Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing people here in this city driving around with a portable dog washing trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree, and if you love animals why not.

The great thing about animals is they don't talk and don't type snotty comments on CD.

And plenty of interviewers might be impressed with someone who got laid off and created their own business doing something they enjoy.
Thanks for agreeing with me. Actually, that is how I started. I lost my job working with animals. I really wanted to continue working with them, so I started my own biz.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:26 PM

336 posts, read 411,559 times
The OP is of course probably long gone from this thread but for anyone reading who wants advice on starting a dog walking business, I have worked hard as a dog walker past 6 months, have learned tons through trial and error, and love it.

This is what you do.

1) Get a job for either a dog daycare or as a contractor for a dog walking company. Compare several first, ask lots of questions, only go with companies who feel very ethical and professiinal and good to you.

2) Work hard. Learn lots. Pay attention to if the cons outweigh the pros. See if you hate it or like it or love it. Try a different company if needed to see if that changes your opinion. Daycares require lots of cleaning and being around caged dogs indoors. Totally different from driving around picking up a group of dogs and exercising them an hour, often many off-leash. Two very different jobs but either way you're getting used to lots of variety of dogs and dog owners and learning tons about dog behavior and training. The best dog walking contractor job involves someone high-quality training you a lot, as short a commute as possible, and pay everyone else around pays (in Bay Area 60% is pretty average for contractor to earn per dog/sit/cat) or preferably higher plus nice benefits like bonuses, gas cost compensation, parking ticket compensation, etc. They should cover you with their insurance and their park permit.

3) After awhile (I'd say at least 4 months bare minimum, a year probably better) of working as a contractor, if you are truly loving it enough despite the driving, messes, dog fights, etc, etc...and can really see yourself thriving doing it many years...and you have the intelligence, focus, maturity, time management skills, communication skills, and heart to thrive at being self-employed (and or have a wonderful partner to be co-owner), then go for it!!!! Dream big cause you can make great money, have tons of quality time with dogs and nature (this job is ONLY for TRUE lovers of dogs and nature who also care about the pet owners), and get the wonderful, empowered feeling of being a business owner doing joyful, meaningful work and being seen as trustworthy of peoples' deeply loved "fur children" You must also have an extremely safe, well set-up, reliable vehicle and fantastic smartphone. There is tons of dog gear you will buy and rebuy; you will learn which gear works best. Talk to as many other walkers as you can. They will help you mostly. Help them too. There is no competition cause always enough dogs to go around. You can have an amazing quality of life. Or if you try it and don't thrive, don't worry...just go follow whatever most lights you up til you find what your personal dream career is. Work can be FUN not misery!!!

4) I cannot recommwnd the coaches at Dog*Tec enough. They help dog professionals succeed. I have never tried DogZanny but is probably also helpful. Good luck!!!

(Sorry if a bunch of typos...am typing this on my phone.)

Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 AM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
The OP is of course probably long gone from this thread but for anyone reading who wants advice on starting a dog walking business, I have worked hard as a dog walker past 6 months, have learned tons through trial and error, and love it.

This is what you do.

1) Get a job for either a dog daycare or as a contractor for a dog walking company. Compare several first, ask lots of questions, only go with companies who feel very ethical and professiinal and good to you.

2) Work hard. Learn lots. Pay attention to if the cons outweigh the pros. See if you hate it or like it or love it. Try a different company if needed to see if that changes your opinion. Daycares require lots of cleaning and being around caged dogs indoors. Totally different from driving around picking up a group of dogs and exercising them an hour, often many off-leash. Two very different jobs but either way you're getting used to lots of variety of dogs and dog owners and learning tons about dog behavior and training. The best dog walking contractor job involves someone high-quality training you a lot, as short a commute as possible, and pay everyone else around pays (in Bay Area 60% is pretty average for contractor to earn per dog/sit/cat) or preferably higher plus nice benefits like bonuses, gas cost compensation, parking ticket compensation, etc. They should cover you with their insurance and their park permit.

3) After awhile (I'd say at least 4 months bare minimum, a year probably better) of working as a contractor, if you are truly loving it enough despite the driving, messes, dog fights, etc, etc...and can really see yourself thriving doing it many years...and you have the intelligence, focus, maturity, time management skills, communication skills, and heart to thrive at being self-employed (and or have a wonderful partner to be co-owner), then go for it!!!! Dream big cause you can make great money, have tons of quality time with dogs and nature (this job is ONLY for TRUE lovers of dogs and nature who also care about the pet owners), and get the wonderful, empowered feeling of being a business owner doing joyful, meaningful work and being seen as trustworthy of peoples' deeply loved "fur children" You must also have an extremely safe, well set-up, reliable vehicle and fantastic smartphone. There is tons of dog gear you will buy and rebuy; you will learn which gear works best. Talk to as many other walkers as you can. They will help you mostly. Help them too. There is no competition cause always enough dogs to go around. You can have an amazing quality of life. Or if you try it and don't thrive, don't worry...just go follow whatever most lights you up til you find what your personal dream career is. Work can be FUN not misery!!!

4) I cannot recommwnd the coaches at Dog*Tec enough. They help dog professionals succeed. I have never tried DogZanny but is probably also helpful. Good luck!!!

(Sorry if a bunch of typos...am typing this on my phone.)

I would have suggested starting by walking your friend's dogs if you have any friends with dogs and then ask them to recommend you to anybody they might know with dogs. Your way is probably better though lol.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
How many 'doggy day care' & 'dog walking businesses' are needed?? It seems like this is the defacto business for people to start or go into??

Tell me, how will this go over when interviewing for a 'regular' corporate job??

So what have you been doing for the past two years??

Answer: Doggy day care or or walked dogs for a living...

Question (from hiring manager or recruiter): So you couldn't find real employment in your field??? I know X, Y & Z are hiring, have you inquired at those firms?? why haven't they hired you...
You assume that a corporate job is the end-all-be-all of something.

And the de-facto comment you made: how is this business any different from any other service-based business? A person does a job or performs a service, then gets payed for it.

Does it bother you that this service involves working with animals instead of people?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 29,018 times
try hosting pets on dogvacay.com. i've been a host for about 2 years now and it's great.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:31 AM

336 posts, read 411,559 times
Yes! Walking friend's dogs, hosting on petvacay and Rover.com (realizing they take some of your profit, but at least it's free marketing and insurance)...those are great ideas too. So is volunteering at a dog shelter. And owning or fostering your own dogs. Working at a vet office. Asking a good dog walker to join on a dog hike to observe. Anything to get you around as many dogs as possible to build experience, confidence and potential reviews and referrals. And to show you if you hate, like or love it.

Happy to answer any questions if helpful to anyone here or you can PM me. On month 11 now and learning more each month. Have met countless fellow walkers/sitters, most thriving at it. Range of quality and training theories and many choices involved which mean difference between low-stress and high-stress. Groups range from 1 to like 12 dogs at once! Some illegally, some legal.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
What about a magnetic sign on the side of your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment