Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

I am getting really tired of driving to these interviews for nothing - I used a half tank just to go to 3 interviews this week! Can I deduct this expense?

This is getting ridiculous, I have been to 18 interviews... one I drove a significant distance (20+ miles each way) to go there and was in the office literally 5 minutes... the guy acted like he had never even viewed my resume before I walked in the room. I feel like sending them a bill for $12!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Welcome to the "world of job hunting/interviewing"! No, there is no deduction for gas expense for looking for a job. As far as the interviewing process goes, "been there" on your anger........I'd get a call from an employer that seen my resume' on a job website and the employer would talk to me like they had never looked at my resume, or, I'd go to an interview and they would talk to me like it was the first time they had seen my resume'. They called me for the interview b/c they had received my resume', reviewed it and wanted to talk to me.......BUT, they act like they had never seen my resume'.......geshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
actually there is a deduction for job hunting expenses...on your federal tax return! Depending on your tax rate, you'll end up getting about 30% of your expenses back.

I'm no accountant, but I'd suggest at least saving all the receipts, keeping track of mileage, etc. and look it up in the tax code or ask someone that is knowledgeable about taxes.

It can be challenging to job search and interview, but always keep this in mind: if the company treated you poorly during the interview, you wouldn't want to work there anyways. I know that it is tough bc you are spending your time and effort preparing, but stick it out - it is the only way to succeed!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
You can deduct expenses related to your job search.

The ones you want to keep track of are
Agency fees
Resume writer fees/ printing fees
Travel and transportation fees
long distance phone calls

If you keep track of these expenses you can write them off at the end of the year. Here is the pink to the rules from the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf

also if you pay someone to do your taxes they should be able to help you with this stuff.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Thanks - right now I am hyperventilating since I found out there is a layover period where you will get NO check - you have to apply for the emergency unemployment compensation and get approved first... Yikes, I hope I can afford the gas to drive to these interviews. Not looking good.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Yep, above is right, also clothes, suit and tie etc for interview, dont go overboard, but you can write off some extra stuff if you do it with tact.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
lol no kidding. This doing 2-3 interviews before they give a job is insane.

I am sure glad my car gets high MPG.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
You are complaining about nothing! I am in Houston and apply for jobs in Indianapolis or Chicago and they want me to come up for an inperson interview and not reimburse that? I have to skip them and say I'd only be hired through a telephone interview! Quit complaining! 20 miles is nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search