Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times

Advertisements

Man you sound like me. I am staying tuned. I would like to be a delivery driver(not lifting heavy stuff) and work alone...even if it meant other things. However, I am majoring in Economics. I might end up switching and was thinking about something that had to do with computer or IT stuff...but I don't know. So we'll see. I thought about being a leasing consultant. Meet clients and try to lease them apts...drive around and wrap up paperwork on my own hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
There are some sales jobs that you are better off not being an extrovert, especially if you get into business to business sales. Most companies now do not have the patience to deal with pushy extroverted sales reps, most would rather deal with low key sales people who act more like consultants.

Plus if you get into the right kind of outside sales you can make your own hours and make decent money. I never try to work more than 6 hours a day and I usually take most of Friday off. As long as I hit my quota, my boss does not care what I do during the week.
Details...what type of jobs are we talking about? Selling what? I am in Los Angeles and looking to make 35k+ as I only make <30k currently. Like I said I will be getting my BA in Economics so it could help, with some marketing courses as well perhaps.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Man you sound like me. I am staying tuned. I would like to be a delivery driver(not lifting heavy stuff) and work alone...even if it meant other things. However, I am majoring in Economics. I might end up switching and was thinking about something that had to do with computer or IT stuff...but I don't know. So we'll see. I thought about being a leasing consultant. Meet clients and try to lease them apts...drive around and wrap up paperwork on my own hopefully.
Economics. Eww... too much math for me! More power to you though.

If I didn't live in Texas I would consider something outdoorsy. Horticulture, Landscape design, parks & wildlife. It's too hot here though! I am uncomfortable unless it's under 75 degrees.

I don't know why, but most delivery or driver jobs (auto parts, delivering food/drinks to stores, whatever) seem to be staffed by guys, and I'm female. I don't know if that will be a negative or not in getting hired... but it's always guys doing it even when it's not heavy lifting.

I could handle being a property manager, showing apartments or rental homes, collecting rent, dealing with repair issues...I would even clean/paint and do make-ready (well, I can't do plumbing or any of that). The contact with the "public" would be brief. It seems like the fun of real estate (seeing lots of different places) without the pressure to sell, but I have no idea how to get into that field. Every prop. management job I've seen requires previous experience.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
Used to sell printing and marketing supplies for 12 years and if you can work your tail off the first year to establish clients, then a lot of your income will come from people reordering supplies. That was the fun part, go check my emails or fax machine and just have orders waiting for me. All I had to do was usually send a quick email back to thank them for their order and follow up a week later to make sure that everything was delivered. I did this part time because my wife and I split watching the kids when they were little and I made around $40,000 a year.

Just look for anything that is business to business. I knew guys that made a ton of money selling industrial light bulbs, packaging, printing, labels, industrial supplies and currently I sell software to blue collar type companies and am doing alright. Since I first posted on this thread a couple of hours ago I have made around 10 phone calls and have 2 people interested in buying my software within the next month. Each sale is worth $600-$800 to me and I did it from my house and wearing my pajamas. But to be up front, I worked my tail off for years to finally get a sales job that pays this well and gives me a lot of flexibility. Start looking around, there are some industries like printing where the average age of a sales rep is late 50's and companies are starting to hire to replace the people that are retiring.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Econ really isn't too heavy on math....so far. I'm pretty sure the only math classes I need are Statistics and a College level Algebra course. Anyways...being a female it will be next to impossible to get that delivery job.

I have been thinking about getting into landscape design too, not a gardener of course, but living in So Cal I'd be fighting all the Mexicans who can do it cheaper...and even the wealthy want cheap cheap cheap. I've plotted a course, and it ends with me getting a BA in Econ...so I don't wish to derail that train on hopes of becoming some wealthy landscaper.

As far as the leasing consultant thing goes, I've found one that requires 6 months experience minimum(oooh, so much experience) so I applied anyways because 6 months isn't much, so perhaps my strong customer service skills could help. The other one I found only wanted customer service skills. The drawback to this is they do not pay gas and you drive a lot, although you don't need to drive clients around. But the pay was $13/hr plus $50 each sign-up and $100 is you refer someone to a sister complex. Search for "leasing consultant" and you might have some luck.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Great...found some jobs already(although they require 1-3 years experience and a BA)...but I found it under "outside sales B2B"
Business To Business. Thanks micrguy

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I could handle being a property manager, showing apartments or rental homes, collecting rent, dealing with repair issues...I would even clean/paint and do make-ready (well, I can't do plumbing or any of that). The contact with the "public" would be brief. It seems like the fun of real estate (seeing lots of different places) without the pressure to sell, but I have no idea how to get into that field. Every prop. management job I've seen requires previous experience.
Check with your local community college. I've seen flyers at job fairs here advertising for apartment/property management certificate programs, like this Houston Apartment Association | HCC Property Management Program (http://www.haaonline.org/web/2007/05/hcc_property_management_program.aspx - broken link) I think I recall you live in San Antonio? Here is the link to the San Antonio Apartment Association San Antonio Apartment Association. Many of the jobs listed seem to require previous sales, customer service, or related experience. The site has an education section, too.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
Quote:
Great...found some jobs already(although they require 1-3 years experience and a BA)...but I found it under "outside sales B2B"
Business To Business. Thanks micrguy
Don't worry about what they require, for most places that is ideally what they want. Most places are just happy with someone that has some college. Good luck, when I was in my 20's I vowed that I would never get into sales because I did not have the personality for it and I had never even heard of business to business sales. Glad I changed my mind because the career path that I started on no longer exists.

My first sales job really opened my eyes to business to business sales. During the final interview I was still skeptical, I could not believe that you could make money selling business checks. The guy that hired me told me to look around his office and everything there was the result of a sales rep selling it to him at some point. There was a sales rep for the office supplies, the printing, the furniture, the copier and the list goes on. Really look around because a lot of baby boomers are retiring from sales jobs right now. The last place I worked had 3 sales reps in the last year retire and a big reason was that they did not want to learn how to use things like computers, email and other technologies. That is where someone younger has a huge advantage.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Econ really isn't too heavy on math....so far. I'm pretty sure the only math classes I need are Statistics and a College level Algebra course. Anyways...being a female it will be next to impossible to get that delivery job.

I have been thinking about getting into landscape design too, not a gardener of course, but living in So Cal I'd be fighting all the Mexicans who can do it cheaper...and even the wealthy want cheap cheap cheap. I've plotted a course, and it ends with me getting a BA in Econ...so I don't wish to derail that train on hopes of becoming some wealthy landscaper.

As far as the leasing consultant thing goes, I've found one that requires 6 months experience minimum(oooh, so much experience) so I applied anyways because 6 months isn't much, so perhaps my strong customer service skills could help. The other one I found only wanted customer service skills. The drawback to this is they do not pay gas and you drive a lot, although you don't need to drive clients around. But the pay was $13/hr plus $50 each sign-up and $100 is you refer someone to a sister complex. Search for "leasing consultant" and you might have some luck.
Thanks for the tip... and I'm surprised about the economics. I'd have figured more math? I am so bad at math, I will need to take about FOUR remedial math classes just to pass basic college Algebra when I go back to school (yet again)... I have about 3 semesters worth of credits from my local community college right now (just basics, English, Sociology, etc), still a long way from any degree (and I'm 37). :::sigh:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Check with your local community college. I've seen flyers at job fairs here advertising for apartment/property management certificate programs, like this Houston Apartment Association | HCC Property Management Program (http://www.haaonline.org/web/2007/05/hcc_property_management_program.aspx - broken link) I think I recall you live in San Antonio? Here is the link to the San Antonio Apartment Association San Antonio Apartment Association. Many of the jobs listed seem to require previous sales, customer service, or related experience. The site has an education section, too.
Yes, I'm in SA. Thanks!! I ran my own home business for years (ebay) and even did it full time for a while with no other 'real job' to back me up. That should count as sales? Certainly counts in the customer service department.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Don't worry about what they require, for most places that is ideally what they want. Most places are just happy with someone that has some college. Good luck, when I was in my 20's I vowed that I would never get into sales because I did not have the personality for it and I had never even heard of business to business sales. Glad I changed my mind because the career path that I started on no longer exists.

My first sales job really opened my eyes to business to business sales. During the final interview I was still skeptical, I could not believe that you could make money selling business checks. The guy that hired me told me to look around his office and everything there was the result of a sales rep selling it to him at some point. There was a sales rep for the office supplies, the printing, the furniture, the copier and the list goes on. Really look around because a lot of baby boomers are retiring from sales jobs right now. The last place I worked had 3 sales reps in the last year retire and a big reason was that they did not want to learn how to use things like computers, email and other technologies. That is where someone younger has a huge advantage.
You seem like an expert, can I ask a few questions

Do investment property brokers have to be introverted or extroverted?

B2B sales has got to involve lots of cold-calling, and fishing right?

Doesnt that require that you be extroverted to do those things?

I have been thinking about getting in full-time sales myself, and am having the same doubts you had about yourself in the beginning

to the OP:

If you own a house maybe you could get a lone for your own rental building, and then manage it yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment