Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:19 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times

Advertisements

the most dangerous imo is construction, NYPD/LAPD, or correctional officer

the worst would be fast food/retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 AM

691 posts, read 2,328,478 times
Most dangerous and worst job ever: Clerk at gas station. They get robbed, don't have a gun, don't get health insurance, and make scut wages. And have to work hard, sometimes swing shift, split shifts, rotating shifts. Have to re-stock cooler after a long shift. I did this job for one summer, and it motivated me to get straight A's in college, and go to graduate school. I was drifting prior to that job. Best experience of my life, and the worst.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Most dangerous is probably coal miner or deep sea fisherman.

Worst--elementary school teacher. That's just my personal worst. I worship the fine people who have the patience to deal with that all day. The thought of being locked in a classroom with 23 seven year olds gives me heart palpatations and a migraine.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Railroads, mining, lineman, police and, believe it or not, teaching are considered the most dangerous or likely to have injuries/illnesses as a matter of course.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The worst job though has got to be being a pole dancer since its so disreputable and degrading. People who do it usually have no self respect, but I guess that's better than living off welfare.
I gotta tell ya, not all of them feel that way. While I agree that most girls dance because they have no other option except prostitution, there are some that do it because they make huge money at it.

I know a girl who dances at three of the high end gentlemens clubs here in Florida. She's very pretty, has a smoking hot body, and is smart with a capital "S". She is a great actress as well, and has a very low opinion of the majority of guys that go to strip clubs, she thinks they are ridiculously stupid when they give her $100+ tips to give a "no touch" lap dance (the clubs she works at are really, really strict). She just bought her third rental property, she lives in a paid for 3500 s/f home in a really, really nice neighborhood. She's also got an MBA and is very active in several local charities (which is how I know her).

Right now she's working four nights a week for about seven hours a night, and earns between $4000 and $10,000 a week. She's not working the pole because she has to, she's working the pole because she considers her body a commodity just like a runway model would, that earns her a huge amount of money. There's no self-esteem issues, she's laughing all the way to the bank. I say good for her!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
I think we all can agree there are very many dangerous jobs. The one that always got me was skyscraper window washer's. I've seen a few of them hanging by threads from over 10 stories high.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
When I worked for a life insurance company our underwriters assigned the occupation "circus performer" to the highest risk category. Made me think of Mary Tyler Moore's "Chuckles Bites The Dust" episode.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:08 PM

220 posts, read 991,254 times
I think in the retail world it would be people who work in check cashing. The vp of a check cashing chain found my resume off of Monster last year and I interviewed with him. They have emergency button every 10 feet in their stores, under desks, in drawers, in the bathroom, and on these clicker things you can clip on your belt. You also get a clicker remote for walking to and from your car, which will set the alarm off and call the police.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
When I worked for a life insurance company our underwriters assigned the occupation "circus performer" to the highest risk category. Made me think of Mary Tyler Moore's "Chuckles Bites The Dust" episode.

What an interesting thread! I did LOL when I got to the above post though...I do remember the Chuckles episode!

I imagine that there are far, far fewer circus performers than some of the other risky jobs mentioned here...but that they have a high accident rate _per capita. (I can just see the workmen's comp claim forms: "clawed by Siberian tiger"; "stomped by elephant"; "mid-air collision with other trapeze artist"....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment