U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM

89 posts, read 254,105 times
Question CDL-A Reinstating

Have a CDL class A with HazMat endorsement from another state. Drove OTR on it for years. Moved to Japan for six years and my license expired. Now I'm moving back to the states (Tucson) and need to get my license reinstated so I can get back to work.

I've been reading on the MVD site all about first time applicants, schooling, retesting for HazMat, updating your DOT physical every five years, and lots more, but there isn't anything I can find about getting my CDL reinstated after it has expired. Anyone know what I need to do to take care of this? I'll be landing in Tucson Monday, need to get this taken care of right away. Any assistance you may have to offer would mean the world to me.

Many thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,445,034 times
I had a cdl A for yrs., and due to health reasons unable to get D.O.T. physical to keep my cdl. I moved to KY from Indiana and currently just have a regular license but can get my cdl A back in 1 yr with d.o.t. with no test just the extra fee. If I want I can wait up to 5 yrs. but have to take the written tests also, plus extra fees, and d.o.t. After that I have to take whole test over including drivers road test. I don't know if it like this in every state but ask at license branch. Otherwise if skills are rusty rent a under 26,000 lb rental truck and practice and when ready most driver school training centers will let you take the driving skills test only to get your license back for a small fee. Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

19,439 posts, read 16,215,198 times
I still have mine, though have been in other lines of work for the past 8 years, and probably will have to go to the company training/school again if someday going back to doing long haul but I dont mind, it would be good to 'brush up' again. Keep in mind now though, that after 911, getting a Hazmat endorsement is expensive...they want to do a background and make you re-take the tests every time you renew. 95 bucks just for the background, and I dont remember how much they wanted for the testing but since Im not planning on hauling it anyway anytime soon (sarcasm here, lol) ...I simply dropped Hazmat, but still have tanker. If youve been off truck for over 3 years, they will require you to go again, unless you can drive for an independent owner and take it form there.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 12,874,710 times
Can't add much to the good advice above! What you may consider doing is calling a local community college or other non-profit truck driver training school. Explain your situation. My guess is they can run you through some kind of shorter "refresher" course. You'll have to check with the licensing folks in AZ for their requirements. While you're at it, consider calling a few trucking companies to see what their requirements are for someone with your background to come to work for them. They may want you to do a short training period with them since you've been out of the cab for awhile (I know; once a trucker, always a trucker. But they have their rules...)

Best of luck! Let us know how it went!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

Phew! Okay, so now I have an idea of what I might be in for. I sure do wish I could have had it renewed while living over here (Japan). That's one of the major drawbacks to being married to the military.

Again, thanks a lot; I'll be sure to let you know how it went. Who knows who might end up following in my footsteps.

Ready to get back on the road again~

Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 AM

Exclamation Making it work~

Okay, so here's the scoop:
For anyone posted overseas as active duty military or as a dependent of active duty military, you can get your expired CDL reinstated without penalty prior to your return stateside. You need to send a copy of your expired license, a copy of your military I.D., a copy of your orders (PCS orders), and an updated long form physical (military doc will do it for you), and send it all to the DMV (or MVD as the case may be) in the state that issued you your most previous driver's license. You must have both front and back copies of all documents (except the physical). Yup, it does seem like a lot, but hey, it's worth it if you should find yourself in my boat. After all, it is do-able.

In my case, I got a good point of contact at my previous license issuing office. I am working exclusively with this person, drawing attention to her on all correspondences so absolutely nothing goes haywire.

When filling out the forms, you will be asked for a physical address (use your overseas location for that), as well as a stateside mailing address (for me that was Tucson's Davis-Monthan). They will issue a temporary license (paper copy) within 48 hours and the regular (plastic card) within two weeks. Both go to the stateside address you provide.

Any endorsements you may have had on your license will be dropped, but you can add those back on once you can go to the DMV/MVD and retest. That's small beans compared to starting over from scratch with your entire CDL!

I sure do hope this information helps someone else down the road. It was not so easy to find out about.

See you on the road,
Sand Box Surfer (Just trying it on... still working on my new handle. )

Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 AM

Break One-Nine for that "Sand Box Surfer"! Many thanks for that update, CDL-A! I'll bet that others will find it useful as they return to the "Land of the Big BX" and want to resume trucking! Yes, just retesting for the endorsements is a lOT better than having to redo everything (Not sure I could get the hang of "tanker load locks"...)

"Sand Box Surfer"?... I like it! And haven't heard another one on the cee bee yet!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 07-13-2008 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 AM

51 posts, read 153,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I had a cdl A for yrs., and due to health reasons unable to get D.O.T. physical to keep my cdl. I moved to KY from Indiana and currently just have a regular license but can get my cdl A back in 1 yr with d.o.t. with no test just the extra fee. If I want I can wait up to 5 yrs. but have to take the written tests also, plus extra fees, and d.o.t. After that I have to take whole test over including drivers road test. I don't know if it like this in every state but ask at license branch. Otherwise if skills are rusty rent a under 26,000 lb rental truck and practice and when ready most driver school training centers will let you take the driving skills test only to get your license back for a small fee. Hope this helps.
I was wondering what kind of health problems would exempt you from CDL. Are back difficulties one of those? Just curious.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:08 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,042,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeebeacon View Post
I was wondering what kind of health problems would exempt you from CDL. Are back difficulties one of those? Just curious.
The main disease is diabetis accrding to what my uncle in law- a driver says. Once you contract diabetis, you on watch and when it advances to the stage where insulin is required, you are barred.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeebeacon View Post
Tyeebeacon, as long as you can pass a DOT physical, you're in. Many truckers have back problems (many related to the "load" carried up front...) But if you can safely drive with back problems and the pain is manageable, you should be OK. As KevK says, diabetes is a big issue. Waivers for insulin-dependent diabetes are rarely granted. Since many truckers are overweight, sleep apnea is also a big problem in the industry. The Feds are looking at mandatory requirements for drivers to be tested for sleep apnea. With proper diagnosis and treatment, that shouldn't be a bar to holding a CDL.. Tyeebeacon, the sedentary lifestyle of trucking surely contributes to many health issues...

BTW, I work with a driver who is missing his left leg! We have automatic transmissions and we never unload. He is just as good behind the wheel as the rest of us with both legs!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 07-14-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: "speling"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment