Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,527 times

Advertisements

I think the "not a good fit" is a corp culture issue. Every culture is different and some people can't thrive in some environments. Others are better at adapting. I think that's why so many companies have the subtle or not-so-subtle 90 day probation period.

I've been out in the work force for over 20 years. I've been fired once (and knew from day 2 of that job that I'd made a HUGE mistake leaving my previous job for that one. They managed to fire me before I could find a new job. But I was looking very hard from the moment I realized it wasn't a good fit.) And I was laid off once. The company closed the office and offered to relocate all of us to Los Angeles. I'd been there about 8 years by that time; had been relocated by them about 4 times and was happy where I was living and had no desire to go to LA. About half the office chose to stick it out and not go to LA and take the very generous company severence (a year's salary, in my case).

Other than that, my average job tenure is about 6 years. I think that's pretty decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,192 times
Default I have a different take on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I have been fired a few times but they never used that word. They used these words, "I am sorry but it does not appear to be a good fit, we are going to have to let you go" Everyone else is fired after a long due process (oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan, etc), EXCEPT FOR ME! It was a complete shock and I could not see any problems. It was employed at each job 1 or 1 1/2 years.

Is this common? What do you think of firing people because it is not a good fit?
I think if you KNEW there was a reason, you would not be writing this letter. I think you know it was not you. But you're not sure why.

I've been fired several times, and each time, I was put under my coworkers, and it was up to my coworkers whether I got to stay or not. Each time, I walked the line tighter and tighter, making sure I didn't ever rub anyone the wrong way, nothing could ever be misconstrued, helped out everyone, really bent over backwards. I tried to transform myself into the perfect employee. It never worked. I was sure I should be able to tweak something better in my favor....

Everytime I was put under my coworkers, who reported back to my boss whether they wanted me to stay or not, there seemed to be something in the air. I couldn't put my finger on it, but became aware that there was a competitive sense, almost as if they were angry someone new was hired and came into their fold. I never expected everyone to be best friends with me, but I remained polite and professional. It seemed that some just didn't want someone else there. I was let go with the "not a good fit" reason.

It was always a powerless situation, because if someone just didn't like me, I was done for. And bombing any new employee coming in, kept the other employees more valuable.

So remember this...

Only you know if you tried your best.
Only you know what really transpired.

And only an idiot ( and I am not calling you one) would go into a job and rub people the wrong way, or do something so bad....

And we all make mistakes...but I am not talking about that.

And since it is more and more common, these firings without any cause or reason, they are not giving you the chance to correct a mistake or learn differently. It is saying, "We don't want you, and we don't care what you did or didn't do", it is not allowing for mistakes.

A step further...people have become so narcissistic, that they appoint themselves judge and jury over another person. Someone quiet is deemed not confident. Someone over friendly is judged as annoying.

When, in reality, these people doing the judging are with faults.

So, do what I do...imagine them broiling over a nice hot BBQ, tended to by Beelzebub himself, and you do the basting, and move on. Because these people are small little people, who would fire Stephen Hawking for not speaking right, or Albert Einstein for his hairdo.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
on attitude. what makes you look kinda sexy on the hood, a lil attitude.
will put you out the door in a jiffy on the job.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,192 times
Well that can be the truth, but I have seen some of the worst attitudes on people, who know they are set in cement somewhere because they have been there a long time or are well connected. They say or do anything they want. I have seen some of those kind leave the building and not punch out. I told this to HR when they let me go, but they did not believe me. You see, they were so fooled by those other ones, who put on one face for them, and did other things behind their backs. I was just a disgruntled employee because I got let go.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,321 times
I was "let go" from my job I was at for 2.75 years. The claim was absurd "poor work quality and failure to follow policies and procedures". In reality, I was a hard worker, and was a human map where I new my town very well without actually looking at a map. The owner decided to pull an absurd reason on me when in reality, my manager thought I did a good job as well. But what can I say? I worked for a family owned and operated company. I have learned NOT to work for these kind of businesses unless I am a friend or a family member of the owner of the company.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
I had only worked for the company for a month or two. But the district manager got wind that I was looking into getting back into the Navy...and he came in, on a day I was there working, had the locks changed, and asked me to leave. Didn't ask me for my key back, and he said he'd manage the store until the closing manager got there. Because I was THINKING about rejoining.

Even though I had several months before I'd have to leave (up to a year?), even though I hadn't been "approved" yet, even though I could train my replacement...

I wouldn't even have minded a status change...instead of management, just becoming a rank and file employee (What difference is it being in management if 90% of what you do is the same as anyone else?). But I wasn't given that option, and my age waiver didn't go through.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM

129 posts, read 444,547 times
Quote:
I have been fired a few times but they never used that word. They used these words, "I am sorry but it does not appear to be a good fit, we are going to have to let you go" Everyone else is fired after a long due process (oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan, etc), EXCEPT FOR ME! It was a complete shock and I could not see any problems. It was employed at each job 1 or 1 1/2 years.

Is this common? What do you think of firing people because it is not a good fit?
I may be in the minority but I believe there is something wrong and it probably is your work/personal habits getting in the way of progress. My guess is that co-workers probably did you in. Never confide in or trust anyone you will never truly know.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,261 times
thats tough. sorry it happened.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
Quote:

Can you tell us more about yourself and post a picture of yourself so we can gauge your professional appearance in "work casual" clothes?

What is your occupation and degree? What kind of jobs do you usually work in?

Maybe there is something wrong or right with you? Bad people at work can setup and kill a good person... Or maybe you gotta flaw companies don't like... like maybe a crossdressing habit?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Sometimes it does mean "We don't like you." Period.
I do think you're doing something wrong if you haven't been screwed out of at least one job in healthcare or human service.
But "not a good fit" a few times? Dunno. Are the jobs you lose all the same job or type of jobs? Is "not a good fit" the reason each time? I'd look at the job or type of business it is, if they're similar or the same. It might actually be true.
I'm not a "good fit" to work as an RN during the day. Too blunt, too realistic, and not one of the girls in temperment or interests. In human services, too often you are judged on who you are, not how you do the job or what you do with the clients. It's why I work third shift, and why a lot of my co-workers are there at 3a, ruining their lives and health.
Best wishes. The workplace is a brutal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment