Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 PM

76 posts, read 405,688 times

Advertisements

The words "respectful" and "yelling" are contradictions.

I bit of advice, as difficult as it seems to hold your tongue, you must try to exercise restraint. When lay offs come around at your company, your boss just may put you at the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Way out of line.

Polish up your resume. Frankly, if you don't get canned for this then your boss should. What I don't understand is why you have to work beneath all these people who aren't as smart as you. They make mistakes and you don't. Sounds like you should be running the company, or at least the department. What's holding you back - personality disorder? drinking? bad breath? Satanism?

note - I don't really mean that stuff, just giving you an example of "the type that will shoot from the hip and say what I think"

Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Wow, I'm really surprised you haven't been fired!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Other than problems at home or something, I wouldn't tolerate someone who works for me yelling at anyone in the office for any reason.

You are all on the same team, I think you need to try to act like it.

If you worked for me you would have been fired for this...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
its one thing to disagree, tell someone they are wrong for these reasons, but yelling in any workplace is dissrespectful no matter who is doing it. Frankly, i find i get farther when i disagree (and yes i have worked with my share of idiots too), by just calmly telling them this is why I think you are wrong. As long as you have your facts straight and know what you are talking about there is no reason to yell and I think your coworkers would respect you more for keeping your senses in a situation like that. Also, the high school comment? are you serious??

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
I've had a couple younger guys start to yell at me on the job when they thought I did something "stupid" or the wrong way. I kindly remind them that after 26 years doing what I do, there is a real reason I am in charge and they are not. If they don't like that arraignments, pack their sh... stuff and walk, My truck, my name on the side, my rules; don't like it, buy their own truck and have at it.

If they come and ask why something was done a particular way because they think another way is better, I will ALWAYS listen and have an open mind. A lot of times a different way of looking at something offers up an easier solution. Plus that is the type of person you can trust to do things to the best of their ability and ask if they are not sure. I know enough to be sure I don't know it all, but one thing I do know for sure; yelling is disrespectful and a quick way to the unemployment line in my work place if it persists.

You were out of line, plain and simple. There are much better ways of handling that minor problem.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
At least the OP didn't call those weirdos any names....I've done that and laughed about it later.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
yes, not professional at all. the way to deal with this, if you have true documentation that shows you are right, is to speak to the superior about it with the proof. this shows you are truly interested in being an effiecient worker. what you did shows that you are just acting out and just trying to make someone look or feel dum in front of a group.

it is always better to handle things one on one, and with documentation. if you had the proof, there was no reason for all that other high school stuff. not professional, not cool. pretty immature in fact.

its a lesson learned tho. grow from this. sometimes things like this need to happen in order for people to learn how to interact in a work environment.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Best thing is to get people on the side and deal one on one. Never say anything important in front of a group of people.
In the past, I have usually operated that way with most bosses. In fact I have usually had decent bosses. But this boss always discusses our individual business out in front of the whole group. He has, more than once, called employees liars, incompetent and said other things to the groups as a whole. We had one guy that was bit by a poisonous spider on the job and he was off for 4 days (plus a weekend) and this boss would come in and berate him with comments like "I think he is a liar and he got bit at home" and things like that. And then he always follows that up with a threat like "if you get so much as a scratch and don't call me, it is an unreported injury and you have been instructed to report all injuries or face disciplinary action".
He is the one who brought this report out to the team and specifically called me and one other employee out for it in front of everybody else.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I weould bet youyr booes think of you as a as. Ypour feloow empliyees think of you has a pot stirrer.
Some of them stir the pot more than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment