Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Some words from a major company who just released some employees today ( I'll refrain from outing the company):

“Like any company with operations and offices around the globe, and especially one with more than 200 brands and labels operating in more than 100 countries, we continually review all aspects of our operations, processes and efficiencies,”

Just as these companies are continually reviewing aspects of their operations, it's not a bad idea for employees to keep this in mind when determining how much 'loyalty' you think these mega-corporations deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
At my last job, we were told during the training classes that the company had the capability of monitoring our Internet usage, to the point that the IT Security department can take a picture of your computer screen and send it to your supervisor. But, in spite of that warning, I knew several people who used the company computers to get online for personal reasons. As far as I know, they never got in trouble for it.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
No-one should ever enter a corporate job with any notion than you're more than a means to an end, a tool to generate company profit, and that you're immediately replaceable the moment they find a way to automate what you do( some positions require human touch, but believe me companies are always looking at ways to see if what you do can be done cheaper). Sooo....make your time, do your work to the best of your ability, put on a fake smile, and do the 'pretend' team-player schtick.. And most importantly, always be on the lookout for other opportunities, because rest assured your fake-nice employers are doing the same.
Very true.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Thank You, I already had a new mindset and this post just changed the rest of my life,
If only......

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
We can surf the net at work, but we do so with the knowledge that our usage can be monitored at any time. The expectation is that using the net is fine (we also need it for some job tasks) as long as nothing illegal is being done and all other work responsibilities are taken care of in a timely manner.
This is very much the attitude I'm looking for when I hire people.

It's a very tough industry where I am in. I have employees who work remotely abroad. I had to use a monitoring tool to be able to know what they are doing on the computer.

I allow them to do occasional surfing. After all, they need that. They just have to know that they are still being monitored and they should not abuse it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I don't know why so many people get in trouble with internet usage at work. If it's questionable just do it at home. I just assume my employer can see everything I do on the internet. I never check my personal email, banking, anything I want to keep confidential, or content that may be considered questionable. I occasionally go to forums like city-data but I don't think I'll get in trouble for that.

As far as usage, when you're new the best advice is to observe your coworkers usage. Above all make sure you get your job done. That's what you're there for anyway.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 AM

379 posts, read 813,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I never saw so many people not surfing the web.
for some reason that's a funny sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I know I will be dying for some internet time soon.
I always assumed employers monitored internet use. But what if an employee has 2 tabs open on the internet. 1 for the bookie and for the company email. Will the employer know if you're on the web with the bookie or the company email?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
I heard on the radio here in DC that you are something like 10% more productive when you're allowed to surf the internet during the day. Instead of filling you mind with things you need to get done/worrying, why not just let employees go to their bank account online if they need to transfer money? Maybe you forgot to pay a bill online and today is the due date, what's wrong with letting employees log on for 3 minutes to pay their bills?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM

17 posts, read 28,685 times
True, I have to agree with WannabeCPA.
The main reason why companies install this kinda software anyway is because of those employees that waste their work hours surfing the internet for non-work related stuff. If you're doing the job you're paid to do, then I don't think using this kinda software is a big deal..
Technology nowadays makes everything in life easier. And by using this, monitoring the staff's productivity is gonna be a walk in the park. The HR would know how much time they've spent on a certain task and he could see what areas that need improvements. So, at the same time, his staff will also boost their productivity. He should just make sure to use a tool that accurately tracks time.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Everything is watched and monitored where I work. In addition to screenshots being taken every 2 minutes and uploaded to the server for the boss to watch we also have webcams pointed at our desks and other strategic places (break room, pointed at the bathroom etc) that my boss can access at anytime complete with audio. He also monitors the wifi and looks through the IP logs to make sure were not goofing off.

He recently told us we should drink less fluids because we're taking too many bathroom breaks throughout the day. We're not allowed to use the computers for anything but work related stuff even during breaks and lunch. I recently got reprimanded for browsing some industry blogs online while clocked out for lunch. When I told him that they were helping me keep up with what's going on in our industry he told me to do that on my own time.

I temporarily brought my personal laptop in a few weeks ago because I'm in the middle of a HUGE project and having a 'mobile workstation' helped increase my productivity by leaps and bounds. I do inventory and i recently renamed all of my locations so I have to re enter hundreds of parts with their updated locations which means I have to write them down, then enter them. It takes FOREVER. When I bring my laptop I can skip the writing part and enter them directly.

The day I brought it in my boss rewrote a part of the employee manual to ban personal electronics. I'm still working on that project and it's been almost 2 months. I could have been done at least a month ago.

My boss is kind of crazy.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Everything is watched and monitored where I work. In addition to screenshots being taken every 2 minutes and uploaded to the server for the boss to watch we also have webcams pointed at our desks and other strategic places (break room, pointed at the bathroom etc) that my boss can access at anytime complete with audio. He also monitors the wifi and looks through the IP logs to make sure were not goofing off.

He recently told us we should drink less fluids because we're taking too many bathroom breaks throughout the day. We're not allowed to use the computers for anything but work related stuff even during breaks and lunch. I recently got reprimanded for browsing some industry blogs online while clocked out for lunch. When I told him that they were helping me keep up with what's going on in our industry he told me to do that on my own time.

I temporarily brought my personal laptop in a few weeks ago because I'm in the middle of a HUGE project and having a 'mobile workstation' helped increase my productivity by leaps and bounds. I do inventory and i recently renamed all of my locations so I have to re enter hundreds of parts with their updated locations which means I have to write them down, then enter them. It takes FOREVER. When I bring my laptop I can skip the writing part and enter them directly.

The day I brought it in my boss rewrote a part of the employee manual to ban personal electronics. I'm still working on that project and it's been almost 2 months. I could have been done at least a month ago.

My boss is kind of crazy.
I'd be looking for another job pretty quickly. Monitoring internet usage is one thing, but I have no desire to work for a control freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment