U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM

286 posts, read 447,683 times
Unhappy How do you manage to work 2 jobs?

I am trying to get advice from anyone who manages to work a 40+ hour a week full time job as well as take on a second job. Also, I take online classes as well, so studying/homework time would have to fit in as well. I will be moving in 2-3 months to an area that pays significantly less then the one I'm in now (also, I won't be able to work 2 jobs once I move). I just had surgery and with no insurance I was forced to put it all on my credit cards so now I am heavily in debt. Any advice from those who manage to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM

2,911 posts, read 4,985,015 times
I have not done that since college. I had a full class schedule, worked a full time job at Joske's dept store in their credit dept, a part time job with J.C. Penneys selling suits and sporting goods, and for a brief period in there also held a part time position with Foley's as an XOC (Extra On Call).

School was my top priority, so my full time job schedule was flexible to allow me to take required classes and juggle my shifts for those, but I tried to schedule my classes to reduce work conflicts as much as I could. I normally worked evening shifts and was permitted to flex for Tues/Thurs classes or Mon/Wed/Fri classes as the school required.

Any time free after classes and Joskes, I requested hours from JCPenney and told them my classes were scheduled for the remainder of the time. They usually gave me between 15-30 hours per week. Whenever I got a call from Foley's with an assignment I accepted it only if I did not have those shifts already scheduled with one of the other jobs or class. Foleys was my lowest priority since they had the least availability, but I did like that discount.

After I graduated and got married, the only second jobs I held were working for my father in the construction industry and those were only as my time was available and he needed extra help. They were not constant jobs and never interfered with my fulltime schedule. Ususally weekend jobs and night work.

It is not easy and you have no "time for yourself", but if money is tight you have to do whatever you need to make the money last the whole week.

Unread 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM

6,226 posts, read 5,801,014 times
I used to work my full time job, go to grad school a couple of nights a week, take care of my house and yard two nights a week, and then work a part time job three nights a week. It wasn't easy, but I was in my twenties so I had enough energy to do it. (BTW I made more money at my part time job -working at a bar, than I did my full time professional job. There's great money to be made at a bar.)

Unread 07-30-2008, 10:26 PM

348 posts, read 1,493,117 times
This is a question I ask myself a lot!! I've worked 2 jobs for nearly 2 years. I have a normal office job & work part-time at Target about 20 hours or less a week. It is NOT easy!! When I lived in Colorado, my 2nd job was to pay off my debt. Now I live in Arizona where the pay is incredibly crappy & now it's practically to support myself!! It is not for everyone. It will wear you down faster than anything & burnout is a regular thing (especially when you work retail say around Christmas time ). There have been times when I would come home from work at my day job on a night I have off my 2nd job & literally just crash for a couple hours. Nap time!! And I'm in my late 20s--but I feel like I've aged physically beyond my years--no joke. My best advice would be to remember the reason why you're doing it---if that'll keep ya motivated. For me, without Target, I wouldn't have been able to pay off a huge amount of credit card debt. For that, I am thankful. But now it's just time to get a good paying full time job & be done with the 2nd job so I can start living life. Like johnrex62 said, you really don't have any time for yourself---it can get to ya!! Best of luck to you.

Unread 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,097,553 times
I have worked three jobs at the same time. I worked full time in the day, part time at night and sold AVON products on the side. I had tons of customers and usually delivered the products when I got off at night. I never had an off day. I worked every day, for like 2 years. It is a daily "grind" that you get used to. It takes a lot of focus and determination-to reach the goal-hopefully to not keep working that way. For there is a "reason" you are working like this-and it takes alot of strength.

It gets tiring-i did not have much time to focus on myself although I kept my hair done. It helped. My best advice is only from my opinion-everyone is different. I cooked meals on the weekends when I got off and froze them-I hate to cook now but then I had no choice. Also remember to eat-it is so easy to "forget" because you are so busy. Take a daily vitamin.. Get power naps. I cannot tell you how helpful that 30 min nap "between" jobs helped. My mom lived by my seond job so i would nap there and then go to work.

Schedule your time-especially if you have projects due, appts, etc. Put them on a calendar so you will not forget. And finally grasp on to each and every moment of rest you can get. even if its just an hour. Don't let yourself go. For me, i had a flexible stylist who would do my hair for me at 5am on weekends before i had to go in to work. That helped me with confidence, made me feel better about myself.

Find "something" you like to do and pursue it. Even if its a jog, or a choc sundae or watching a certain show. Do something- and pray that this "grind" will end someday. The end prize is almost certain when you remain focused. Good luck and much respect for working hard for what you want in life. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Push

Unread 07-31-2008, 12:56 AM

763 posts, read 1,403,814 times
Center it around the job that is most important. If the hours are flexible, great! If not, then those hours are blocked off. Then, look for a job that has hours that won't interfere with the other job.

I used to deliver USA Today to stores, so I started work at 4 AM or so, worked 2 or 3 hours per day, 5 days per week doing that, then my regular job started at 9 or 10 AM depending upon which day. Between getting off one job and going to the other, I was busy building up my new business, as well as after I got off until bed time. On Friday and Saturday nights, I worked 3rd shift at a convenience store to help out someone who was close to retiring. (I guess I was working 4 jobs, but one of them was only 16 hours per week and one was only 13-15 hours per week.) That left me weekend days for family time. Although the 4AM Friday straight through to 8AM Saturday was rough, and I'd have to sleep a few hours before doing family stuff.

Unread 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM

42,853 posts, read 48,862,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I have worked three jobs at the same time. I worked full time in the day, part time at night and sold AVON products on the side. I had tons of customers and usually delivered the products when I got off at night. I never had an off day. I worked every day, for like 2 years.
Wow, that's crazy, Push! I'm sure money felt good, but I can't do it unless I absolutely have to.

Unread 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

5,246 posts, read 2,812,012 times
Well, basically, you do it by not having any other life outside work or school. I used to work an 8-5 job, went to school at night, and worked a 2nd job in retail from Friday through Sunday.

Unread 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM

763 posts, read 1,403,814 times
As Americans (and modern people in general), we've become lazy and expect to only work 40 hours per week, and wonder why we can't afford health care, food, cars, etc. How many rich people do you think worked only 40 hours per week? Most of them work much more than that even after getting rich, but I doubt you could find more than a handful that didn't work 80 hours or more per week, every week.

Those who built this nation would work 80 hours or more per week in the fields, markets, whatever.

God designed us to work 12 hours per day, 6 days per week.

It's no wonder that people don't get ahead.

Unread 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM

42,853 posts, read 48,862,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
As Americans (and modern people in general), we've become lazy and expect to only work 40 hours per week, and wonder why we can't afford health care, food, cars, etc. How many rich people do you think worked only 40 hours per week? Most of them work much more than that even after getting rich, but I doubt you could find more than a handful that didn't work 80 hours or more per week, every week.

Those who built this nation would work 80 hours or more per week in the fields, markets, whatever.

God designed us to work 12 hours per day, 6 days per week.

It's no wonder that people don't get ahead.
Wow, no wonder things are the way they are with so many sheeple around... Why don't you just move to God's land and accomplish your dream schedule?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment