Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM

32 posts, read 147,802 times

Advertisements

I am have been interested -- planning really -- to move out of my state. I simply cannot afford the fuel costs to heat my house, low salaries, unemployment, any longer, and want to move south. Two weeks ago I put my house on the market, praying it will sell before the winter sets in.

However, I also happen to be unemployed right now and need some money coming in fast. I applied to the local supermarket, thinking that would be an easy job to walk away from when my house sells. Incredibly, they called me and asked me to interview for a GOOD job (not just a bagger or cashier). I went, and it went very well. I think they will offer it to me. It's only part time though -- in no way will I be able to survive on it without full time hours, and even then it's doubtful. But for now it would tide me over.

Some people at the store know me and told the manager I was selling my house and planning to move. So, at the interview, they told me they were concerned about that and asked if it was so. Obviously, I would not be considered for this job if I said "yes."

So, question - What should I have said? I need a job right now. It's unfortunate that they know I've been thinking of moving, but they do and I cannot change that.

I am making myself sick over this. I don't want to mislead these nice people, but on the other hand, I don't want to starve either! As I said - there is mostly unemployment here.

Please help -- what would you do?

- L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM

266 posts, read 1,107,444 times
My response would have been to play dumb. With a puzzled look on my face "Someone told you I was moving? I don't know why they would think that. I am here for the job and here to work."

But please don't make yourself sick. I've done that for far too many jobs in the past. The interview never goes perfectly, there is always something I said that I wish I could go back and change. You just have to realize they will either call and make an offer, or they won't and it's out of your hands.

You can always go apply at another store and hope you have better luck with that one.

P.S. What kind of person would sabotage you like that? Man, I would be so mad they weren't minding their own business!!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
More to the point, what DID you say? I always think honesty is the best policy and who knows how long your house will be on the market - it could be months or years! And could be that the part-time job might quickly segue into full time. Who knows? If you really do want the job and think you may have flubbed the answer to the question, I'd level with them right away. Cheers!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,429,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillieB View Post
I am have been interested -- planning really -- to move out of my state. I simply cannot afford the fuel costs to heat my house, low salaries, unemployment, any longer, and want to move south. Two weeks ago I put my house on the market, praying it will sell before the winter sets in.

However, I also happen to be unemployed right now and need some money coming in fast. I applied to the local supermarket, thinking that would be an easy job to walk away from when my house sells. Incredibly, they called me and asked me to interview for a GOOD job (not just a bagger or cashier). I went, and it went very well. I think they will offer it to me. It's only part time though -- in no way will I be able to survive on it without full time hours, and even then it's doubtful. But for now it would tide me over.

Some people at the store know me and told the manager I was selling my house and planning to move. So, at the interview, they told me they were concerned about that and asked if it was so. Obviously, I would not be considered for this job if I said "yes."

So, question - What should I have said? I need a job right now. It's unfortunate that they know I've been thinking of moving, but they do and I cannot change that.

I am making myself sick over this. I don't want to mislead these nice people, but on the other hand, I don't want to starve either! As I said - there is mostly unemployment here.

Please help -- what would you do?

- L.
It's called survival. You have to survive and, trust me, this company will survive if you leave. I would have just said "Yes, my house is up for sale but you know how the market is nowadays". And who said anything about moving away? You could still sell your house and stay in the area and rent an apartment as far as they know. As I said in another thread, no one knows what is really going to happen when it is all said and done. Circumstances change everyday. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM

799 posts, read 2,165,722 times
I agree with Sunnyaz...

Sounds like some at the store were trying to sabotage you. They might fear for their jobs or be jealous of you coming in at a higher level than them.

Anyway, I would have explained to the store that you are interested in their offer and that you don't know why anyone would have made those remarks Now, if your house IS on the market, don't say that...

Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 AM

32 posts, read 147,802 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here is what I did do...

At the time of the original question, I did not tell a lie. I just sort of implied that I HAD wanted to sell my house but was not sure where to go -- possibly stay in the same area --- which was the truth (although right now seemed not very likely). Then the subject changed and we got off in another direction.

They REALLY seemed to want me and I really wanted this job. Who knows, it may turn my whole fortune around?

They called me back to formally offer me the job and I was very happy but I decided that I could not live with leaving things like that, so I told her that while I'm REALLY unsure about what I'll do to afford living here, moving is still in the differential for me if I cannot make enough with them and cannot get something else to supplement. I just needed to throw it out there and let them decide what to do. Even if I lost the job, I would be able to live with myself. I was ashamed that I didn't have the integrity to have been more clear about it in the first place -- I just wanted the job so much that it colored my thinking.

To my surprise, she said, "That is okay. We're willing to take the chance. None of us knows what the future will bring..." And I think she realized the struggle I was having and appreciated my being open and honest about it.

I learned a good lesson today. Thanks everyone for being part of this mini-crisis with me

Best,
LillieB.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 AM

763 posts, read 2,257,005 times
Good for you for straightening it out! We need more people like you around.

Whoever told them that you were selling your house did the right thing in potentially protecting them from the harm of spending the money on you just to have you leave. But, most businesses know that if circumstances change, most people want to remain near "home".

In my current job, we were planning on moving due to employment that my wife was offered elsewhere. (I had been unemployed due to a devastating injury, and returned to work the day the doctor released me to do so.) The company knew that I might only be around for a few months, because although my wife had already relocated, I could not leave until I finished up with some things. In the meantime, my wife was offered a job locally that paid more than we had ever made together up until that point, so she returned. I'm still there and so is she.

When she relocated, she had every intention of staying with the new company. But, being offered a raise of double her salary was irresistible.

Honesty always is the best policy and serves everyone well, including the honesty of others who knew your situation.

Congratulations on the new job and I hope everything works out for you!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
If pressed, could you say I am thinking of getting an apartment because the house is too much for me? If the house sells, you could always rent. Or you could say I haven't gotten the offer I thought I could sell it for so I am just waiting to see if the market turns around.

Good luck. Sometimes you get a miracle in the bottom of the 9th!!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 AM

943 posts, read 4,252,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Good for you for straightening it out! We need more people like you around.

Whoever told them that you were selling your house did the right thing in potentially protecting them from the harm of spending the money on you just to have you leave.
No, whoever told them that was being nosey and needed to mind their business.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,318,274 times
Honestly, most places don't care that much what is going on with your private situations. They will train someone else if/when you leave. I would not mention anything about your personal life to anyone that worked there from now on though. It happens all the time where someone has quit unexpectedly for a variety of reasons, personal, health, better pay, etc. It's an inconvenience of hiring employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment