U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 151,950 times
Default Getting a job in retail without experience

I am thinking about getting a job at some store while looking for permanent position as Executive Assistant. I have absolutely no experience in retail. Where do I start? Do I just go to the stores to apply, or use their websites? How hard it is to get a position without experience in the field?

I would like to try department stores such as Macy's etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:25 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,968,946 times
If I were you I would just go to the store's personnel office in person and ask for an application. Then if I had the time I would fill out the app right then and there. You might also ask whoever gives you the app if she/he knows of any current openings. This way they put a face to paper. You might also ask if there is anyone there at that time who might be able to speak to you for a moment about any openings. You just never know so I would take the chance.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM

5,254 posts, read 11,124,906 times
retail is pretty much the "warm body - will hire" industry. Esp. around the holidays they will love to get your appl.

Best bet: get hired at a store that you can get good discounts on stuff you would actually use. I worked at sears for years and got good discounts on all kinds of stuff for me and my family.

Go to the stores. Get several applications from the various stores. Fill them out at home. Do not fill in your ss# onto a paper application, even though they ask for it. Put down, upon interview or upon request. It is a identify theft risk to put it down on that paper.

OR I know target and several grocery store chains have computerized kiosks where you can apply right there. Which is nice.

good luck.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:27 PM

5,254 posts, read 11,124,906 times
forgot: fill them out at home, then return the applications to the stores/store managers.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,697,535 times
Retail? hahaha...

the question should be "finding any person working in retail WITH experience"

Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM

948 posts, read 2,362,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memsaab View Post
I am thinking about getting a job at some store while looking for permanent position as Executive Assistant. I have absolutely no experience in retail. Where do I start? Do I just go to the stores to apply, or use their websites? How hard it is to get a position without experience in the field?

I would like to try department stores such as Macy's etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I work at Macy's and you can only apply on line with them. They have all the positions posted. It is hard to get the specific position you want because they like to hire within when it comes to executive positions. Now if you start out as a sales associate and then advance to department manager and then move on from there. If I were you and really wanted this I would also go to school and get an education in the field you are interested in. That will help you a lot. You can go to school while working at Macy's. They most likely will work around your schedule. But do not, I repeat, do not get stuck as a sales associate. Keep pushing for manager training as soon as possible. Make that clear in the interview.

From somebody that worked as an associate for waaaaaaaay to long

Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 PM

948 posts, read 2,362,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Retail? hahaha...

the question should be "finding any person working in retail WITH experience"

I don't get you point?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 AM

12 posts, read 151,950 times
Applied online for Macys Sales Associate position and got a letter saying they can't use me.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,697,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I don't get you point?
Sorry thought it was obvious. Point being that most in retail have absolutely no experience and no knowledge of the product they are selling...and the amount of customer service you get reflects that.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,367,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sorry thought it was obvious. Point being that most in retail have absolutely no experience and no knowledge of the product they are selling...and the amount of customer service you get reflects that.
well, if you're like me and has a retail job as a second job, and only show up there two days a week and they change EVERYTHING during the week, it's hard to know what's going on.

Also, if you come to my store complaining about a $4 cup of coffee or $3 bottle of water, and you're carrying a bag from Bloomingdale's or Juicy Couture, don't be surprised when I give you a look lacking in sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment