Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Two Muslim women said they were denied jobs at a McDonald's restaurant in Dearborn because they wore Islamic headscarves, according to a discrimination lawsuit filed Thursday in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Toi Whitfield, 20, of Detroit and Quiana Pugh, 25, of Dearborn said they applied for jobs at the McDonald's on Ford Road in the eastern section of Dearborn but were told by the store manager, "You're not going to work here if you don't remove" the headscarf, known as a hijab.

McDonald's wouldn't hire women with hijabs, suit says | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/NEWS02/807250356 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I love it, everybody in America has all kinds of *rights* they want to exercise at every opportunity. The right to a job, the right to a home, the right to wear whatever kind of piercing/getup/tattoo, and they expect all of us to do homage to their individuality.

Not.

These people can file lawsuits till the cows come home. That doesn't mean they have a case worth hearing or a chance of winning.

In this world if you want to make a living anywhere you have to kowtow to management and present a persona that says "I'm here to do business and make you money". That's all there is. Business is not about individual righteousness, it's about getting things done and making money for the company--on the company's terms.

If you don't like it find another company. If you can't find a company that fits your individuality, create your own company. Don't go whining to the legal system about how your rights have been violated and life isn't fair.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Come to Dallas, Texas - plenty of workers wear those headscarves, at McDonalds, at grocery stores, Target...I see them everywhere worn by employees. It's not a biggie.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
Yeah, I have to comply to a dress code as well. What a bummer. Should I sue?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I love it, everybody in America has all kinds of *rights* they want to exercise at every opportunity. The right to a job, the right to a home, the right to wear whatever kind of piercing/getup/tattoo, and they expect all of us to do homage to their individuality.
I love it, everybody in America wants to exercise their rights to show bias towards others for no reason other than they can. That is why we have to have constitutional amendments and laws because Americans in general love discriminating against anyone who does not look or think like them.

You would strongly be opposed if the McDonalds made everyone wear a hijab, or made them shave their head, perhaps if a company did not allow anyone to work that did not have a tattoo on their arm?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Yeah, I have to comply to a dress code as well. What a bummer. Should I sue?
What if the dress code called for something you did not agree with?

A dress code should be limited to what is required for performance of the job at hand, it should not impede or trample over others personal rights.

The only reason you and others are against it is because it is against Muslims.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:28 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,125 times
I've even seen the head wear in hospitals...and frankly, it's not hygenic. It is as dirty as wearing long sleeves around patients.
Would you want someone with long hair leaning over you? I am sure they wash their hair, but see the connection?
How stupid it is, that anyone would ever think it's about discrimination, when it's about cleanliness...how narcissistic and self centered.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 PM

The dress code should be left up to the company's owner, unless it's a public job such as working for the government.

If an employer wanted to require their employees to wear purple polka dotted yellow suits, that should be his rights.

What about companies that require ties and jackets? How about a Baptist church? Should they be required to accommodate a Muslim? How about an avowed Satanic worshipper?

I would like for you to show me in the US Constitution where equal outcome is guaranteed and where private business owners' rights are taken away.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dearbourn is heavy muslim. however mcdonalds has a dress code.
i think they do a pretty good job of keeping it. i mean a lota people wana wear their gangster stuff at mcdonalds but they gota wear the uniform instead.
i realize its a religious issue. the courts will have to sort it out.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 PM

So, if my religion required me to wear nothing but a loin cloth and paint big red circles around my nipples, should McDonald's be required to accommodate me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment