Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Thanks to those of you who are appreciative. I would LOVE to have a sideline job where I could find jobs for people. I think it would be a lot of fun!

Sounds like a prospective new business venture! I thought about that, especially with older people (and by older, I mean in their 40s+). I think they are overlooked for the younger gen. and their experience is invaluable. Plus, they WANT the job more, so they would seem to be more devoted to making it work. Employers would not have to worry about pregnancies, hangover days, sick baby days...ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
I've been reading with a heavy heart about all the people who are out of work across the country, both in the news, online, here at C-D, etc. I know it is difficult for most people to uproot themselves and their families, but sometimes it is necessary. I just wanted to share that there are tons of jobs here in Gillette, Wyoming. The energy economy is booming here (oil, coal, methane gas), which affects all types of employment. Work is relatively easy to find here but one must be able to pass drug tests and be willing to show up for work ON TIME EVERY DAY! Jobs pay a lot here relative to the cost of living. Rent is quite high, but buying homes is reasonable. Otherwise, the cost of living is low. Our gas is $3.41/gal. right now, milk $2.69/gal., etc. Taxes are low and there is no state income tax. Utilities are also low. I just wanted to share this with those who are considering their options. I am a special ed. teacher here. We moved from Montana as I could make $17K more a year here. The schools are wonderful and the tax base allows a lot of money to be spent on education. My prayers are with all who are having a rough time right now. I've been there so I know how tough it is!
It's nice of you to put this information out there. I'm sure some people will consider this. Wyoming is a beautiful state and I hope the economy there continues the course.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
We're getting way off base here. I was just wanting to let people know that THERE ARE JOBS here. It doesn't matter to me who is interested or who is not, regardless of the reason! Debating the amount of snow in Denver vs. in the Northeast is irrelevant! Please take the intentions of the original post as they were meant to be....helping out those in need!
I agree completely. I understand that some people cannot cope or have health issues because of the snow and cold, but you are providing some good information here, and I applaud you for that.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM

23 posts, read 54,744 times
ok i have been on this computer for days looking at all the work out there,i can see there is alot of work.i have no problem with outdoor jobs(i live in the UP of MI) my thing is i dont want to fail... i have a wife and 2 kids the depend on me ..and to top it off my oldest has autism.makes me decison that much harder?
anyway what im getting at is it worth it to go out there?i allready know that it is hard to find a place to live,i am crurntly a mechanic by trade ie:skidsteers,forklifts,mini-excavators,and some big equipment.plus i can operate all that to.
its a really hard decison to make. if i do this i would leave my family here in michigan for a month or so,then come get them.? i would really like any imput from people that has move to gillette.i dont like the city life.......
thanks ,jimmy

Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Thanks GEORGIAINMT for the heads-up regarding employment in Gillette, WY!

I browsed through your local newspaper and found quite a few jobs (mainly labor, as you indicated) starting off in the $20/hr. range, and I am sure there will be overtime available to increase wages.
The Gillette News-Record: Front

I also looked at some of the rentals and there is a good price range available.

Do you have any photos of the area you can share with us? I have heard so many good things about WY and would love to see some pix of Gillette.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 54,744 times
my husband is really considering on heading out there in the near future to look for a job. he a has a pretty decent job where were at now but we still struggle to pay the bills and such. we have 2 small boys and our oldest is autistic (that's a major factor on our move out there).
i know my husband would have no problem finding a job, he can pretty much operate anything you put in front of him or fix anything.
ok now where was i going
oh yeah, i think you all are so funny talking about the weather, for me moving out there would be a picnic. winteres here are really quite harsh. we live on pretty much lake superior so we get a ton of lake effect snow which i personally think is the worse. when you get hit you get hit hard. blinding whiteouts and about a foot of snow on the road because the plows can't keep up. then you have at least 4 months of snow on the ground. and 8 or 9 months of cold to kewl weather. like i said moving there would be a picning.
ok now if anyone reads this that lives there, can someone give me a headsup on the special ed there for autism. that's my biggest worry before we do or will move that way. i need to know if there something out there that specailizes in that.
i'm not so much worried about the housing like everyone has been ranting over, i just need to know if there's an resource for my son.
thanks for letting me question and rant.
zippos wife

Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Zippo I would post on the Wyoming forum. Ask about special ed/autism resources in the Gillette area.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
Wow $2.69/gallon milk. That's a deal
My son's teacher from last year moved to Wyoming from FLORIDA. I think she was from around there originally too. But we've heard she loves it. She's really into outdoorsy activities too.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
From what I read. Housing in Gillete is scarce and rent is way up there, if you can even find a place. I don't have first hand knowledge, but the oil boom areas in ND, WY and MT are experincing this. Just from what I read. Especially Williston, ND. I guess oil field workers have been living in motel rooms for more than a year because there is no housing, or it's crazy priced.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
From what I read. Housing in Gillete is scarce and rent is way up there, if you can even find a place. I don't have first hand knowledge, but the oil boom areas in ND, WY and MT are experincing this. Just from what I read. Especially Williston, ND. I guess oil field workers have been living in motel rooms for more than a year because there is no housing, or it's crazy priced.
Well then, they will probably need construction workers and builders and all the other trades that go with building homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment