Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times

Advertisements

When I was younger it was beaten into me that if you want a job you submit a resume or application, then you check up on your application at once a week. You were also suppose to be persistent to show the employer that you were serious about wanting to work there. 90% of the time this resulted in you getting a job.

Now whenever I call or visit a place Ive applied at they have absolutely no idea what "checking up on an application" means. I actually had to tell one girl "it means go get your manager". This of course was followed by the manager telling me that they dont allow checking up as they fell theyre being harassed. Ive also been told it makes an applicant look needy. Dont most applicants need a job? This has been the basic attitude everywhere. No long form applications anywhere, you have to apply online and take some 45 minute long psychological exam, then sit back and HOPE they saw your application because they dont allow checking up/following up.

Is anyone else noticing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Change your wording to "status", as in "I'm calling to check on the status of my application (or interview)". Good luck in your job search.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Ive done that and say "we dont allow that". Im told by everyone just to sit back and wait. That just doesnt seem right. being told "well, if we were going to hire you you wouldve received a phone call from us" just doesnt sound very professional.

My favorite was:

Me: Yes, Im calling to check on the status of my application"

Manager: "Have you submitted an application?"

Me: (yes you stupid $%#! thats why i said "check on the status of my application") "Yes"

Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,778 times
"Have you submitted an application" is the standard blow-off response.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Those days are over. Just apply and wait, they don't care if you bug them with a follow up note, won't make a diff. in most cases.

It's an employers market.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When I was younger it was beaten into me that if you want a job you submit a resume or application, then you check up on your application at once a week. You were also suppose to be persistent to show the employer that you were serious about wanting to work there. 90% of the time this resulted in you getting a job.

Now whenever I call or visit a place Ive applied at they have absolutely no idea what "checking up on an application" means. I actually had to tell one girl "it means go get your manager". This of course was followed by the manager telling me that they dont allow checking up as they fell theyre being harassed. Ive also been told it makes an applicant look needy. Dont most applicants need a job? This has been the basic attitude everywhere. No long form applications anywhere, you have to apply online and take some 45 minute long psychological exam, then sit back and HOPE they saw your application because they dont allow checking up/following up.

To me it's stupid to follow up on a application or resume submission. If you don't hear anything that means the job is fake or they chose someone else.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post

I witnessed this recently at a CVS store. The guy in front of me had come in to follow up on his application and the cashier pretty much did what you said. He didn't seem to get that this guy(who was no kid) wanted a status.

I felt bad for the guy so I asked the cashier after he left how does someone get hired here. His answer was "I don't know". He was fairly young.

Well I said in the "old days" people came in filled out an application and if they made a decent appearance usually left with a job if there was an opening.

I honestly don't know how people get hired for these chain stores. Everything is online, but who is reviewing the applicatons?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I witnessed this recently at a CVS store. The guy in front of me had come in to follow up on his application and the cashier pretty much did what you said. He didn't seem to get that this guy(who was no kid) wanted a status.

I felt bad for the guy so I asked the cashier after he left how does someone get hired here. His answer was "I don't know". He was fairly young.

Well I said in the "old days" people came in filled out an application and if they made a decent appearance usually left with a job if there was an opening.

I honestly don't know how people get hired for these chain stores. Everything is online, but who is reviewing the applicatons?
You have to KNOW PEOPLE to get those jobs. Most of the jobs like CVS and fast food are filled from

Referrals from either a Job Developer or Employee

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

115 posts, read 327,080 times
What if you call or e-mail and say something like:
"I want to confirm that you received my resume"

e-mail outreach may seem less "harassing"

Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_travelbug_X View Post
What if you call or e-mail and say something like:
"I want to confirm that you received my resume"

e-mail outreach may seem less "harassing"
It's no point in reaching out after a resume submission. If you don't hear anything just move on to the next opportunity. I applied to a job last week through email and was a 100% qualified for the position and still have not gotten a call back

Maybe they are just looking to hire a woman
Maybe the position is not really opening
Maybe they feel I'm worth more than they are willing to offer

So you see how it can be several reasons why you didn't get a call back? So I have already moved on because I'm defintely not going to call or email again and look desperate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search