U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM

328 posts, read 1,139,470 times

Advertisements

I know this might seem silly but my question is, What are some things to say to a potential employer when you are calling them to check on an application you mailed say 2-3 weeks ago?? I mean I think that is a good thing to do to make sure they received your application, right and see where things stand with it??

For instance, "Hi this is Bob Peters and I am calling to check on my application" .. I mean that just seems so cut and dry. Any other ideas or good things to say?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,544,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
I know this might seem silly but my question is, What are some things to say to a potential employer when you are calling them to check on an application you mailed say 2-3 weeks ago?? I mean I think that is a good thing to do to make sure they received your application, right and see where things stand with it??

For instance, "Hi this is Bob Peters and I am calling to check on my application" .. I mean that just seems so cut and dry. Any other ideas or good things to say?

Thanks
To be honest, if it is just an application and I did not hear anything back I would not even pursue it. Now, on the other hand, if I went to an interview and was told they would contact me by such and such a date, I would call just to express my continued interest and to also find out the status.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:26 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,711,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
To be honest, if it is just an application and I did not hear anything back I would not even pursue it. Now, on the other hand, if I went to an interview and was told they would contact me by such and such a date, I would call just to express my continued interest and to also find out the status.

Yup.

I was sending out about two resumes a week for a while. The place I heard back from was the first resume I sent out about two months earlier.
They are either swamped with resumes, incredibly slow to get around to hiring maybe due to budget restraints, or it got round filed.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Yup.

I was sending out about two resumes a week for a while. The place I heard back from was the first resume I sent out about two months earlier.
They are either swamped with resumes, incredibly slow to get around to hiring maybe due to budget restraints, or it got round filed.
They are swamped with resumes because I have had several of them tell me that. So many people are looking for jobs and it is an employer's market.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
They are swamped with resumes because I have had several of them tell me that. So many people are looking for jobs and it is an employer's market.
I think it took forever for me to get hired because they had to wait for the new fiscal year to roll around.

Yay government.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I think it took forever for me to get hired because they had to wait for the new fiscal year to roll around.

Yay government.
I hear ya. I applied for a job with the federal government in November of 1997 and did not start working until February 18, 1998.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. I applied for a job with the federal government in November of 1997 and did not start working until February 18, 1998.

Holy crap. Did you apply at FEMA or something?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Holy crap. Did you apply at FEMA or something?
No, not FEMA. It was the Justice Department.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:42 PM

328 posts, read 1,139,470 times
Hmmm. Yes, I am going for a GOVT. Job and also some assorted Private Companies. I have sent out many a resume and application but no response. Just thought it might be a good idea to take initiative and call the prospective employer to see what's up and say I am still interested in the position even though its been a few weeks since I sent my APP/Resume.. :/

Old 07-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Hmmm. Yes, I am going for a GOVT. Job and also some assorted Private Companies. I have sent out many a resume and application but no response. Just thought it might be a good idea to take initiative and call the prospective employer to see what's up and say I am still interested in the position even though its been a few weeks since I sent my APP/Resume.. :/

I would just occupy my time by finding more jobs to apply for and customizing your resume. I think the more you annoy them with phone calls the closer your resume gets to the trash bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment