Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,231 times

Advertisements

Thanks, sunny AZ, you're a fountain of good ideas! You've pretty much made up for the others who haven't responded. I had actually contemplated the e-book and specialized gift basket ideas. If anything else occurs to you or comes to your attention, please post it. I truly am surprised that there aren't others expressing interest in this topic. I guess, with the economy as it is, folks just want to have a job and not have to create one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Yeah, I know the economy is bad. But some of these ideas have such a low start up cost.

I guess, from my point of view I am currently unemployed and no prospects in sight right now. So I'd rather be making even a modest amount than nothing at all!

What kind of ebook were you going to write?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:41 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,964 times
You could do very detailed relocation packets (not just stuff from the chamber but real honest info) many people do not have the time or skill to do the research themselves.

or a virtual assistant?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,517 times
I think the main reason why she isnt getting alot of ideas is because alot of the work at home opportunities are considered "MLM" I work for a company called AmeriplanUSA and we offer discounted health benefits to the underinsured or uninsured at a very low cost this is something everyone needs since 7 out of 10 Americans fit in these two catagories.If you want to visit my website at www.freedomathometeam.com/ckitzinger to see if it is something you might be interested.It works for me. Its an option. Heres the website that goes over the medical plans www.mybenefitsplus.com/ckitzinger so you can see the benefits in more detail. tks

Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
If someone were looking to make a not huge amount, say $2000-$2500 per month, would that not be possible with an innovative idea or a niche market and a well-placed, well-designed web-site?

In your experience, Sassberto, what would the obstacles be that would make that either difficult or impossible? Just hoping to learn a little bit more about what the practicalities of such a venture might be.
The main problem is competition. If you have a unique product or service to sell, that is one thing, but drop-shipping gift baskets or adsense plays are competing against a million sites out there. For every idea on Sunny AZ's list there is either already a dominant player or a major VC-funded upstart or a major internet property giving it away for free.

I've just seen so many people fail with these small web site ideas. There are guys out there running hundreds of these small sites and they have pretty much ruined the market. Not to mention that companies like Yahoo! that buy up or build these services and just offer them for free.

The key is your product. Before you worry about web sites, worry about product. If you have a unique product or service, you have a business, putting it online is just another way of selling it.

To answer the question: my favorite internet small businesses are not small business at all: they are venture-funded startups. LinkedIn or Facebook would probably be my favorites.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-22-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
A friend of mine recently had a very premature baby (fortunately he's doing okay now). I was playing around on the computer looking for ideas for a baby gift, and I found a website that sells clothing and supplies for premature babies, and it also had a prayer message board, where people posted stories of a preemie in their family, some including pictures, asking for prayers. Some posts were about preemies who died. But what was really moving was that there was this whole community supporting each other. Plus, the products were things I had never seen: teenie weenie little clothes to fit babies as small as one pound, with openings in them for heart monitor attachments, etc.
When I placed an order, I had some difficulty, so I had to call them on the phone. I learned that it was (I think) a mother and daughter who had started the business and were running it themselves.
It seemed like a small yet successful business, with seemingly a growing customer base.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM

You don't have to be the only one offering a product or service in order to make money. You just have to figure out a way to make the idea unique to separate you from the competition. (i.e. for the gift baskets - the large online gift basket sellers only have generic products. My suggestion was to specialize, such as designing a gift basket for teachers with school supplies, and things related to that. Something unique that the big dogs don't sell).

You just have to build up a client base. It doesn't happen overnight and it takes hard work, but it is possible.

Online businesses are a great way to go because the start up cost is low and you can work out of your home. So, there really isn't a lot of risk. (Not like if you tried to open a physical store.)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM

mollyblythe,

I would also suggest you check out the fabjob website. They have informational guides on a variety of interesting career options, a lot of which would be home businesses.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
You don't have to be the only one offering a product or service in order to make money. You just have to figure out a way to make the idea unique to separate you from the competition. (i.e. for the gift baskets - the large online gift basket sellers only have generic products. My suggestion was to specialize, such as designing a gift basket for teachers with school supplies, and things related to that. Something unique that the big dogs don't sell).
While I agree in theory, there is usually a reason why the bigger shops don't sell it - because there's not much money in it. My friend's failed organic pet food business was an example of this.

Remember the big shops have the same low barrier to entry as you do - the difference: they have a lot more bodies to throw at the problem.

Better to develop your niche product and seek out wholesale distributors and retail vendors than to concentrate on one-at-a-time internet sales.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Here's my idea (I work in marketing & marketing communications)--start an all-natural cotton fiber clothing line for older women that's smartly designed and comfortable--and made in the USA and using Fair Trade Practices...

Mix n' Match would be a good way to go.

Older women would love some hip, cool clothing that flatters their figures and is comfortable. Design clothes to disguise abdomen and upper arm flab and you've got a big winner.

Coldwater Creek offers some of this, but I think there's room for more...check out Eileen Fisher, too.

PM me to discuss further..I specialize in this niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment