Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which profession do you respect the LEAST
Insurance business 64 16.08%
Telemarketer 200 50.25%
Lawyer 113 28.39%
Bus driver 7 1.76%
Janitor 4 1.01%
Trash collector 4 1.01%
Maid/Housekeeper 6 1.51%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 AM

203 posts, read 927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I have a lot of respect for bus drivers. They have to put up with a lot of B.S. that most people don't have to on their jobs. In fact, here in Milwaukee, I know bus drivers that work for the county transit system that make just over 90K a year with over time. The average driver makes over 66K. The one profession that I don't have any respect for are attorneys. A lot of them are heartless jerks. I knew a guy in college that went on to become one. His reason for doing so was because, as he told me, once you get your law degree its a license to screw anybody over Just remember that most people in politics have law degrees.
Thank you, for the bus driver comment........although i've never had a problem with attorneys they have beyond the call of duty for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
1) Attorneys--anyone know that quote by Shakepeare...?
2) (sorry to be offensive) Real Estate Agents (many, many are 'scum*ags). Most piggy back off honest people and 'lie' to both sides.
3) doctors...so many think they are "GOD". Big deal. You too can go to college for x years..most (not all) are money motivated. A few are stellar. Most are 'okay' at best.
4) oh yeah, used car dealers..

I don't see why maid/housekeeper is on here. Some of those people work DAMN hard for ***p money.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Of the listed, lawyers, since both sides are trying to make their lies more believable than the other guy's.

But I hold a special contempt for politicians, or anyone else that wants to hold power over others.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Of the listed, lawyers, since both sides are trying to make their lies more believable than the other guy's.

But I hold a special contempt for politicians, or anyone else that wants to hold power over others.
Seems they are very similar wouldn't you say?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM

146 posts, read 566,360 times
Why on earth do you have janitors and maids on your list? What gave you the idea that what these people do is somehow below what everyone else does?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
Why on earth do you have janitors and maids on your list? What gave you the idea that what these people do is somehow below what everyone else does?
Re-read the title.....the OP didn't say this was his/her opinion.

And nobody here has said these people are beneath the other.

In everyday non PC life janitors and maids are not looked upon as important as doctor's and lawyers. But what do I know I work with cops.

Opinions were asked for not judgements.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Seems they are very similar wouldn't you say?
Not sure that lawyers really have power or authority over anyone. Judges, now...

Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
I meant the part about lawyers and both sides are trying to make their lies more believable than the other guy's,and of course who's in better with those judges

Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
I'll respond only because you mentioned bus drivers...........a huge portion of the public has no idea the extent of verbal abuse we deal with and the occasional physical assualts......i personally have been spat on numerous times. This is the only job i've ever had where the More i do my job and the more i follow the guidelines the More my life is at risk. I realize it sounds simple.......get on the bus.....pay the fare......sit down........ring the bell and then get off. NOT!! Any job where you deal with the public especially large volumes of the public you are at risk........there are a lot of mental ill people out there......diagnosised or not.........don't believe me?..........walk a mile in my shoes and you'll see! The stories i could tell! You want me to care about the little guy? to worry if he/she gets to work/school on time? How's about treating us like follow human beings?......don't worry i won't hold my breathe, Ha!
I realized that driving a bus isn't easy but those of us who depend on the buses don't have it easy either. Although I have met a few nice drivers, many of the drivers that I encountered have been rude. If you don't like your profession, change jobs! I hated my government job so I went back to school to get my degree so I could have the career I wanted. Please don't take out your frustrations and aggravations with your job out on us passengers. Have you ever been in a position where you had to rely on public transportation?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
was that MTD or RTA?"
MTA (or Metro)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment