51 posts, read 241,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
Thanks for sharing information about this field. Could you provide more information on the path that you led you to this great fitting career?

Many of us must learn what a career path should look like, so we don't get discouraged if we spend a year in a job that isn't for us. But we should also know what people like you did to find that great job. Did you take personality exams, informational interviews, develop your hobbies, network more???

lol, I am aware that people write books on how to find yourself career wise, but I have a hunch that you can summarize your experience into three paragraphs!

I can't wait to hear!
I was in school to be a nurse. I worked at a nursing home with recreation. I always enjoyed working with people. One day one of the residents who always talked my ear off was unable to speak, she was attempting to but could not be understood. A very knowledgable Speech pathologist came in and gave an inservice on global, broca's aphasia and parts of the brains involved, I spoke with her afterwards and I was sold, I went home, called my university where I was scheduled to begin nursing courses the following semester, found out that I was on the right path with all of my science classes and a minor in language, this degree path although was a lot more work than nursing would have been I feel has been much more rewarding and has all the elements I love, I am involved with people, I am able to be creative, problem solve, and have so many different areas available to me. It seems you are always learning and researching too. I never really took any personality tests, etc. I think once I began taking my undergraduate classes related to language development and speech development and the anatomy classes, etc. I was always interested, intrigued and found all of the classes fascinating. I guess I just was lucky to find this career. I also had previously worked in retail, waitress, purchasing, and had always found them boring. Although I have to say it was a lot of work to get to the point I am at I feel it was worth it because the more I am employed and hear other horror stories I always know what I am doing and can always find new ways to solve problems for my clients. Glad to hear that you found this interesting. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Please help me figure out a new job/career path! I'm a woman in my early 30's who has hated every job I've ever held. Except for waitressing back in college--I loved that. I loved the fact that it wasn't a desk job, that how much you made was based on your own motivation, and that you were interacting with people constantly (and not sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day).

A bit of background: I have a BA in sociology, and a graduate degree. Graduated with honors from an Ivy League college. Got into a demanding graduate program. Since graduate school I have held six jobs, all in different fields, and all in fields different than my graduate degree. I have hated every one of them. The fields I've sampled included:

Paralegal: worked as a paralegal and despised everything about it. Hated sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day behind a computer, hated doing boring legal research, hated writing up memos all day long, and hated working with annoying lawyers who barked orders at me all day long.

Editor (two different positions): hated sitting at a desk behind a computer for 8 hours a day, found editing boring--too detail-oriented, and didn't like the extremely entry-level tasks I had to do (data-entry, etc.) I did enjoy the writing and interviewing part.

Clerk at retail store: I took this job while I was job-searching. Hated folding clothes and re-arranging them on the hangers, was bored all the time.

Current job: Non-profit researcher: I am bored out of my mind at my current job, I don't like the particular field this non-profit specializes in. I don't like doing detail-oriented tasks like data-base entry. I do enjoy interviewing people, which is a large part of the job, but don't find the subject matter I'm interviewing them about interesting in the least.

I have never found a job that uses my best skills: creativity, creative problem-solving, brainstorming, and design (not graphic design, but designing something like a program or curriculum). I have always been underemployed (probably because I am not working in the field of my graduate degree), and as a result I get stuck in these entry-level type jobs in which I am bored out of my mind.

The biggest problem with the jobs I've held is that I'm bored after a few days on the job. I have never had a job where I've been challenged. I have never had a job where I've been able to use my best skills (see above). I also have had a lot of desk jobs, and I hate desk jobs. It makes me restless and bored to sit behind a desk in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. Things I don't like doing on the job: writing reports, doing data entry, doing detail-oriented work, and working with data.

Things I enjoy doing on the job/would enjoy doing: brainstorming sessions, creative problem-solving, designing of programs or materials, writing, researching, interviewing, being out from behind a desk.

I have tried working with several career counselors and a life coach; no one could help me. I have read tons of career help books, find your passion books, and nothing has helped me figure out what to do. I am also willing to go back to school for another graduate degree. I have done professional-level volunteering (volunteering my skills with the intent of landing a job there once they get to know me and see what I can do), and am willing to do this again. I'm open to quitting my current job.

Can anyone think of a job/career that's a better fit for me?
Except for the degrees, it seems that we have a lot in common. Hopefully with our combined posts we may come up with a solution

Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 AM

421 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I do enjoy interviewing people, which is a large part of the job, but don't find the subject matter I'm interviewing them about interesting in the least.

I have never found a job that uses my best skills: creativity, creative problem-solving, brainstorming, and design (not graphic design, but designing something like a program or curriculum). I have always been underemployed (probably because I am not working in the field of my graduate degree), and as a result I get stuck in these entry-level type jobs in which I am bored out of my mind.

Things I enjoy doing on the job/would enjoy doing: brainstorming sessions, creative problem-solving, designing of programs or materials, writing, researching, interviewing, being out from behind a desk.

Can anyone think of a job/career that's a better fit for me?
Recruiting sounds perfect for you..or...Instructional Design is the practice of arranging media (communication technology) and content to help learners and teachers transfer knowledge most effectively. The process consists broadly of determining the current state of learner understanding, defining the end goal of instruction, and creating some media-based "intervention" to assist in the transition.

CSUN has a certificate program for it..good luck

Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
wow lots of job dissatisfaction. lots of boredom. lots of professionals that have already failed you. what would a lil froggy like me have to say to make a beautiful princess like you happy and satisfied. i fear that anything i would say or do has already been judged stupid and pointless and boring.
so i will croak quietly on my log. i am so grateful for my lil log, a few flies, a lil rain a few jobs and some money. (and a hobby or two) but what do i know i am only a frog.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-13-2008 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 12:33 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,893 times
make that...a few flies, a lil rain and maybe a joint or two??

Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
DL..I know you love dogs so what about something having to do with training,boarding,walking and housesitting or rescue?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
I have the exact same issue as you. My favorite job was waitressing as well, and I have similar career interest as you. Anyway I'm thinking of either venturing towards a public relations career, or Journalism(not print of course). I thought about nursing, but I know that at this point the field is probably very saturated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search