Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,428,402 times

Advertisements

No.. Every blue collar job I applied to when I just needed work wouldn't hire me. They probably don't want somebody working for finance and insurance in Chicago working there as they have strange views...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,377,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
golgi, I went to medical school, spent a year doing the prereqs and took the MCAT, and another year to apply. Applying is a hell of a nerve-wrecking experience, since my undergrad GPA was still far below average among admitted students (I hadn't considered medical school before, so never worried about my GPA in college). If I hadn't gotten in, I would've wasted two years being Don Quixote.
I'm glad that it worked out for you, as that is definitely a large risk of time, effort, and money, even just to get the prereqs, without reasonable assurance of admittance. Are you still in school, or are you now "Doctor Guineas"?

Whatever the case, congrats!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM

782 posts, read 3,782,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
If you are lucky enough to still find the union manufacturing jobs or have the connections to getting them.

That's what I find really unfair about union jobs. Yes, they are great for those in them, but the ones who are laid off or just starting out, they are out of luck.
Union manufacturing still exist. Some unions jobs connections can help,but you can still work a union job without help from anyone. I'm a specialized union truck driver myself,whom got hire without help or experience.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM

56 posts, read 100,742 times
I was a mid level exec in SoCal, got laid off (first time in my life) in 2007 and found that there were NO jobs at that level anymore.

I had gone back into the Marine Corps Reserve the year before (thank God) so I got some active duty time, but ended up getting my CDL. For one, I had always wanted to drive a truck. Two, I needed to get working. I drove on and off for about a year, got out of it and went back on active duty.

Guess who is going back to a truck now?

I have fun driving truck. My experience is mostly flatbed but the new company I'll be working for will be dryvan and reefer. Pay is decent but I'll never EVER get back to what I was making in the corporate world (hence the name "Corporate Death").

You can make a *decent* living in trucking as a company driver but dont ever plan on getting wealthy there. If you are used to being on the golf course on the weekends and having decent vacations with the family and time spent on your hobbies, forget it. It's over. Average hometime during a month is about three days, if that. Average first year income is between $29k and $37k, although, some have done well over $70k (before the economy took a dump and finally pulled trucking down with it).

If you are going to drive, find a company pulling reefers (KLLM, FFE, Magnum, etc...) talk to the drivers (go to a truck stop or go to the internet trucking forums) and ask around. You need miles. These days you will start at next to nothing per mile (from about .28/mi to .30/mi) but after about a year, you should be able to get upwards of .34-.38). There are some companies that still take newbies right out of school, but expect to be abused. KLLM is a good company for newbs if you are in an area where they are taking them. Check with the company you want before you go to school to find out how much training they require.

Overall, not a place to get wealthy, but good honest work. I wont be in it forever, but until that cushy high paying mgmt job finds me, or a good long term active duty deployment finds me, I have to feed the family.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,716,215 times
Even if I was smart enough I'd never be a doctor because you work 80+hr weeks and have no life except for your money and luxuries.

I'm white collar as an engineer / CAD Designer and when I interviewed at one company for the Mechanical Engineer position they said the Machinists make more... It's crazy how some blue collar Machinists are robbing companies like Boeing where they make $90,000+ a year and they went on strike. And some companies don't respect their white collar employees like Caterpillar and John Deere. I had a recruiter email me a $22/hr John Deere Proengineer Job and that is just well below the $28 to $35 rates for Proe Designers. Caterpillar sucks with their H1Bs and white collar contracting, so no health insurance...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 PM

34 posts, read 144,353 times
Wow! I really appreciate your story. This recession has been just as tough on white-collar workers. I ran across a news item from last summer as I keyworded around yesterday. It's very relevant to this forum discussion - Recession presses white collars into trucking | Business - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,052,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha08 View Post
Has anyone had any success in changing careers from a white collar to a blue collar one?
Yes but I couldn't handle trying to deal with my co-workers. I had nothing in common with them, I had nothing to talk about. It was torture. Not that I am *that* social on the job, but I couldn't stand hearing any more stories about so-and-so's pregnant daughter who got beat up by her live-in boyfriend who just got out of jail and whose ex-wife was caught cooking meth and now they have to take in her FOUR children because she doesn't know who the other fathers are anyway.... yada yada yada. It gets old really fast.

YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 PM

34 posts, read 144,353 times
LOL, I thought it might be like that sometimes. I'll have to pretend that I'm a bit of redneck in some situations so I don't come across as being "all uppity." I'm really far from being a redneck, though. I tend to be a critical thinker, like to listen to modern rock and want the amenities that go with living in a city. I wonder if the industry's leadership has ever considered remaking its image to attract a more diverse pool of potential employees. Regardless, it is what it is and I'd be happy to take the work.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

56 posts, read 100,742 times
That is what I like about trucking. I can be whoever I want because it's easy for me to shut everyone else out. I'm the only one in the cab, I listen to whatever music I like that day, when waiting for a pickup or delivery my doors are closed and radio on. No need for me to jibber jabber with the other folks at the dock or in other trucks. Even at a truck stop I make the choice.

The days of the "redneck trucker" are pretty much over. Most of the drivers you see out there are retired military, former IT professionals, etc.... The image of the industry is changing and FAST.

Thing is, you will find PLENTY of people in your same situation at a truck stop. I've chatted with MBA's, Teachers, former cops, former execs, lawyers, etc. Folks who for whatever reason made a change. Some wanted to, some HAD to. The only thing I can tell you is that if you HAVE to drive a truck because your employment options leave no other choice, your chances of being successful in trucking are slim. You just wont last. If you truly enjoy the lifestyle (Notice I said lifestyle not JOB), you will do just fine. I'm one of those who will not make it long term driving a truck. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but getting through college and achieving some notoriety and stature in the corporate world has imprinted itself on me. I will always miss being on a golf course (even though I suck), and being able to spend my off time and holidays at home, instead of a truckstop that smells like stale urine with toothless dudes who are inviting a lot lizard into their truck whenever they get the chance.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,398,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Even if I was smart enough I'd never be a doctor because you work 80+hr weeks and have no life except for your money and luxuries.
You only do 80 hr weeks in residency. Out of residency, you work about 50-60 hours, which is typical of most professional jobs in America. The only exception are neurosurgeons, who generally still work more than 70 hours after residency since their cases are so damn long. But neurosurgeons also make $700k.

Lifestyle in medicine is tough, but so is truck driving, and the latter could never make 6 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment