U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-04-2008, 11:02 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,047,243 times
Default I want to work alone. OR make good money, part time. I can't think of careers?

Seriously, I like to work alone, do my thing, be left alone, just me and my work and maybe an MP3 player, so I am trying to think of jobs that would allow that.

If I MUST be cooped up with other people and deal with office BS, I'd really like to find something that pays well enough that when I choose, I can work part time only and still make good money.

So I have thought about dental hygiene for the part time options... but ugh. The schooling is intense here and my city does NOT have a 2 year degree program for dental hygiene (although many/most cities DO).... so I'm not sure about that.

I don't want to drive a big truck or be gone all the time, so no truck driving please. I could drive otherwise though, locally.

I would love to hear from those of you lucky enough to work in solitude. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-05-2008, 04:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,281,743 times
What about doing medical transcription at home? Occasionally I see ads for places like an auto parts store that need delivery drivers. Our rural mail carriers also drive alone.
If I think of more, I'll chime in.

Unread 09-05-2008, 05:39 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,005,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Seriously, I like to work alone, do my thing, be left alone, just me and my work and maybe an MP3 player, so I am trying to think of jobs that would allow that.

If I MUST be cooped up with other people and deal with office BS, I'd really like to find something that pays well enough that when I choose, I can work part time only and still make good money.

So I have thought about dental hygiene for the part time options... but ugh. The schooling is intense here and my city does NOT have a 2 year degree program for dental hygiene (although many/most cities DO).... so I'm not sure about that.

I don't want to drive a big truck or be gone all the time, so no truck driving please. I could drive otherwise though, locally.

I would love to hear from those of you lucky enough to work in solitude. What do you do?
I work a lot on my own from home although there is some meeting of new clients. I deal with my employees, who are independent contractors over the phone and meet them occasionally. I never was one to apply for jobs that mentioned "must be a team" player .

Unread 09-05-2008, 06:19 AM

9,737 posts, read 6,545,077 times
get into IT. I work in an office for a corporation, but as a programmer and analyst I sit in front of a computer by myself 90% of my time. I am really not the most social person, so it works great for me.

It is getting a little more competitive, but many technology companies will pay for your school. I have a BS already, but my company pays 90% of tuition and books for undergrad and master's degrees.

That is one of the great things about working for a giant corporation.

Unread 09-05-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
get into IT. I work in an office for a corporation, but as a programmer and analyst I sit in front of a computer by myself 90% of my time. I am really not the most social person, so it works great for me.

It is getting a little more competitive, but many technology companies will pay for your school. I have a BS already, but my company pays 90% of tuition and books for undergrad and master's degrees.

That is one of the great things about working for a giant corporation.
I have been considering that. I'd like to get into something having to do with Web Design, content editing, etc., but I am always hearing the about those types of jobs being outsourced? I'm also clueless on how hard it is, school and learning "all that". I did teach myself basic HTML in the late 90's in order to do simple websites and I found it very similar to learning WordPerfect in the early 90's. It wasn't too hard for me, but I have no idea if other avenues would be do-able. I'm a detail oriented person, and I learn quickly, but I don't have a 'math oriented mind'. I'm much more of a words/language/creative type. Is there a ton of math in most IT career paths?

Raggy dee Ann: so what exactly do you do and do you have a particular educational background?

sirron:

I don't know if it's true but I've heard for years that medical transcriptionists have to work with doctors for along time before they can do it from home and from what I've read, at least around here, it doesn't pay much more than I am already capable of making (which is not enough)... I'm hoping to make at least 25 to 30k a year when I figure out what I'm going to do. Not to say that I wouldn't take the auto parts driver job paying less, in order to work alone, but I'd have to get some schooling for medical transcription and I'd rather go to school for something else if that makes sense.

I have thought being a mail carrier might not be too bad.. it seems hard to get hired though?

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 09-05-2008 at 08:11 AM..

Unread 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM

9,737 posts, read 6,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I have been considering that. I'd like to get into something having to do with Web Design, content editing, etc., but I am always hearing the about those types of jobs being outsourced? I'm also clueless on how hard it is, school and learning "all that". I did teach myself basic HTML in the late 90's in order to do simple websites and I found it very similar to learning WordPerfect in the early 90's. It wasn't too hard for me, but I have no idea if other avenues would be do-able. I'm a detail oriented person, and I learn quickly, but I don't have a 'math oriented mind'. I'm much more of a words/language/creative type. Is there a ton of math in most IT career paths?
I have a BS in Computer Information Systems, and I only took one math class in college.

It is a very detailed, logical type of thinking, but there is no math involved. I would suggest sitting in or auditing a programming or systems development class for a little.

IT jobs are being outsourced, but not the ones you would want to have. The jobs being outsourced are easy, mindless programming jobs. Anything which takes creativity or critical thinking is in very high demand. Granted, you do need more education that other fields, but it is worth it. If I want to get in to management or really progress in my career, I will need a master's degree in something. The only reason I work for the company I do is because they pay 90% of tuition for graduate school. I suggest finding someone you know, or that a friend knows who works in your ideal job (analyst, web content developer, whatever), and invite them to lunch. It only costs you $10-20 to pay for their food, and 99% of people would be more than happy to talk about what they do all day if they get some free food. Talking to someone in person who works in the field is the best way to understand what it would be like.

Unread 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM

429 posts, read 1,977,186 times
Get into some kind of outside sales, I enjoy being by myself and I found that sales is the way to do it. All I have to do is "turn it on" when I call or meet a client or prospect. So maybe 20% of my day is actually spent talking to or meeting with people. The other 80% is spent driving or in my office filling out reports and order forms. Plus I make a lot more money than most people working office jobs.

Unread 09-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Get into some kind of outside sales, I enjoy being by myself and I found that sales is the way to do it. All I have to do is "turn it on" when I call or meet a client or prospect. So maybe 20% of my day is actually spent talking to or meeting with people. The other 80% is spent driving or in my office filling out reports and order forms. Plus I make a lot more money than most people working office jobs.
Sounds great but I am not a sales type. My mom was and I always envied her that. She made good money and enjoyed herself immensely but she is very extroverted (and I am NOT). I don't think I have the "it" to turn on. I'm just not persuasive, if someone says no I'd be leaving it at that. I'm not shy, I'm just not that into people in general unless they particularly pique my interest.

Unread 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM

429 posts, read 1,977,186 times
There are some sales jobs that you are better off not being an extrovert, especially if you get into business to business sales. Most companies now do not have the patience to deal with pushy extroverted sales reps, most would rather deal with low key sales people who act more like consultants.

Plus if you get into the right kind of outside sales you can make your own hours and make decent money. I never try to work more than 6 hours a day and I usually take most of Friday off. As long as I hit my quota, my boss does not care what I do during the week.

Unread 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
There are some sales jobs that you are better off not being an extrovert, especially if you get into business to business sales. Most companies now do not have the patience to deal with pushy extroverted sales reps, most would rather deal with low key sales people who act more like consultants.

Plus if you get into the right kind of outside sales you can make your own hours and make decent money. I never try to work more than 6 hours a day and I usually take most of Friday off. As long as I hit my quota, my boss does not care what I do during the week.
Hmmm. Certainly worth consideration!! I would love to have some flexibility. I'm the type who will work insanely and off the clock if need be to get a job done as long as I'm not held to a tight schedule. I wouldn't know where to start with no previous sales experience though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment