Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I am taking classes to get my AAS in Fire Science. I have been looking around and cant help but see there are a ton of people trying to get the same job I am. I am willing to move somewhere preferably in the north where it snows, to get a job but again it seems departments are overloaded with applicants. I is a bit nerve racking to think I would have to wait for years to get a shot at a fire department. So I guess im at a crossroad should I continue on or change to something I could have an easier chance at getting a job like a trade.
Packersnut,

As mentioned, get some experience, especially volunteering, EMT, etc. While you are doing this, just stay focused on your ultimate goal, and it will happen. When you do apply, make yourself stand out. I also can't stress enough the importance of staying in top physical condition.

If you are truly determined, though, it will happen in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
My husband worked for Orange County FD in Calif for quite a while as a Captain. But it took him 2 tries to get hired on. And he said when he went out for the position, there were hundreds of people trying out for the same. It's extremely competitive.

My suggestion, work your butt off and hit the gym hard. He'd been an instructor at the FBI academy and still failed his first time out trying for the fire department. It's incredibly demanding and physically taxing. He said by the far the hardest part was the physical aspect.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Default AAS not necassarily what you need

Funny you should bring this up. My husband and two oldest sons are Firefighters and EMT's. My youngest son took the route for an AAS in Fire Science and soon found out it really wasn't the way to go. He has the general college course credits, but had already gotten the training hours for other classes from our local department. He has started Paramedic school, and if I understand all of this correctly, he will end up with the equivalent to a Bachelors when he is through. My oldest started as a volunteer, then joined another department in the county that has paid FF's, aplied for a p/t spot and got it. Now he has all the training lined up for upcoming full time hire, and along with the certifications he holds, will have the job when he makes it through the physical testing. All three have taken the IFSAC testing and now have what is equivalent to the AAS and beyond. I can't explain all of it as I only hear things in passing - but I can tell you IFSAC in Kentucky is what gets you hired, along with the EMT certification.

This weekend and next is the Jefferson County Fire School (Jefferson Co. KY), and my husband and oldest son will be taking classes to become certified IFSAC intructors. What all this boils down to - very few are certified this way, it puts you to the top of the hiring list in many cases because it is not a cake walk to get.

IFSAC Home Page this will help you get a grasp of the info.

Are you a volunteer at your local department now? This is the best place to start, as you will gain the basics you need and feel your way through the process. Firefighters are a tight bunch, and it pays to start as a volunteer, get your feet wet and work your way through.

I didn't notice where you are now, but when you say 'North', remember, the pay may be better but the cost of living is usually higher. What would be equal to 35, 000 yr in KY would be maybe 50,000 in Ohio (guessing), but you have to look at the living exspenses. I could go on and on - but truly my husband has all the answers to this one. Hope some of this helped - let me know if you would like further.

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment