U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,167 times

Advertisements

I understand companies can verify salary details...how about the bonus figures?
Why do they ask Bonus figures (total comp) and how do they verify these figures? I don't think IRS shares any tax information

Thnx
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM

600 posts, read 904,238 times
I would not lie about my current salary. But then again - I'm an honest person in general, which was one of the main reasons my current employer hired me fresh out of college with no experience (she actually told me that!). So there is no way I'd lie about that. BUT my current employer pays my health insurance premiums (100 %) which adds about $ 3500 to my base salary. So I would include that. And I think I have the right to do so.

I'm moving from Atlanta to LA in a few weeks, and do hope for a much higher salary there (if I'm very very lucky ), but I think considering the difference in the cost of living between the two cities, the employers shouldn't be surprised.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM

247 posts, read 439,305 times
I have a question, what about the underemployed? Those of us that graduated college or grad school in this economy & took jobs that only required a high school diploma so we wouldn't be unemployed. Are we salary-screwed for life because we started at such a low number? I think that is ****ty. It says nothing about my value at all.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,112,403 times
Quote:
Why do they ask Bonus figures (total comp) and how do they verify these figures? I don't think IRS shares any tax information
No, the IRS does not share tax information about private citizens.

Employers ask for total compensation because not every employer has the same bonus plan.

In my industry, for example, most employers pay, in a good year a 5% annual bonus to regular employees. Higher for associates and partners. But there are a handful of employers in my industry that typically give out bonuses that are in the 15% range. Of course, the base salaries they pay are much smaller.

If an employer asked only for base salary and not bonuses, then they wouldn't have necessarily a good idea of how much you were expecting in an offer.

By the way: when you receive an offer, you should also ask what the average bonus was last year for persons in the position in question. As demonstrated above, the answer could vary widely. You don't want to presume you will be getting a higher bonus, and then get a nasty surprise at year's end!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM

2,785 posts, read 3,793,530 times
Don't tell them what you make. But don't lie either. You should know roughly how much you're worth and be able to put your own estimate out there. So, when they ask say, I'm looking for somewhere in the $60s based on my experience and my fit to your company. Or whatever your salary expectations are. The company you worked at before is irrelevant.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,174,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
they cant verify it, so tell them whatever you want!
Oh really?

At my current job, when they schedule new employees for the first day of work, they tell you to bring in your last paystub/pay statement from your old job.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM

1,970 posts, read 4,515,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh really?

At my current job, when they schedule new employees for the first day of work, they tell you to bring in your last paystub/pay statement from your old job.
Why would they want that information on the first day of work...AFTER you've apparently been hired?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,174,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Why would they want that information on the first day of work...AFTER you've apparently been hired?
They tell you before the first day of work what they want you to bring, so if you know you've lied, you had better fess up before that, shouldn't you? Therefore the offer is rescinded.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,167 times
After staying in a dilemma for a while I finally penned down true base and bonus number in the pre-employment form from my new to-be-employer and it proved such a right decision.
They verified the data minutely and I got a good offer! So (just from my experience) truth is aways better than any false info....

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM

536 posts, read 1,175,293 times
I have never had an employer verify my salary, or ask for a pay stub. But I imagine it could happen.

I would never tell a potential employer my current salary unless I was happy getting an offer 10% above that.

If they do check tell them you get bonuses on top of it. Of course, hopefully you get a bonus plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment