U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM

906 posts, read 2,614,435 times

Advertisements

I will have a four person panel interview next month. It has been a little while since I had one. We talk about interviews all the time here, but I think we are referring to individual interviews for the most part. Are there any subtle differences I should be aware of.

I know one obvious would be shake each interviewers hand.

Here is one question, During each question should you pick one person (maybe the person that asked the question?) and make eye contact with them or attempt to spread the eye contact around to each person on the panel?

Ironically I do panel interviews all the time (interviewer side), but me and the employees for company I work for don 't waste time with a lot of the BS interviewing techniques and we geniunely want the person that is best for the job. Anybody that can provide any tips, including the answer to that question would be of help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,549,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I will have a four person panel interview next month. It has been a little while since I had one. We talk about interviews all the time here, but I think we are referring to individual interviews for the most part. Are there any subtle differences I should be aware of.

Here is one question, During each question should you pick one person (maybe the person that asked the question?) and make eye contact with them or attempt to spread the eye contact around to each person on the panel?

Ironically I do panel interviews all the time (interviewer side), but me and the employees for company I work for don 't waste time with a lot of the BS interviewing techniques and we geniunely want the person that is best for the job. Anybody that can provide any tips, including the answer to that question would be of help.
I have been in interviews ranging from one to five people. I generally have eye contact with the person asking the question and then just briefly look around at the others in the room. I had a two person interview last week with one person asking their questions and then the second. I did basically the same. Not 100% sure if that is right, but that is what I do.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM

2,332 posts, read 3,298,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post

What I did was train my eyes on the person asking the question, then after giving my answer, spread the eye contact to the other panel members. (You are correct, PG77)

Also, little things such as maintaining and upright posture, answering in a clear, concise manner and not fidgeting.

At my last panel interview, I made sure to get each person's name and wrote each one a thank-you e mail. I also e-mailed the director of the agency thanking him for his kind consideration and time. I eventually landed the job.

I used to do endless research on interview "techniques" and while some were helpful, I learned that basic niceties, common courtesy, a professional appearance and self confidence will see one through. It's not a complicated process from my expereice.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM

157 posts, read 556,036 times
I am a Corporate Recruiter with a F500 organization, and I routinely conduct panel interviews. I also conduct an interview tips workshops at some of the top MBA schools in the nation (Fuqua, Tepper, Wharton). I would say absolutely have eye contact with each person in the room, not just the person who asks you the question. You want to engage everyone, and make everyone feel comfortable. The only way to do this is to have eye contact with each person. 5 seconds at a time (or so), you don't want to change people every 2 seconds. Or gauge your eye contact based on where it naturally makes sense to change, based on what your verbal response is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment