U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:58 PM

948 posts, read 2,490,058 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that some of you can help me with some questions I have.
I am going in for an interview for a Bank Teller position at Regions Bank. My questions are following.
How much does a bank teller get paid hourly with no banking experience but with 8 years of customer service / sales experience?
I know that some banks are open on Saturdays. Do banks naturally pay their tellers extra for weekends?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

5,772 posts, read 7,875,198 times
Go for your interview, pass the teller test and then ask HR. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Go for your interview, pass the teller test and then ask HR. Good luck!
I already passed the teller test, but thanks anyways.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,997,083 times
I don't know where you live, but here in Phx they make about $9-10/hr. I don't think they make more on Sat, but who knows. You can always check careerbuilder.com and see if there are jobs posted with the pay.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,011,722 times
Usually if a teller is required to work Saturday, they either get comp time or a set flat pay (like $50 for 4 hours). How much they get depends on the area, but $9 to $10 an hour is fair. If you're lucky, in 3 to 6 months, you go salary.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 PM

6,013 posts, read 4,602,423 times
My wife's a teller who sometimes works Saturdays. She gets paid time and a half for hours worked over 40 in a week.

She's worked at a very well known national bank as a teller - and hated every second of it.

Now she works at a local credit union - and loves every second of it. According to her, it's a day and night difference.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
My wife's a teller who sometimes works Saturdays. She gets paid time and a half for hours worked over 40 in a week.

She's worked at a very well known national bank as a teller - and hated every second of it.

Now she works at a local credit union - and loves every second of it. According to her, it's a day and night difference.

Good luck!

Why did she hate working for a bank?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM

25,391 posts, read 31,712,866 times
When I worked as a teller (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth ), I didn't get paid extra for working Saturdays unless that put me over 40 hours. And my bank did not like paying overtime ... Usually if I worked Saturdays, I'd have Tuesdays or Wednesdays off.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM

418 posts, read 464,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When I worked as a teller (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth ), I didn't get paid extra for working Saturdays unless that put me over 40 hours. And my bank did not like paying overtime ... Usually if I worked Saturdays, I'd have Tuesdays or Wednesdays off.

I have a sil who just left a bank teller position. Main reason being that management is pushing the hard sell. In other words, the bank teller expected to put *cheeks in seats* on bank products. There was a certain number/ratio that had to be referred daily.

As she said of the frustration of it, "if I'd wanted to be a sales person, I'd of gone into a sales field, and likely been making scads more money doing it".

Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
I have a sil who just left a bank teller position. Main reason being that management is pushing the hard sell. In other words, the bank teller expected to put *cheeks in seats* on bank products. There was a certain number/ratio that had to be referred daily.

As she said of the frustration of it, "if I'd wanted to be a sales person, I'd of gone into a sales field, and likely been making scads more money doing it".

Thanks for that input. I work in retail. At Macy's. And I HATE it. I don't dislike the selling part as much but the hours. We close at 11.00OPM some nights. My husband works late evenings too so and we both work every weekend. Try to find childcare at 11.00pm. Right now we are paying almost $700.00 in childcare a month for just 3 days a week. Thats Saturday, Sunday and Friday. This fall that will increase to $800.00 + because of rate changes. I know that a bank wants you to sell and I think I can deal with that. Nothing can be worse then working retail and it's hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment