Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times

Advertisements

Vacation time - or now they call it paid time off.

The last 2 places I worked they gave you 5 days off after you worked there 6months, earned at a certain rate: like 1 day per month or something like that. And after 12 months, you got another 5 days. So in year 2 - you would get 2 weeks off. Plus another 5 sick days is included in your PTO. And paid holidays.

Have you ever heard of a place giving NO vacation days the first year. But gives you 5 sick days that first year.

For you full time workers: What are the vacation policies of the places you work? Holidays paid?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
The last placed I worked, my PTO (Paid Time Off) starting after my 90 Day Probation Period was done was accummulated each month, but don't remember how much per month (sorry). Also after the Probation Period, I got 5 days Sick Pay for the year, but if I had more than 2 days off sick......had to use my regular PTO for the first two days of sick. At my 1 Year Anniversary, I got a "dump" of 80 hours into my PTO pot. The company ended up changing that "dump" Policy to 40 hours and that sure didn't make some 1 Year Anniversary people happy.
Because of personal finances and only two of us, myself and the Dept. Supervisor, knowing my job, I could only take 1 week of vacation per year while the other employees in the Department took 2 weeks. But, there were times during the 4 1/2 years with the company, that I would call in sick, but wasn't.
Years ago, I was offered a great paying job, but with NO benefits.....NONE! Didn't take the job and told the Manager, "Good luck finding someone!" and left the premises.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
My job starts new employees out with a total of 15 PTO days; there is no differential between vacation and sick days. After 5 years you get 20 days. Executives start out with 20 days their first year. The PTO time is earned in increments each pay period, however, you can use it before you earn it. All planned PTO time has to be approved by your manager. I'm pleased with our benefits overall. They're very good. We work long days (10 hours), but we have to in order to remain competitive.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I have never had a job where there was any vacation time until after your 1 year anniversary. Some places offer sick time after 90 days, some after 6 months.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM

83 posts, read 387,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
My job starts new employees out with a total of 15 PTO days; there is no differential between vacation and sick days. After 5 years you get 20 days. Executives start out with 20 days their first year. The PTO time is earned in increments each pay period, however, you can use it before you earn it. All planned PTO time has to be approved by your manager. I'm pleased with our benefits overall. They're very good. We work long days (10 hours), but we have to in order to remain competitive.
15 PTO doesn't sound too bad. I rarely take sick days so this might be a bonus.

I get 10 days vaction per year but unlimited sick days. I don 't get 15 days until my 5 year and 20 at my 10 (might be 15).

Lots of places will start you out with nothing the first year or sometimes at least a week.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
My company offers 2 wks vaca during the 1st year. I happen to be in a position where I cannot be away for extended periods of time because I have no one to back me up. The only extended time off is when we have a long holiday weekend and I add a vaca day.

There is no sick time policy here. When I inquired about it, I was told some employees would throw a fit if a policy were administered. Never heard of such a thing! See who really manages things "here"?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I don't know about paid holidays but no time off for a whole year seems to be like a recipe for burnout.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
We start off with 3 weeks vacation per year, and it begins accruing from day one. Then after 5 years employment it goes up to 4 weeks per year.

On top of that we get 12 paid sick days per year, plus two personal days.

Many non-profits offer great PTO benefits to make up a little for lower salaries. My company is extra-generous. Though I still hear people complain; go figure.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
I get whatever PTO and Vacation hours I have accumulated per pay period. I can take off pretty much whenever I want, unless someone else in my dept is taking it off. I can call in sick whenever...and take half days or a 3 day weekend whenever...obviously not twice a month every month, but I took half day yesterday to study for a tough final, and will take a half day next friday and the following Monday off with no problem because I am going camping. Then in October I am taking a full week off for a cruise, and another week off in December to leave the state....it's great...but getting minimal money, no bonus and having a crappy job that allows me to take the time off...well kinda sucks. If I had an important job, they wouldn't allow this type of time off...paid or unpaid.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:44 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
From the beginning of the first full month after hire until year 4 of employement at my job a person accrues 13.33 hours a month, which is 20 days a year for Paid Time Off. We also get paid the 6 core holidays, New Year, Memorial, 4th of July, Labor, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Since I'm in a retail environment I also get paid holiday pay for the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve, but ONLY if I work those days.

Most jobs I worked at I was a waitress or bartender so their was no paid time off or holiday pay. My last job I didn't get vacation until my 1st year had passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment