Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times

Advertisements

I have been offerred a private sector job that may have alot of opportunity for growth and promotion, but am also being considered for a State job for a similar rate of pay but with much better benefits. The private job is already mine, so taking it is a no brainer, but when it's time to interview for the State job, if I get offered the position, how will I choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
I'm a f/t college student (non-trad). I'm working p/t as an intern at the Bureau of Land Management (Dept of the Interior). I decided that I really would like a gov't job when I graduate, either at the BLM or some other agency. With my BS in geology (May 2009) I could get a high-paying job in the private sector as oil & gas is booming here right now.

I really like the work atmosphere and the type of people at the BLM. It's quite relaxed, not the profit profit profit attitude. My bf worked for the county here for a while and he said the atmosphere there was similiar.

I'll take lower pay for more long-term job security and the great benefits.

It may take me a while to really get my foot in the door at the BLM, but I'll keep at it until it happens, even if I have to take a private sector job for a while.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
government job definitely.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM

134 posts, read 525,530 times
it will take months to get your govt job with all the paperwork you have to go through esp if you need a security clearance. take the private job for now but work towards the govt job

Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM

Ok so are the votes for the gov't job based on benefits and job security? For what it's worth the jobs are in Idaho, and State job is non-union, but I have already met "lifers" in the course of my search. Just curious for reasons for taking gov't job. Thank you!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Ok so are the votes for the gov't job based on benefits and job security? For what it's worth the jobs are in Idaho, and State job is non-union, but I have already met "lifers" in the course of my search. Just curious for reasons for taking gov't job. Thank you!
Yes, those would be the reasons. I just took a government job and I'm excited about it for the long-term job security and the awesome bennies, not to mention the regularly scheduled raises and the fact that it's a field I enjoy. But then I come from a mostly nonprofit background and dislike the private sector anyway. Too volatile. I've had three too many jobs where I've been laid off due to companies going under, being sold, or downsizing.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yes, those would be the reasons. I just took a government job and I'm excited about it for the long-term job security and the awesome bennies, not to mention the regularly scheduled raises and the fact that it's a field I enjoy. But then I come from a mostly nonprofit background and dislike the private sector anyway. Too volatile. I've had three too many jobs where I've been laid off due to companies going under, being sold, or downsizing.
Well, I'm with you there, I prefer service work and the agency I'm on the list for is Health and Welfare, but the position isn't the one I really want (caseworker) but it's in the same office and while at a lower rate of pay I'd probably get preference when a caseworker job opens. On the other hand I'll have to wait out the probationary period until I apply for another position, so could miss out the first time around on the position I want. The private sector job is medicare based and the company is expanding, but the benes just aren't there, although the opportunity to help expand is. Thanks for all the input!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM

121 posts, read 517,935 times
Take the state job if possible. Private sector jobs come and go quickly. A friend of mine was heavily recruited for a private sector job, quit a good job for the recruited job and was let go after six months. Once you pass the probationary period with the state job you will be secure fro a long time.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
I'd go with the state job. It offers more job security, great benefits, and cost of living raises. Unless you're in Michigan...then all bets are off!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 PM

So you would take the state job even if it paid a lower hourly....they just left me a message for an interview tomorrow, but I am working at the other job! Eek!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment