Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 32,518 times

Advertisements

You know I was reading this and I can see both sides of the coin. I was fired yesterday after 4 hours on the job. I am a new graduate who expressed concern on the interview that my skills were not fine tuned and that I would have to require a little extra compassion . They were like "fine". Totally different story when I walked in the office. The woman expressed anger because I was early start time 745am. I was there at 730am. Ultimately knowing one of the patients was terrified of needles and walked out of the office last time. She of course asked me to draw blood on that very individual. I froze and screwed up I admit it. Got the blood out but I was totally insecure in my application. That was grounds for termination. However, all morning she was hinting that she was going to fire me because she kept insinuating that I lied to get the job about my credentials. I have my credentials in writing there is no possible way I would lie about them. I worked hard to get them but it did not look that way because I was so nervous .Too bad for me ..on to the next one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
ArleneJ:"I got fired after seven days on the job and I am 56 years old. I was told by the girl training me that I gave them the impression that I had extensive computer experience during the interview. I never said that or meant to misrepresent myself in anyway. The girl that was training me talked fast and moved around in the computer files too fast and I only had a few days to understand the job. I did not have the chance to watch what she was doing and also write notes. While she was training me she was chatting on-line with others. After a while she became mean and demanding. We were in a cube and the other people around us could hear her speak to me in a tone you would use on a young child. She then went to our boss and told the boss I was incompetent. I could have been a great employee, if i had been given a chance to learn the job."

Sadly, I'm not surprised. In over 2 decades of professional employment, (this is not said to be sexist, I've seen it), I have been appalled often at the treatment of women by other women, almost always at their OWN level. In cases where they were direct reports, I could stop it real fast, and did, by warning the employee if she did not cut it out, there would be another opening in the department. One called my bluff, and she was fired for insubordination (after a written warning giving her time with the new employee to mend her ways), challenged the ruling with ui, and we won.
You know I was reading this and I can see both sides of the coin. I was fired yesterday after 4 hours on the job. I am a new graduate who expressed concern on the interview that my skills were not fine tuned and that I would have to require a little extra compassion . They were like "fine". Totally different story when I walked in the office. The woman expressed anger because I was early start time 745am. I was there at 730am. Ultimately knowing one of the patients was terrified of needles and walked out of the office last time. She of course asked me to draw blood on that very individual. I froze and screwed up I admit it. Got the blood out but I was totally insecure in my application. That was grounds for termination. However, all morning she was hinting that she was going to fire me because she kept insinuating that I lied to get the job about my credentials. I have my credentials in writing there is no possible way I would lie about them. I worked hard to get them but it did not look that way because I was so nervous .Too bad for me ..on to the next one..

Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM

and they pulled the same **** in bull story that I gave a different impression on the interview. I think that whoever hired me is in a battle of wills or control in that office. And that is the reason why it happened. I was in the middle of a triangle..only because I witnessed a shout out fight in the front office and they asked me my nationality out of the blue. Weird hugh?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Needless to say as a mature woman I am still depressed over this...about to lose my home in foreclosure and not having luck with any jobs. I was landscaping for heavens sake and the job caused me to have peripheral edema in both legs ankles and feet. I was in screaming pain every night. So I have to find something else. Life is not easy and people like that make it harder its hard not to let them get you down because rejection hurts. One day they will be old no one escapes it unless you die early and they will realize its difficult.. Or maybe not but I know people like that are miserable especially enjoying the agony they spew on new employees. There should be a law against it.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What are your thoughts on that? She is older (early 50s) and was in training for about 4 days (medical field) and was fired for working too slow...lol...she has 15 years prior experience in the medical field and was in complete shock when she informed me on this...I am too...what should she do? File a grievance?

My friend is not a drug addict or a drinker, has no criminal background, and is very serious about showing up on time and doing job well....I'm just so confused and sad for my friend...
They did her a favor.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I haven't read all the posts, so if this has been mentioned....ignore it if you like.

I have had employees that I would have loved to have fired in four days, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt and kept trying to fit them in. If it wasn't working well in four days, it never would.

Some don't ask enough questions. Some want to talk about how they used to do it at the old job.
some talk too much about personal things like family, health, or religion. Some give you a creepy feel, because they won't look you in the eye. Also, things like bad breath or body odor, heavy perfume. There are a zillion reasons why the person doesn't fit it well. It's usually dedected about the second day. The third and fourth day will be used trying to figure a good way of letting the person go.

I suspect her age had something to do with it. There may have been a lack of flexibility in learning a new way of doing things.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Getting terminated, as I was, from Dollar General after THREE DAYS - now that's a disgrace! It worked out, though, something much better came along. In an aside, almost a year later, that store has really high turnover. I guess not too many are "good enough", or they don't put out their best effort at being overworked for minimum wage. A good friend of mine who shops there regularly (due to the convenience) complained that she's been treated rudely. I wonder why?

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-19-2011 at 01:07 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I don't even shop there because I get a foreboding vibe there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Getting terminated, as I was, from Dollar General after THREE DAYS - now that's a disgrace! It worked out, though, something much better came along. In an aside, almost a year later, that store has really high turnover. I guess not too many are "good enough", or they don't put out their best effort at being overworked for minimum wage. A good friend of mine who shops there regularly (due to the convenience) complained that she's been treated rudely. I wonder why?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so if this has been mentioned....ignore it if you like.

I have had employees that I would have loved to have fired in four days, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt and kept trying to fit them in. If it wasn't working well in four days, it never would.

Some don't ask enough questions. Some want to talk about how they used to do it at the old job.
some talk too much about personal things like family, health, or religion. Some give you a creepy feel, because they won't look you in the eye. Also, things like bad breath or body odor, heavy perfume. There are a zillion reasons why the person doesn't fit it well. It's usually dedected about the second day. The third and fourth day will be used trying to figure a good way of letting the person go.
Too bad that doesn't work in reverse. I've had bosses like that. It makes me wonder why no one got rid of them.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 AM

56 posts, read 190,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Too bad that doesn't work in reverse. I've had bosses like that. It makes me wonder why no one got rid of them.
Well, you CAN get rid of them. Just quit.

OP, sucks to be your friend but that's just the way it is. Personally, I'm fine with the gamble of being fired for no reason because I like knowing that it works the other way, too. If I don't like a job I can leave and find a new one, just like the employer has the right to get rid of me if they don't like me. Like other posters have said, better sooner than later and now s/he can move onto a position where his/her skills will be valued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment