U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 AM

3,355 posts, read 5,660,964 times
Exclamation Reporting an unethical Employer

Does anyone know where I would report an unethical employer? People are quitting and getting fired left and right. He's not paying vendor bills, paychecks are bouncing and that's just the beginning. I want to report this guy so more people don't get left in the wake of his destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM

649 posts, read 1,629,149 times
You need to deal with your own specific situation. Ex. If you aren't getting payed, contact your state's workforce commission. But making broad accusations to third parties may land you in court with a defamation lawsuit.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM

6,457 posts, read 8,166,267 times
If the employer is in healthcare, and gets any amount from Medicaid or Medicare, they can be reported to the Office of the Inspector General of the US Dept of Health & Human Services. The site is oig.gov

If you're not in healthcare, each alleged violation must be reported to the appropriate agency, by the individual who has been wronged (Dept of Labor, wage & hour, EEOC, civil rights, etc).

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 11,587 times
I work in an office located in Suffolk County, NY. I don't punch a clock but am expected to work anywhere from 9 to 5 or later. I was told that I have to be paid 1099 and will not be offered any benefits whatsoever. Others in the office that have the same position as I receive their pay W2 only and others are both w2 and 1099.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM

4,517 posts, read 8,202,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1099NOT View Post
I work in an office located in Suffolk County, NY. I don't punch a clock but am expected to work anywhere from 9 to 5 or later. I was told that I have to be paid 1099 and will not be offered any benefits whatsoever. Others in the office that have the same position as I receive their pay W2 only and others are both w2 and 1099.
There are many employers that are using similar tactics these days to avoid paying benefits.

Welcome to 2010.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM

5,509 posts, read 10,129,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
There are many employers that are using similar tactics these days to avoid paying benefits.

Welcome to 2010.
"these days" has been going on for quite awhile longer than that. I worked on 1099 for 3 years on a job that doesn't seem to fit the IRS guidelines for 1099. I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM

4,517 posts, read 8,202,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
"these days" has been going on for quite awhile longer than that. I worked on 1099 for 3 years on a job that doesn't seem to fit the IRS guidelines for 1099. I'm not sure what you can do about it.
Yep. It's becoming more commonplace, these days...

More and more companies are utilizing ways to avoid paying for benefits.

I don't think anything can be done about it.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM

804 posts, read 1,181,592 times
It is becoming the norm only because people are not standing up to employers.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
It is a waste of time to argue something is 'unethical' in business. Every businessperson has their own idea of what is ethical.

Illegal is a different matter. If you are the victim of their illegal acts (failure to pay wages, failure to pay insurance premiums) or they are asking you to participate in illegal acts, then you can take action on behalf of yourself.

But the relationship between the vendor and the employer is a private business matter between only those two parties. Vendors have plenty of resources to take care of themselves, they don't need your help.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
Quote:
I worked on 1099 for 3 years on a job that doesn't seem to fit the IRS guidelines for 1099. I'm not sure what you can do about it.
The White House is actually leading initiatives to crack down on this practice. The US Attorney's General office is investigating larger companies, particularly those that seem to be doing so to prevent workers from organizing. Several State's Attorney's General are also working in concert to simultaneously target specific employers operating in their states who regularly miscategorize full-time workers. The IRS is stepping up hiring of 100 investigators to find tax violations and noncompliance.

The DOL is also involved; their new law enforcement official has just spent several years enforcing the very same law working for the State of New York. It's her 'thing', finding over 30,000 violations in just two years, and collecting over $12 million in penalties.

There is something you can do about it, and ever there is a time, it's now! IRS Tax Fraud Complaint Form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment