Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 53,216 times

Advertisements

So would it be a good idea to list my counselor from prison as a reference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need $ View Post
So would it be a good idea to list my counselor from prison as a reference?

I don't think so. Have you ever held a job? If so, and you left on a good note then by all means use them. Also use family members and friends who have a good solid work history and no convictions as personal references. I hate to tell you but you are going to have to start from the very bottom and work your way up. There is so much discrimination out here in the workforce, depending on what you look like you may face an even tougher time finding work. I know several ex cons but many don't have a degree other than a hs diploma so you have a plus. My advice would to be honest about your conviction I have heard of people being fired because eventually an employer did a background check and they found out the employee had lied.

Good Luck to you and continue to work hard.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
I think you should sue the probation officer who gave you your problem too! Sue him for lots of damage if he falsified stuff!

Don't rule out big companies, some will hire felons or don't care. I am a BSME and I worked for big companies too with my felony. And if you're gonna go homeless, then lie about your background, get hired, work until they fire you. I got hired by Schlumberger and the recruiter who presented me to them lied - said I had no felony, and Schlumberger don't hire felons, but I worked there for a 6 month temp job. When I fill out the Schlumberger application I lied I had no felony and worked my whole contract never being fired. I worked at Jacobs ESCG - NASA's primary engineering contractor - and they didn't mind my felony!

There are big and small companies that don't hire felons. Some say it's ok after 5 or 7 years pass. I had about 4 years experience when I got a felony for punching a SR Citizen when I went paranoid. I got 30 months probation, and nobody wanted to hire me for 4.5 years during probation. Recruiters left and right were dismissing me for such a long term unemployment! - You know how I got by? My brother started a business and I said I worked for him under that business during those years - hides my probation!

And I got religious to God praying that I need a good career or I'm no good for a woman and might as well be gay. So I guess God helped me because a recruiter named Jeff took a special liking to me searching and plugging for Mechanical Engineering, CAD, or Technical Writing jobs even though I was unemployed 4.5 years! He finally got me a good job that resurrected my career! So go to God too for help!

And keep your record clean so that in the future your can appeal to the Governor to expunge or seal your record. March 2009 is about 7 years since my conviction so that might be a good time to appeal for me. Felony - harder to get a job, some places - like Texas - so hard to get a good APT!

Take any CAD or eng job you can find and build about 5 years experience. Learn and do Solidworks or Proe. Then do contract jobs around the nation, where recruiters find you jobs quickly through telephone interviews around the nation. Just have enough stuff to pack up in a minivan. Get these jobs through cjhunter.com

Yeah, my life got harder because of my felony. Companies won't symphathize with you if you tell them the truth. Even if you were the best candidate, perfect for the job, - they will walk you out the door. Happened to me for 4 interviews, twice perfect for the same company. I lied at Schlumberger and got a good 6 month contract, so if you gotta pay rent, better lie sometimes.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
You spent about a 1,000 words explaining how your original conviction and probation conviction were unfair. Whatever your opinion, that is irrelevant to your potential employees and if you go into that detail during an interview I guarantee your application will be thrown in the trash. I barely got through reading all that garbage myself - "merciless justice system" - if it were merciless you would still be in jail for having sex with a child! Making excuses could indicate a lack of remorse to an interviewer. It certainly does to me.

You are a convicted felon, stop there during the interview and say no more about it. Stress the positives - the degree, staying out of trouble, references, etc.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Actually, with my felony, I make no mention of it unless asked in an interview or application. You shouldn't mention your'e unless asked too. Too bad you lived in a state where sex between minors is a felony.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think you should sue the probation officer who gave you your problem too! Sue him for lots of damage if he falsified stuff!

Don't rule out big companies, some will hire felons or don't care. I am a BSME and I worked for big companies too with my felony. And if you're gonna go homeless, then lie about your background, get hired, work until they fire you. I got hired by Schlumberger and the recruiter who presented me to them lied - said I had no felony, and Schlumberger don't hire felons, but I worked there for a 6 month temp job. When I fill out the Schlumberger application I lied I had no felony and worked my whole contract never being fired. I worked at Jacobs ESCG - NASA's primary engineering contractor - and they didn't mind my felony!

There are big and small companies that don't hire felons. Some say it's ok after 5 or 7 years pass. I had about 4 years experience when I got a felony for punching a SR Citizen when I went paranoid. I got 30 months probation, and nobody wanted to hire me for 4.5 years during probation. Recruiters left and right were dismissing me for such a long term unemployment! - You know how I got by? My brother started a business and I said I worked for him under that business during those years - hides my probation!

And I got religious to God praying that I need a good career or I'm no good for a woman and might as well be gay. So I guess God helped me because a recruiter named Jeff took a special liking to me searching and plugging for Mechanical Engineering, CAD, or Technical Writing jobs even though I was unemployed 4.5 years! He finally got me a good job that resurrected my career! So go to God too for help!

And keep your record clean so that in the future your can appeal to the Governor to expunge or seal your record. March 2009 is about 7 years since my conviction so that might be a good time to appeal for me. Felony - harder to get a job, some places - like Texas - so hard to get a good APT!

Take any CAD or eng job you can find and build about 5 years experience. Learn and do Solidworks or Proe. Then do contract jobs around the nation, where recruiters find you jobs quickly through telephone interviews around the nation. Just have enough stuff to pack up in a minivan. Get these jobs through cjhunter.com

Yeah, my life got harder because of my felony. Companies won't symphathize with you if you tell them the truth. Even if you were the best candidate, perfect for the job, - they will walk you out the door. Happened to me for 4 interviews, twice perfect for the same company. I lied at Schlumberger and got a good 6 month contract, so if you gotta pay rent, better lie sometimes.
You committed a crime, thus you must do the time. A felony is bad. I don't understand these criminals who committ all these crimes and then blame the system. Normal people go there entire lives not committing felonies, so it is a choice period. I dated an ex-con and there is a reason why they are called cons.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Martha Stewart has a felony, you think she's all bad like on the same level as a murder or rapist too?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM

522 posts, read 962,956 times
Open your own business, there are plenty of people willing to pay consultants if you find the right niche in the market place.
Do this carefully, with a plan, and if you have to mop floors for awhile to get there, do not worry, you are not alone.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 53,216 times
Thanks to all for advice. There seems to be a lot of different ways to handle this. I just wanted advice on how to present my conviction to potential employers. I gonna let them know that I'm convicted of a felony at any interview I get. I don't think being passive about it would be good. Usually you have to have some kind of application on file, and there is usually a question on there about criminal convictions, for them to find out by reading the application wouldn't be the way I would want them to find out, my conviction looks terrible on paper, and I'd want a chance to explain myself before they draw there own conclusions. There is also a two year gap in my work history when I went to prison so I have to explain that also. If I can't find a job this way I might have to go the route of lying, who knows. There seems to be a concensus though not to present myself as being a victim of the justice system, which is what I've done in my interviews so far. I guess they will form their own opinions about my behavior.

Thanks For The Advice

Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Hi

Wow that is one complex situation and I'm so sorry you had to go through all that mess. The justice system isn't perfect and can be filled with bitter and malicious people. Lawyers don't get a bad reputation for nothing. Remember "witches" were once burnt at the stake and many innocent people have been sentenced to prison. Justice systems sometimes do more harm than good and expect you to get a job after all that mess...it is insane. Like the person forced to wear an A in the Scarlett Letter.

Social workers and people in the mental health field are sometimes crazy and evil. They sometimes come from dysfunctional and terrible backgrounds and will exploit other people when they can. It sounds like they were working against you, from what you said.

A lot of people without criminal records have a hard time getting a job, so others know the feeling of job searches and tough interviews.

I don't really have much advice but judgmental people like to hear these cliche terms from those that do not have a sparkling clean perfect background check, "I made a mistake and I've learned from it and I'm willing to do my best" It is cliche but it's what people want to hear.....

I personally do not think you have to defend or explain yourself since you did your time and that was bad enough as it is, on top of that you have the right to work, to make money, to be happy and to survive. You really do not owe anybody or any hiring manager any explanations or any information unless you are applying to a daycare center or a school. Just remember that and don't let any judgmental jerks drag you down because there are tons of those types.

Other random advice:

Move to a state were the laws are more liberal.

Check out some books on jobs/interviews/resumes at the local library.

Keep researching online and talking to people on this forum.

Attend a church of your choice and make new buddies and get a fresh start that way. The more conservative churches may judge you really harshly so maybe you could try a moderate or liberal church.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-26-2008 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search