Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,942,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
wow. ur comment is rude, hurtful, and negative. I will be placing you on ignore.
You can label my actions as you like, call me names if that pleases you.

But it won't get the job back for your "friend".

Time to face reality, instead of your "feelings".

Performance beats excuses any day of the week, which includes trying to place "blame" on others for your "friends'" job loss.

Seriously ... "file a grievance" ... on what grounds? was this a union or government protected job position and past the probationary hire period?

Are you in a "right to work" state? If so, her employment was "at will". Or, in most cases, well within an employee "trial" time period where either could part company without adverse results.

Consider the alternative side of this employment thread ... what if your "friend" had determined in four days training that the job wasn't a "good fit" for her (for any reason) and she quit? Would you be wanting the employer to file a "grievance" against the departed employee? I'll bet, not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,307,472 times
Quote:
It didn't make sense at all because she was going through training.
Depends on the office/work setting also - big difference between (example) the pace at a dermatologist's office vs. an urgent care center.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,157,616 times
To the OP: it seems that any viewpoint that does not agree with yours is going to rub you the wrong way. Whatever it is worth, here is my take on the situation. With as much experience as your friend has in the field an employer would expect her to hit the ground running. Depending on the circumstances 4 days could well be enough to know that your friend was not the right person for this particular position. You indicated that your friend is older and she may well not move with the speed that the employer requires or expects. This has nothing to do with your friend as a person. I live in an at will state and employers here can (and do) fire people on a whim, knowing there are several dozen more who are probably better qualified who would jump at the chance to have the job. In a probationary period an employee can be let go without recourse.

I am curious to know why you are thinking she should file a grievance and what benefit that could possibly be to her.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:54 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,419,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
To You indicated that your friend is older and she may well not move with the speed that the employer requires or expects.
With all respect to your post, we do get slower as we get older, but after four days, who knows for sure if it is age, or just that she is nervous about the new job and hasn't yet built up her speed?

Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM

260 posts, read 672,972 times
That is terrible. I feel so bad for her.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,161,004 times
well that is kinda sad and tough for her, and it is nice you are a concerned friend. But IMO better sooner than later. Maybe it was just not a good fit...give her some support and encourage her to not give up, the right position will come along.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,816,274 times
Thanks, my good friend and I just needed sympathy is all, we know reality is tough but sympathy here and there is good to have. She doesn't plan on a grievence at all, just very shocked at being fired so soon.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM

799 posts, read 2,163,047 times
Default Gee, Ive had that happen

I have been let go from several "medical jobs" within a short period, one as short as 2 weeks. The bad part is they put me under my coworkers, and let them decide if I stay. The bosses didn't know how to do our particular modality, so they asked them. The coworkers put on their best professional faces, but when you see them alone, you get the distinct feeling they don't want you there. Nothing personal, but they know the market is lean, many places are laying off, and the schools are pouring people out.
They let you go early, so you can't claim unemployment. Many of these coworkers didn't give me a chance to prove myself, whereas I had learned all the computer programs necessary, and really worked hard to come on board. I am easy with people, and I avoided the drama gossip circles.
I stayed polite, focused, and professional. I saw coworkers gossiping about patients, really nasty stuff, how about that HIPAA..., and these people still have jobs.
I am not connected, and I think some are just so well connected, they could do something really bad and not get in any trouble. I have lost jobs, when I was the one who passed my boards, twice, and someone didn't have any credentials, and they were usually the ones who gave me the most trouble.

That "It's not a good fit" is more buzzwords which are ambiguous. What wasn't a good fit? Was the person incompetent? Were they not participating in the gossip pool? Did they not do their share of department chores? Were they indifferent to all the talk about Dancing with the Stars? Did they lie about their capabilities?

See...that "good fit" implies the person didn't get along, which, as I have seen, means the coworkers don't want to be replaced by newer or cheaper people. They just bomb anyone who comes in and tell the boss they aren't any good.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
excuse me? What are you getting at?
artsy, I understand what you are saying...sometimes, it doesn't have much to do with the person who got fired at all.
I think you are on the right track.
Most of the time, people aren't playing fair out there, and this is what happens.
It seems on here that people are trying to show that your friend was somehow at fault, but I will say this...I have seen some really bad stuff go on and not one of those people lost their jobs. I have heard of patients complaining about someone, and they didn't lose their job. I have seen some get nasty and downright rude with them, and they didn't lose their job. So, if your friend was brand new on the job, I bet she was savvy enough to walk a fine line during her probation period.

Someone felt threatened and wanted her out of there and fast.
People can be very cruel, and not even feel any remorse at what they do....

Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks, my good friend and I just needed sympathy is all, we know reality is tough but sympathy here and there is good to have. She doesn't plan on a grievence at all, just very shocked at being fired so soon.
Yeah, been in the same situation, they get rid of you before you can collect unemployment, too.
The only comfort is knowing it would have been hell working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment