U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,137,367 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yes, good idea. Maybe, as a a business owner, I should write a different employee handbook for EACH employee so there is no "one size fits all" feeling at work...

This has nothing to do with being suspicious of employees, but expecting consistent work from them.

This is not a sign of insecure management but indicative of constistent management. If you have ever taken any professional leadership development courses, this theory would be self evident.

But that isn't what I meant...I mean rules are made up according to what the worst employees have done.

There isn't trust about the majority of the employees. If one steals, lies, etc., the rules are written to protect the company from that and it penalizes the good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,137,367 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As a business owner, I do more than you can imagine so spare me your implications that I would not file the charts or do such "menial" tasks.

Some people are just meant to be followers and not leaders. If an employee is not SELF DRIVENenough to get off their behinds and find something productive after a specific task is finished then they can expect to stay put in their postition.

The term "work" is the imperative term here...not "recess".

Usually a job is defined, so if someone finishes their work, you are saying they HAVEN'T finished their work, because there is always something that needs to be done...so it can't be both of those things. Either someone always has work to do, or....they have finished their work. Now, if you tell them, "When you have absolutely no more work to do, I'd like you to straighten up the files, or you can just take a break" then it is defined. But it cannot be BOTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 16,644,820 times
Reputation: 7234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Usually a job is defined, so if someone finishes their work, you are saying they HAVEN'T finished their work, because there is always something that needs to be done...so it can't be both of those things. Either someone always has work to do, or....they have finished their work. Now, if you tell them, "When you have absolutely no more work to do, I'd like you to straighten up the files, or you can just take a break" then it is defined. But it cannot be BOTH.
There is always work to be done...even in the tightest job descriptions. And, in a personally owned business, we have no reservations helping co workers out with their tasks once our "designated" tasks are complete. It is run much like a family.

It works for us. We have very little turnover at our office and we are very loyal to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 16,644,820 times
Reputation: 7234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But that isn't what I meant...I mean rules are made up according to what the worst employees have done.

There isn't trust about the majority of the employees. If one steals, lies, etc., the rules are written to protect the company from that and it penalizes the good people.
I am sorry I misread and misinterpreted your post. You are right...rules are usually made because an incident triggered the need. This is unfortunate for everyone. Most of our rules at work were written from past experience in the workplace and with the advice of an attorney. We were proactive i nour approach with the handbook and put policy into effect before the need arose. Eleanor Roosevelt said "Learn from others mistakes...life is too short to make them all yourself."

Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Daphne, AL
148 posts, read 323,298 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
And what is wrong with completing your tasks, starting ANOTHER task and and having free time when someone isn't paying you to work???
Because if I am paid to do XYZ and XYZ is done, why am I obligated to take on other tasks? If I do exactly what my job responsibilities define, then how is it wrong?

If you want to look at it from the opposite point of you, think of this....You say that people playing on the internet are "stealing" company time. Well if your job is complete and they request you to do someone else's job, then technically aren't they getting more than they paid for? I am in a situation where my department is short staffed. I am now having to make up the amount of work for the 3 other people that we should have. I am promised that help will be on the way but it isn't. Am I getting compensated extra for it? No way. It's cutting into my personal life and it will have to stop soon. Because I busted my tail and worked harder, I got punished with additional work and higher expectations. Technically, I could have dragged around and not let anyone know I was finished with my tasks early, but I don't play the "look busy" game. Now I am paying for it.

Am I moving up in the ranks? Nope. Just more of this back-stabbing corporate America. Boy was I painted a different picture in college of how things work. Corporate America is just adult kindergarten. I see many blue collar workers that go to work and come home happy. They don't deal with office politics.

It would be different if you were respected, rewarded well, etc. Today's society acts like it's expected that if you do your job, you're supposed to do more and get nothing in return. I would gladly bust my tail if I could reap the rewards. I would love to work in a family business because I would respect the people I worked for and would enjoy building a successful company and sharing in the rewards if it prospers. Why do you think so many Americans are unhappy at work. Are all American's lazy? No, they're just tired of being treated like 5 year olds. If you have to monitor someone that closely, get rid of them. We're adults. Do your job and go home. People need to grow up.

At this point, I've realized that walking around in the ivory tower with a BlackBerry, deadlines, etc. is just all about clout. I used to think that was cool, but I've learned there is more to life than work. I know there are plenty that live to work and burn the midnight oil on a regular basis, but what kind of quality of life do you have? How many of you that are workaholics have family problems...or even ended up divorced because of not spending more time at home? OR maybe you spend spend spend to have the good life, now you're forced to be a corporate slave to finance your luxurious lifestyle because you didn't plan ahead or learn to budget money. I mean, if you want that-good for you-go for it.

If I am going to work 12-14 hour days, I will own my own business. At least I'll reap what I sow. Until you own your own business, you'll never make the kind of money you should working for someone else. I say learn a skill, develop it, and go out on your own because nobody else is going to care about you---you have to take care of yourself. Why sell your soul away to "office space" life. Then you're 60 years old and look back and say "what the hell happened to my life---kids are grown and I missed out because I worked so much". No thanks.

Face it, corporate America abuses employees. It's not about playing on the internet or doing stupid little things. Don't try to find success at a company, find it within yourself and do something that will make you happy. You don't have to put up with the micromanaging tactics. Life is too short--enjoy it; don't throw it away at the office.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 08-26-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine
9,258 posts, read 11,467,484 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, checking your email a few times a day is not a big deal. I do it to keep in touch w/my husband. I need the phone free for work related calls.

Why do you keep in touch with your husband? Is he sick or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,137,367 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am sorry I misread and misinterpreted your post. You are right...rules are usually made because an incident triggered the need. This is unfortunate for everyone. Most of our rules at work were written from past experience in the workplace and with the advice of an attorney. We were proactive i nour approach with the handbook and put policy into effect before the need arose. Eleanor Roosevelt said "Learn from others mistakes...life is too short to make them all yourself."

Thanks for your post.

And you, yours...you sound like a good boss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,137,367 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Why do you keep in touch with your husband? Is he sick or something?

I didn't even call my kids from work that much when they were younger and I was working as a single mom. I had my phone on vibrate, like a pager, so if they called, it was for something important. I didn't want to misuse the ability to call if I needed to.

I did work one place, and I got a call from my kid's school, and my supervisor told me no way was I allowed to return the call or make calls from work. I waited till lunch and went outside and called. She was a soul-less person, very unhappy, hard to please and the whole place was afraid of her.

I wondered how she would feel if she denied someone calls like that, and someone's child was hurt or ill.

I am not advocating using the phone at work for just personal chats. But everyone, parents, singles, whoever, needs to be able to be reached somehow. Work isn't prison...or is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,137,367 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Because if I am paid to do XYZ and XYZ is done, why am I obligated to take on other tasks? If I do exactly what my job responsibilities define, then how is it wrong?

If you want to look at it from the opposite point of you, think of this....You say that people playing on the internet are "stealing" company time. Well if your job is complete and they request you to do someone else's job, then technically aren't they getting more than they paid for? I am in a situation where my department is short staffed. I am now having to make up the amount of work for the 3 other people that we should have. I am promised that help will be on the way but it isn't. Am I getting compensated extra for it? No way. It's cutting into my personal life and it will have to stop soon. Because I busted my tail and worked harder, I got punished with additional work and higher expectations. Technically, I could have dragged around and not let anyone know I was finished with my tasks early, but I don't play the "look busy" game. Now I am paying for it.

Am I moving up in the ranks? Nope. Just more of this back-stabbing corporate America. Boy was I painted a different picture in college of how things work. Corporate America is just adult kindergarten. I see many blue collar workers that go to work and come home happy. They don't deal with office politics.

It would be different if you were respected, rewarded well, etc. Today's society acts like it's expected that if you do your job, you're supposed to do more and get nothing in return. I would gladly bust my tail if I could reap the rewards. I would love to work in a family business because I would respect the people I worked for and would enjoy building a successful company and sharing in the rewards if it prospers. Why do you think so many Americans are unhappy at work. Are all American's lazy? No, they're just tired of being treated like 5 year olds. If you have to monitor someone that closely, get rid of them. We're adults. Do your job and go home. People need to grow up.

At this point, I've realized that walking around in the ivory tower with a BlackBerry, deadlines, etc. is just all about clout. I used to think that was cool, but I've learned there is more to life than work. I know there are plenty that live to work and burn the midnight oil on a regular basis, but what kind of quality of life do you have? How many of you that are workaholics have family problems...or even ended up divorced because of not spending more time at home? OR maybe you spend spend spend to have the good life, now you're forced to be a corporate slave to finance your luxurious lifestyle because you didn't plan ahead or learn to budget money. I mean, if you want that-good for you-go for it.

If I am going to work 12-14 hour days, I will own my own business. At least I'll reap what I sow. Until you own your own business, you'll never make the kind of money you should working for someone else. I say learn a skill, develop it, and go out on your own because nobody else is going to care about you---you have to take care of yourself. Why sell your soul away to "office space" life. Then you're 60 years old and look back and say "what the hell happened to my life---kids are grown and I missed out because I worked so much". No thanks.

Face it, corporate America abuses employees. It's not about playing on the internet or doing stupid little things. Don't try to find success at a company, find it within yourself and do something that will make you happy. You don't have to put up with the micromanaging tactics. Life is too short--enjoy it; don't throw it away at the office.

Well said...totally agree...and may I add...corporate America is greedy, and it is called success, ambition, entrepreurship...but it is not those things anymore.
More and more people are stressed out, what a life.
People left the farms to move to the sophisticated big cities. Now they are running for their lives back to the farms for sanity and fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 AM
 
266 posts, read 709,493 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Because if I am paid to do XYZ and XYZ is done, why am I obligated to take on other tasks? If I do exactly what my job responsibilities define, then how is it wrong?

If you want to look at it from the opposite point of you, think of this....You say that people playing on the internet are "stealing" company time. Well if your job is complete and they request you to do someone else's job, then technically aren't they getting more than they paid for? I am in a situation where my department is short staffed. I am now having to make up the amount of work for the 3 other people that we should have. I am promised that help will be on the way but it isn't. Am I getting compensated extra for it? No way. It's cutting into my personal life and it will have to stop soon. Because I busted my tail and worked harder, I got punished with additional work and higher expectations. Technically, I could have dragged around and not let anyone know I was finished with my tasks early, but I don't play the "look busy" game. Now I am paying for it.

Am I moving up in the ranks? Nope. Just more of this back-stabbing corporate America. Boy was I painted a different picture in college of how things work. Corporate America is just adult kindergarten. I see many blue collar workers that go to work and come home happy. They don't deal with office politics.

It would be different if you were respected, rewarded well, etc. Today's society acts like it's expected that if you do your job, you're supposed to do more and get nothing in return. I would gladly bust my tail if I could reap the rewards. I would love to work in a family business because I would respect the people I worked for and would enjoy building a successful company and sharing in the rewards if it prospers. Why do you think so many Americans are unhappy at work. Are all American's lazy? No, they're just tired of being treated like 5 year olds. If you have to monitor someone that closely, get rid of them. We're adults. Do your job and go home. People need to grow up.
I couldn't agree more. It is not about being lazy - it's about setting boundaries. Because they will take and take until there is nothing left.

(MrStewart- It doesn't sound like you run your business this way, but you are in the minority!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top