Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 AM

146 posts, read 641,470 times

Advertisements

I have been fired a few times but they never used that word. They used these words, "I am sorry but it does not appear to be a good fit, we are going to have to let you go" Everyone else is fired after a long due process (oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan, etc), EXCEPT FOR ME! It was a complete shock and I could not see any problems. It was employed at each job 1 or 1 1/2 years.

Is this common? What do you think of firing people because it is not a good fit?

Last edited by Oregon Transplant; 08-14-2008 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 AM

260 posts, read 675,672 times
I am so sorry this happened to you. How long after you started your jobs were you fired? Were there any personality clashes? I definitely would have questioned my last employer to be more specific and if he wasn't I would seek the advice of an attorney for possible employment discrimination.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Where I live it is very common. Right to Work is an interesting thing.

What concerns me is that you have been fired multiple times. Have you asked for suggestions from your supervisors about how you can avoid this situation in the future? Are you misrepresenting yourself and your knowledge/skill set when you interview? Are you good at what you do or are you just in it for the paycheck?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,289 times
That is almost exactly what happened to me. I "wasn't a good fit", it "wasn't working out" and my services were no longer required.

The only difference in my situation is that I had a pretty good idea that it was coming. When I first started the job my immediate boss was on maternity leave. Things were great for about six months and everyone loved me. Then she started back to work and we had several issues. All of a sudden I had a bad review and was gone a short time later.

I think companies should grow some balls and stop using the "you're not a good fit" excuse for everything!

Last edited by sunny AZ; 08-14-2008 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
hmmmm don't know what to say.....

Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 PM

74 posts, read 236,335 times
It's just terrible how companies do this to people. A lot of the times it's the good employees this happens too. The ones who really deserved to be FIRED are still there goofing off. I have cried many of times over stuff like this for myself and other people.

This is just how people end up homeless...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
I think it's just sort of a catchall phrase for when the situation has nothing directly to do with job performance, but they feel the need to let you go for one reason or another anyway. I know of at least two instances where it was used.
In the first case it was an employee that created a lot of problems because she kept her nose constantly in everybody else's business, in the guise of just being "friendly" or "concerned". It rubbed an awful lot of people the wrong way.
The second case was an employee that always questioned the work she was given to do, she always did the work, but still... I imagine her supervisor got sick of it pretty quick.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
I think the key to this is that you started off your thread with "I have been fired a few times". That says it all unless by fired you mean laid off or downsized.

If you really have been fired a few times then I honestly don't think it matters what reason they gave you because they were probably right. "Not a good fit" is them letting you down nicely. Plain and simple. I am sorry you were fired but according to your post, your getting used to it.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
It goes both ways though, because we as employees can quit just like that even without notice if we wish, we don't even have to tell them that it wasn't a good fit, we can just walk out the door and never return. So I don't necessarily see a big problem because it's not like the employers don't get burned either.

Regarding the OP though I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and hope you find a better job, hang in there and best of luck to you.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think it's just sort of a catchall phrase for when the situation has nothing directly to do with job performance, but they feel the need to let you go for one reason or another anyway. I know of at least two instances where it was used.
In the first case it was an employee that created a lot of problems because she kept her nose constantly in everybody else's business, in the guise of just being "friendly" or "concerned". It rubbed an awful lot of people the wrong way.
The second case was an employee that always questioned the work she was given to do, she always did the work, but still... I imagine her supervisor got sick of it pretty quick.
This is one case in which I've seen "not a good fit" used. Another was an employee with a good attitude, but who took a LONG time to learn things and required someone to explain everything to her, over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment