Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times

Advertisements

Anybody work as an auditor/front desk rep. at a hotel? Work midnights? Do you work alone or is there more than one person on the shift?

Do you lock the lobby or keep the doors open? Have you ever felt/been threatened? Are you male or female?

I'm just curious as to how other night auditors feel about safety concerns on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM

266 posts, read 1,108,270 times
There is usually a skeleton crew - about 10 people. We locked the side entrances to the hotel, but the main door stayed open. There weren't too many safety concerns, but the hotel was in the ritzy part of town.

The was a lot of goofing around and stuff. You would be surprised what goes on in a hotel at night with the staff!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,605 times
I worked alone. Second shift was gone by 11:30pm and the bar was usually closed and the staff gone by 12:30am. The front and side doors were always open and usually the houseman "forgot" to lock the outside door leading to the ballroom and elevators. Most nights I was concerned especially after I was robbed. Whoever did it waited until I had to leave the desk and took the cash from the cash drawer. The lock on the drawer had been broken for months and the lock on the door leading to the area behind the desk didn't work.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM

Sunny AZ-10 people! Wow!

I work alone-11:00p.m-7:00 a.m. I get concerned because I'm a female and have had some pretty creepy guys hanging around. There have been concerns lately because last week there were reports of a guy walking through area hotels (Ann Arbor, MI/University of MI district-which is a fairly safe area) in a ski mask scoping the lobbies out. My managers have told me that I can now lock the lobby up at night and deal with people through the little night window. I still get nervous, especially if I have to leave for any reason.

Why do I stay? Money's good, and jobs (especially full-time jobs that pay above minimum wage) are hard to come by in this state. Plus, I can do my home work here.

Another question: how do you deal with noise complaints? Do you feel nervous walking up to the rooms telling peole to quiet it down? How do you handle groups of drunk rowdy guys?

Big concerns of mine with FOOTBALL season coming up!

Thanks for your input...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Sunny AZ-10 people! Wow!

I work alone-11:00p.m-7:00 a.m. I get concerned because I'm a female and have had some pretty creepy guys hanging around. There have been concerns lately because last week there were reports of a guy walking through area hotels (Ann Arbor, MI/University of MI district-which is a fairly safe area) in a ski mask scoping the lobbies out. My managers have told me that I can now lock the lobby up at night and deal with people through the little night window. I still get nervous, especially if I have to leave for any reason.

Why do I stay? Money's good, and jobs (especially full-time jobs that pay above minimum wage) are hard to come by in this state. Plus, I can do my home work here.

Another question: how do you deal with noise complaints? Do you feel nervous walking up to the rooms telling peole to quiet it down? How do you handle groups of drunk rowdy guys?

Big concerns of mine with FOOTBALL season coming up!

Thanks for your input...
As far as noisy rooms go, call the room first and ask them to quiet down. The next time, call and tell them one more complaint and they'll be evicted, third time call the police. As a guy I never had to worry about noisy groups, I just spoke louder than them. Ask your GM if he/she will contact the local police department and ask that they patrol the area and property more often. The police will respond to any ligitimate complaint in a reasonable amount of time. I've worked in the hotel/resort business for 9 years and at some pretty seedy hotels. I'm now trying to find something in a different field because I'm burned out.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,063 times
I worked at two properties by myself when I was an associate.

I am now a front desk manager and our night audit clerk works by his/herself. However, on most days we have an overnight housekeeping manager, a staff of about 10 night cleaners, an engineer and at least two security guards. Sometimes we have more staff and a security manager (usually on a Friday when our bar is open late).

Because we have security 24/7, safety is not really a huge issue. Regardless, because it is Hawaii, the property is all open air and people just roam around as they please- which makes me a little nervous!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:47 AM

For the first time in a long time I have a long holiday week-end off. I never minded the "normal" or regulars but the trouble makers and people "under the influence" always got the best of me. I'm in the process of looking for a different career field.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 AM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times
I have a friend in Omaha who worked as a night auditor for a motel in that town. He told me that one night he was robbed at gunpoint, which, understandably, got him all shook up. After that incident, I believe he said that the front lobby doors were locked and anyone wanting to come in would have to speak to him via an intercom system. If he felt the person(s) were legitimate, he would buzz them in. Needless to say, my friend changed careers after that incident!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I have a friend in Omaha who worked as a night auditor for a motel in that town. He told me that one night he was robbed at gunpoint, which, understandably, got him all shook up. After that incident, I believe he said that the front lobby doors were locked and anyone wanting to come in would have to speak to him via an intercom system. If he felt the person(s) were legitimate, he would buzz them in. Needless to say, my friend changed careers after that incident!
Being robbed at work is NOT a good feeling especially when upper management just shrugs it off.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Yeah, that's what I've been doing now, per management. Locking the lobby doors, and dealing with customers through a little glass window. I can let them in if I want. It makes me feel a little safer (although you still never do know what someone's intentions are!) Dangerous times we live in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment