Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,351 times

Advertisements

Its not a relationship, its a job....
And they pay you for a skill that you contribute for their bottom line...
So its not like they are giving you anything....

Dont get hung up on guilt.
Be professional
Give notice
Move on.

2 cent advise

Dont stay with a job because of guilt, then you become bitter and unproductive....no good for anybody.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBoo76 View Post
Tomorrow will make two weeks at a new job where they really took a chance hiring me (they had concerns about my "Unstable" work history) and have been really nice to me. Two days ago I got a much better offer from a company I'd interviewed with previously. I'm leaning toward quitting but I feel so guilty. Any advice?
You should feel terrible. You have an unstable work history and the streak lives on. It's the employers fault for taking the chance though not yours and it's not your job to make them happy....unless you actually plan on staying there and doing the work.

As a side note, I bet you do a lot of shopping in the checkout line don't you?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,078 times
There will always be a greener looking job. You can quit but it will just make you more unemployable. No employer wants to waste time interviewing, hiring and training a candidate.

What are you going to do when the job market gets bad or when you face age discrimination? It's like suntanning. You may be sorry in years to come.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM

83 posts, read 387,614 times
Quote:
Tomorrow will make two weeks at a new job where they really took a chance hiring me (they had concerns about my "Unstable" work history) and have been really nice to me. Two days ago I got a much better offer from a company I'd interviewed with previously. I'm leaning toward quitting but I feel so guilty. Any advice?
Better offer as in more money, better benefits, better fit etc? I would be hesitant if it was only money.

If it was the type of work I would be doing that was better then I would not hesitate to quit (as long as it is not a major pay cut). Or if the medical was great and I was going to start a family.

Of course I have quit jobs where I loved the work just had a horrible salary. And I have quit and gone elsewhere for the same money because I hated the work

Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Always look out for #1 but don't burn any bridges.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Would they hesitate to fire you if they found a better candidate? These things happen in business every day. I'm a little concerned about your "unstable work history". is this just more of the same? Are you sure you aren't just one of those "the grass is always greener.." guys who will always be looking to the next thing, regardless?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
No need to feel bad at all, do what's best for you and your life. If they had to what's best for their company and it involved getting rid of you they would do it whether they felt bad or not, that's just how it goes. Just give them notice and thank them of course for the opportunity.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 24,988 times
Default Here's the deal...

My situation is this--I used to have a high-powered corporate career, but the industry I was in experienced a lot of mergers, company closings, and layoffs. So I kept relocating to take a new job, only to have the company close or merge and lay me off. After the last layoff, I relocated to a new city to be close to a man I was in a long-distance relationship with and try to find a job in a new field there. I found it hard to break in, so I did a lot of temp work. My savings was dwindling and I was also laid off from my last two low-level office jobs because of staff cuts. During the long period of job-hunting that followed I became desperate and started to look for work in my previous field and also locally. The job I just started is local, and low-level office work. The job I am considering quitting for is in my old field, pays twice as much, and offers full benefits my current job does not. I would have to relocate for the new position, and the relationship I mentioned is over.

Last edited by JillyBoo76; 08-22-2008 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 01:43 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
My situation is this--I used to have a high-powered corporate career, but the industry I was in experienced a lot of mergers, company closings, and layoffs. So I kept relocating to take a new job, only to have the company close or merge and lay me off. After the last layoff, I relocated to a new city to be close to a man I was in a long-distance relationship with and try to find a job in a new field there..
If you did all this relocating with the same company, show it on your resume consistently with that ONE company. For example,
ABC Company 2001-2007
Manager
Quote:
I found it hard to break in, so I did a lot of temp work. My savings was dwindling and I was also laid off from my last two low-level office jobs because of staff cuts. During the long period of job-hunting that followed I became desperate and started to look for work in my previous field and also locally. The job I just started is local, and low-level office work. ..
Again, if you did all your different temp jobs with ONE temp company just mention that ONE temp agency on your resume. For example,
XYZ Temporary Agency 2007-2008
Administrative

Quote:
The job I am considering quitting for is in my old field, pays twice as much, and offers full benefits my current job does not. I would have to relocate for the new position, and the relationship I mentioned is over.
Unfortunately, people come and go. You are not the first to leave them. I say try to give a 2 week notice in a written letter. You can use the above suggestions for future reference to make your work history look more stable. It sounds like the new opportunity is the way to go especially now when jobs are hard to come by. Congratulations on your new job!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
You should feel terrible. You have an unstable work history and the streak lives on. It's the employers fault for taking the chance though not yours and it's not your job to make them happy....unless you actually plan on staying there and doing the work.

As a side note, I bet you do a lot of shopping in the checkout line don't you?
Wow...harsh words. Have you never made a mistake when making a choice between two options? Or maybe you've just never been in this situation yourself. It is easy to judge others when you don't have first hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment